Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GB "Feels the Love" for 4 more years...
What happens when you pay $50m a year for a QB and never get close to a championship? ...........Oh, never mind.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FLVike's post:

(07-27-2024, 01:31 PM)FLVike Wrote: What happens when you pay $50m a year for a QB and never get close to a championship? ...........Oh, never mind.

Try and try again? For what it’s worth, no QB making $50M a year has ever won a Super Bowl.

(07-27-2024, 12:43 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: Sure it's crazy, but like everything else it's all relative. Think about this: my parents bought their house in 1963 for $12,000. Terms were $150 down and paint your way in. Two years ago I sold my rental in Denver, a much smaller house, for $945,000. 

The Wilfs bought the Vikings in 2005 for $600M. Vikings estimated value right now is $4.65B. 

Don't know what annual NFL revenue was when Marino played, but in 2001 it was $4B. It's now roughly $20B. Guessing when Marino played in the 80s and 90s it was well under a billion. NFL projects revenue to be $25B by 2027.

True, it's just crazy when you consider what Marino meant to the organization and the caliber of player he was in contrast to Tua...who is a mid tier QB by most standards. 

Point of the story: raise your sons up to play quarterback folks..

(07-27-2024, 01:31 PM)FLVike Wrote: What happens when you pay $50m a year for a QB and never get close to a championship? ...........Oh, never mind.

It still takes a team, no matter what anyone says.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zanary's post:

(07-27-2024, 04:29 PM)Zanary Wrote: It still takes a team, no matter what anyone says.

100%.

(07-27-2024, 04:06 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: Try and try again? For what it’s worth, no QB making $50M a year has ever won a Super Bowl.

Yep. I saw some stats on this, the $50M+ and above crowd barely has a winning record in the playoffs and 0-3 in Superbowls.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

He's a Packer therefore he sucks!

(07-28-2024, 06:31 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: 100%.

Yep. I saw some stats on this, the $50M+ and above crowd barely has a winning record in the playoffs and 0-3 in Superbowls.

would be more interesting to see it in a % of the cap vs dollars as the 50 million QB contract is a fairly new benchmark.

(08-02-2024, 03:50 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: would be more interesting to see it in a % of the cap vs dollars as the 50 million QB contract is a fairly new benchmark.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking.

I promise you that the NFL and NFLPA provides statistics and benchmarking on avg pay per position, per years of service and per performance statistics.
As the NFL continues to become more global, the media machine will continue to spew out eyeballs and money.  More eyeballs = more revenue.
More revenue (as the revshare split with the NFLPA is negotiated), more salary for players.
But at some point, what is your assurance when a $50mm QB goes down to injury that you have the rest of your investment protected?

And I do agree that they will eventually (within 3-5 years) go to 18 games.  That 3rd pre-season game does not have the same value to the owners/NFL as a regular season game.  I don't even watch them anymore...haven't for years (this year is an exception...I want to see JJM take a few snaps and I want to see that new "dynamic kickoff return" being executed).

Along the lines of how deep are the pockets of fans...I got season tickets to the local college team again this year, and so that means 8 home games (up from 7 last year).  Plus playoffs (last year the Montana Grizzlies went to the FCS National Championship Game.  I think it was 3 home games and then off to Frisco, TX.  Next year, they've already published the opponents and they are going to 9 home games (plus playoffs).  We're 2 1/2 hours away and some of them are night games (which may mean spending the night). My question relates to the football fan enthusiast dollar.   

At what point does college/NFL football get saturated and no longer can get expand further?  There has to be a finite limit, doesn't there?

For me the college game is broken with the transfer portal and the conference realignments that took place the last few years.

I dont know where the finite limit is for the NFL? Hell, they are going to be playing in Sudan one of these days in addition to Brazil.

The world is a big place and beyond just North America...Just as soon as I start thinking the league may have peaked? The ratings go up and so do the television contracts and team values.

(08-02-2024, 04:20 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: For me the college game is broken with the transfer portal and the conference realignments that took place the last few years.

I dont know where the finite limit is for the NFL? Hell, they are going to be playing in Sudan one of these days in addition to Brazil.

The world is a big place and beyond just North America...Just as soon as I start thinking the league may have peaked? The ratings go up and so do the television contracts and team values.

Don't get me started on the NIL shit, it's insanity. Why is it it has to go to one extreme (players can't be paid a cent for their likeness, etc.) to they can make over a million a year before they've played one down of college sports? Now these Super PAC alumni groups in college football just buy players like they are at an auction. Players commit, then back out, commit somewhere else, etc. keep blowing up their NIL money to larger amounts. But this college playoff format is going to make CFB much more popular....its overdue and fans have been chomping at the bit for it.

The NFL is just a perfect sports watching entity: It works wonderfully on a TV screen. It's ideal. Great to watch at these modern Disneyland stadiums being built. Millions of fans dedicate their WHOLE Sunday to watch the games, plan parties, go to sports bars, have cookouts, tailgate, etc. Every Sunday is an event, every game has meaning. Generations of families bond over it, including strangers you see wearing your favorite team's jersey. Its increasing popularity is unbelievable. The change in direction to parity under Pete Rozelle was genius. Brilliant. The NFL is at a point right now where they've got a ton of legit QB talent under 28-29 years old that could elevate them even further. Dueling, faces-of-the-franchise QBs creating must see TV matchups in prime time is a gold mine for the league and the all-important fence sitting demographic.

Back to the topic, Jordan Love: he could be a good one. But the jury is still out, although his new contract says otherwise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post: