Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaquelin Roy
Are Jaq Roy and Levi Drake Rodriguez our future up front? Roy was billed as a project in the draft. Tools are there, but he needed more experience. 

Louis Riddick called Roy one of his favorite sleepers in the draft: “Even though he was not a regular starter for LSU, this guy has all of the tools to be a dominant NFL defensive tackle,” Riddick wrote. “If Roy is drafted by a team with a good defensive line room and position coach, he is going to be a breakout star of this draft.”

https://twitter.com/vikingzfanpage/statu...1241039916
[-] The following 3 users Like MaroonBells's post:

Had Roy stayed in school for his senior year instead of entering the draft early, there is a good chance he would have been an early day 2 pick this year. He was a great project pick in the 5th and has all the tools to be a solid contributor to the DL which we desperately need, can make up for not having a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JR44's post:

We'll see on LDR... he had a lot of fans in our FO and scouts. He's definitely got the right attitude and work ethic but it's a big jump from where he played to the NFL.

Roy on the other hand has had some time to develop and made some plays in limited action last year. Quick strong kid out of LSU. He's been overlooked when we've discussed our DL this offseason but he has a chance to be a regular contributor this year. Hopefully he emerges cuz we could use a little more pass rush juice up front to free up Greenard, Dallas, Van Ginkel, and Pace to wreak havoc.

I think he's ready to show this year. Would be a much needed presence at DT. He's got very good physical ability, lets see if he can develop into a starter. He's sudden in the interior. You know he's got innate ability if he went to LSU, hopefully it keeps developing. Younger guy, just 23 years old.

(06-01-2024, 10:57 AM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: We'll see on LDR...  he had a lot of fans in our FO and scouts. He's definitely got the right attitude and work ethic but it's a big jump from where he played to the NFL.

Roy on the other hand has had some time to develop and made some plays in limited action last year.  Quick strong kid out of LSU.  He's been overlooked when we've discussed our DL this offseason but he has a chance to be a regular contributor this year.  Hopefully he emerges cuz we could use a little more pass rush juice up front to free up Greenard, Dallas, Van Ginkel, and Pace to wreak havoc.

It's easy to fall in love with the upside of a player like LDR. But it's important to remind ourselves that he was drafted in the 7th round for a reason, with 231 players going before him. It's a half court long shot for a player from a tiny Texas college to make the leap to the NFL.

But I love 7th rounders like this. I love that the first time he faced draftable talent at the Tropical Bowl he dominated it with 3.5 sacks winning the game's MVP. I love that he's showing up before staff at OTAs in the dark hours before dawn, and then being a ball of energy during practices. 

To make the leap from Nowhere Texas to the NFL you probably have to have some special qualities. Sounds like LDR has a few.
[-] The following 3 users Like MaroonBells's post:

(06-02-2024, 08:22 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: It's easy to fall in love with the upside of a player like LDR. But it's important to remind ourselves that he was drafted in the 7th round for a reason, with 231 players going before him. It's a half court long shot for a player from a tiny Texas college to make the leap to the NFL.

But I love 7th rounders like this. I love that the first time he faced draftable talent at the Tropical Bowl he dominated it with 3.5 sacks winning the game's MVP. I love that he's showing up before staff at OTAs in the dark hours before dawn, and then being a ball of energy during practices. 

To make the leap from Nowhere Texas to the NFL you probably have to have some special qualities. Sounds like LDR has a few.

He's going to have to get stronger. I'm skeptical if he (LDR) has the physicality needed to be a DT in the NFL. He's got the motor, he's got the desire, but he doesn't have the athleticism I don't believe. If he gets any bigger, he'll lose what nimbleness he has. We'll see.

I would like to point out that one John Randle had neither the size nor the big college resume to be drafted anywhere in the draft. With 50 years of watching the nfl and the greatest of greats come and go I will remind the board that it is what you do with the opportunity once given the chance that seperates the greats from the goods from the career back-ups...

People sleep peacably at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
[-] The following 4 users Like rf54's post:

(06-02-2024, 12:20 PM)rf54 Wrote: I would like to point out that one John Randle had neither the size nor the big college resume to be drafted anywhere in the draft.  With 50 years of watching the nfl and the greatest of greats come and go I will remind the board that it is what you do with the opportunity once given the chance that seperates the greats from the goods from the career back-ups...

Are you suggesting that LDR could possibly be the next reincarnation of one John Randle?

(06-03-2024, 03:58 PM)Montana Tom Wrote: Are you suggesting that LDR could possibly be the next reincarnation of one John Randle?

Wouldn't that be great Tom.

(06-03-2024, 03:58 PM)Montana Tom Wrote: Are you suggesting that LDR could possibly be the next reincarnation of one John Randle?

No, I am saying none of us know.  Could he be?  Sure, will he be?  probably not, but then again... why not LDR?
People sleep peacably at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.