Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Yikes
The NFL has lost its mind with QB salaries. So now one pretty good half of a season gets you this?

https://twitter.com/TPPSkol/status/1803589800408351011
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(06-20-2024, 12:17 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: The NFL has lost its mind with QB salaries. So now one pretty good half of a season gets you this?

https://twitter.com/TPPSkol/status/1803589800408351011

For all intents and purposes, there are only two kinds of QBs in the NFL: the ones you keep and the ones you replace. The ones you keep, you pay. And whether they are "good" "great" or "elite" has very little bearing on how much you pay them. That is based mostly on WHEN you pay them. The more recent the contract, the higher the pay.  

So yes, Jordan Love will be the highest paid QB in the NFL when the time comes and nobody should be surprised by that. I just hope we're saying the same thing about JJM 4 years from now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(06-22-2024, 11:12 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: For all intents and purposes, there are only two kinds of QBs in the NFL: the ones you keep and the ones you replace. The ones you keep, you pay. And whether they are "good" "great" or "elite" has very little bearing on how much you pay them. That is based mostly on WHEN you pay them. The more recent the contract, the higher the pay.  

So yes, Jordan Love will be the highest paid QB in the NFL when the time comes and nobody should be surprised by that. I just hope we're saying the same thing about JJM 4 years from now.

Unfortunately, highest paid QB doesn't mean most successful QB. Its why now owners are looking to have a salary cap on QBs. Its gotten stupid. Its trending towards rewarding unrealized potential and parts of seasons. Slippery slope.

A separate cap for QB's is a matter of when and not if imo.

I heard someone today theorizing that once Danny Dimes got his $40mm a year, every agent for an NFL QB was incredulous and salivating.

(06-22-2024, 04:40 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: A separate cap for QB's is a matter of when and not if imo.

I heard someone today theorizing that once Danny Dimes got his $40mm a year, every agent for an NFL QB was incredulous and salivating.

Yeah that seemed to break some ice for a player that shouldn't have been the ice breaker, you know? Now look at the situation New York is in with DD. I still think Love has some proving to do, but he's going to be paid as the #1 QB in football. Not sure this is what owners had intended but agents always find a way to break through in areas unforeseen.

(06-22-2024, 11:12 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: For all intents and purposes, there are only two kinds of QBs in the NFL: the ones you keep and the ones you replace. The ones you keep, you pay. And whether they are "good" "great" or "elite" has very little bearing on how much you pay them. That is based mostly on WHEN you pay them. The more recent the contract, the higher the pay.  

Only if he has earned it, if they pay him out of fear, and that's what's drives this stupidity is fear that they next guy may be worse, them those GMs should be fired. If they aren't the best then they shouldn't get paid that way, only the best should be resetting the markets. It's not the agents faults that the GMs are shitty and have created a system that rewards mediocrity by bucking to the demands.

I would rather they lose him to free agency than to see them get handcuffed like so many other teams have been.

(06-23-2024, 09:32 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: Only if he has earned it,  if they pay him out of fear,  and that's what's drives this stupidity is fear that they next guy may be worse,  them those GMs should be fired.  If they aren't the best then they shouldn't get paid that way,  only the best should be resetting the markets.  It's not the agents faults that the GMs are shitty and have created a system that rewards mediocrity by bucking to the demands. 

I would rather they lose him to free agency than to see them get handcuffed like so many other teams have been.

The issue is it just takes one shitty, desperate GM to set the market, i.e. Danny Dimes and the Giants. Now the standard is set and the only place to go is up. Or the Deshaun Watson trade and contract. 90% of the GMs can be solid, it takes just a few to turn things upside down. Include Russ Wilson in that when he went to Denver.

(06-22-2024, 01:15 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: Unfortunately, highest paid QB doesn't mean most successful QB. Its why now owners are looking to have a salary cap on QBs. Its gotten stupid. Its trending towards rewarding unrealized potential and parts of seasons. Slippery slope.

But QB salary increases aren’t really outpacing team revenue and cap increases. Average revenue went up 14% last year, salary cap went up a similar amount and I suspect if you do the math, QB salaries will have increased by that same amount. 

QB salaries represent a higher percentage of cap now than they used to (at the expense of RBs and IOLs I suspect). But I think that’s in keeping with how important the position has become to modern offenses.

(06-24-2024, 07:20 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: But QB salary increases aren’t really outpacing team revenue and cap increases. Average revenue went up 14% last year, salary cap went up a similar amount and I suspect if you do the math, QB salaries will have increased by that same amount. 

QB salaries represent a higher percentage of cap now than they used to (at the expense of RBs and IOLs I suspect). But I think that’s in keeping with how important the position has become to modern offenses.

Not true.  https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5512446...s-in-otas/

From 2018 to 2023, the NFL’s highest-paid quarterback saw their APY increase a total of 64 percent, while the NFL’s salary cap increased just 26.5 percent.

[Image: Quarterbacks%20and%20their%20rising%20salaries.png]

And it’s not just the top of the market that has benefitted. The tenth-highest QB salary in 2018, Joe Flacco’s $22 million, covered 12.4 percent of the cap. In 2023, Josh Allen’s $43 million ranked 10th, but still covered 19.1 percent (which is more than Rodgers, the highest-paid QB, took up in 2018).

[Image: Quarterbacks%20and%20rising%20salary%20c...283%29.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(06-24-2024, 07:26 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5512446...s-in-otas/

From 2018 to 2023, the NFL’s highest-paid quarterback saw their APY increase a total of 64 percent, while the NFL’s salary cap increased just 26.5 percent.

[Image: Quarterbacks%20and%20their%20rising%20salaries.png]

And it’s not just the top of the market that has benefitted. The tenth-highest QB salary in 2018, Joe Flacco’s $22 million, covered 12.4 percent of the cap. In 2023, Josh Allen’s $43 million ranked 10th, but still covered 19.1 percent (which is more than Rodgers, the highest-paid QB, took up in 2018).

[Image: Quarterbacks%20and%20rising%20salary%20c...283%29.png]

Interesting. I looked for the numbers on this but couldn't find it. So I stand corrected. It looks like QB salaries are actually outpacing cap increases. Not that it matters much to owners, who make money regardless.  

But I think all of this ties to how important the QB position has become in the last 10 years. The % of cap number is the real eye opener. Back when Cousins signed his deal with Minnesota, a number in the mid teens was considered very high. Now it's the mid 20s.