Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Yikes
[Image: GP_R4fwXgAEmJbn?format=jpg&name=large]

a 10% success rate from that draft? Pretty piss poor.
I think it is possible that Zach Wilson, Trey Lance and Justin Fields may resurrect their careers, whether as a backup or marginal starter.
I also think it validates that taking any QB in the draft and trying to put them on the field in their first year is fraught with failure.

Which then validates KOC's strategy of sitting JJM and building his NFL skills at a measured pace, rather than throwing him out there like has happened to so many top college QBs who then went to bad teams and floundered.

The lone exception here, Trevor Lawrence, deserves a congratulations for succeeding despite long odds.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post:

(06-14-2024, 12:25 PM)Montana Tom Wrote: a 10% success rate from that draft?  Pretty piss poor.
I think it is possible that Zach Wilson, Trey Lance and Justin Fields may resurrect their careers, whether as a backup or marginal starter.
I also think it validates that taking any QB in the draft and trying to put them on the field in their first year is fraught with failure.

Which then validates KOC's strategy of sitting JJM and building his NFL skills at a measured pace, rather than throwing him out there like has happened to so many top college QBs who then went to bad teams and floundered.

The lone exception here, Trevor Lawrence, deserves a congratulations for succeeding despite long odds.

I would have picked those 3 out of the list too...

IF they had been reared right? Little more surround?

All 3 of those NFL Franchises got their hands dirty...I expected it out of Bears/Jets, not the 49'ers. Lance also had the steepest hill to climb of those 3.

Even Lawrence isn't particularly special. He's been basically average, though he did just get paid like a guy who puts a team on his back and carries it to a title. Nice gig if you can get it.
[-] The following 2 users Like comet52's post:

(06-14-2024, 02:06 PM)comet52 Wrote: Even Lawrence isn't particularly special.  He's been basically average, though he did just get paid like a guy who puts a team on his back and carries it to a title.  Nice gig if you can get it.

What were their options?
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

I'm hoping JJM gets to sit this season. However, his circumstance is different. He is walking into an offense that is borderline elite. Most of the first round qb's go to teams without a lot of talent. The exception on that list is probably Trey Lance.

(06-14-2024, 02:06 PM)comet52 Wrote: Even Lawrence isn't particularly special.  He's been basically average, though he did just get paid like a guy who puts a team on his back and carries it to a title.  Nice gig if you can get it.

Well, that's kind of the point....not many can do it even to an average level. And Lawrence still has upside, he's 24 years old. Paying on the come is part of the NFL QB game now.

I’d be curious to see some analytics guy try to separate out how much of an effect a bad team has on a prospect.  Like if you take all of these guys and put them on the 49ers, what percentage of them would still look like busts and what percentage would look like a QB you’d give a second contract to?  Like there’s probably not that many QBs that can get put into a bottom 5 situation and resurrect that team in spite of bad coaching, bad supporting cast and whatnot, much less do it as a rookie.

(06-14-2024, 02:19 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: What were their options?

Your options are to draft a QB to compete with him before you need to ... or ... you don't and you pay the price.

... What's up with this software sticking my two posts together?

What about the 2020 draft? All good QBs so far through round 2. 2021 was a stinker for sure.,Lets hope 2024 trends more in towards 2020.

(06-14-2024, 02:42 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: Well, that's kind of the point....not many can do it even to an average level. And Lawrence still has upside, he's 24 years old. Paying on the come is part of the NFL QB game now.

That's why I said it's a nice gig. You're getting paid a lot of guaranteed coin to be something you may never become.

Even if I don't think paying huge money to a wideout is sensible team building, I can recognize that Jefferson's production makes him worthy of his payday. Lawrence is an average guy getting paid like a superstar because teams are now so qb-centric that their decision making is completely warped at times.

I don't like it but I'm sure player agents do as they are pulling the strings.

Let's just hope if the Vikings get to this point with JJM that it's because he's genuinely worth it, not a hookah full of hopium like Trevor Lawrence.