Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Major Juice
(05-28-2024, 02:57 PM)bigbone62 Wrote: Plain and simple there was never much need for him to go out and have 30 plus attempts on a regular basis or to make frequent splash plays. Doesn't mean the talent isn't there. How often have we had to listen to MN fans drone on about wins being the only stat that matters? And that a QB who wins with average stats is better than a guy with a losing record but gaudy stats?

34-2 record in highschool. 27-1 record as a starter at Michigan. Third best win percentage by a starting QB in NCAAF history. Won a highschool state championship, highschool concensus national championship, three Big 10 championships and NCAAF national championship. I'd say that's a winner.

As for the system protecting him. Play defense, run the ball, control the clock.They excelled at these things, should they have went away from that formula just so JJM could be more appealing to fans?  They were tied for first with 40 rushing TDs. Their average scoring margin was second best at 25.5 points. Not exactly a reason to go out and throw the ball around when you are up big early and often.

As I recall, the phrase "garbage stats" used to be thrown around here often. If he had more stats in games where they were up 20 points early would that make people more comfortable? Or would they be garbage stats?

What's funny is that "garbage time" is loosely meant to define offensive efforts when two or more scores ahead/behind late in the game...so, on one hand, it's padding a lead, on another, it's scoring a few futile points...

...on yet another, it's accomplishing major comebacks, despite the very stats involved in the comeback falling under "garbage" definitions. I've always found that logic desperately flawed, especially when it was applied to a recent Vikings QB.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

(05-28-2024, 09:31 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: the biggest thing will be to see if he can control that cannon,  touch IMO is more important that velocity on many pro level throws,  the "window" is rarely there as often as there is a  bucket to drop them into.

Exactly what I was thinking, Jimmy.  
You've got to throw a "catchable" ball, too.  
I remember when Packers WR's would joke about having an "X" embedded in their chest from catching one of Favre's famous rifle shots in the midsection.

(05-28-2024, 04:40 PM)Montana Tom Wrote: Exactly what I was thinking, Jimmy.  
You've got to throw a "catchable" ball, too.  
I remember when Packers WR's would joke about having an "X" embedded in their chest from catching one of Favre's famous rifle shots in the midsection.

They didn't track velocity back then, but I'd love to know what Favre's was. Jeff George and John Elway too. I did hear that the Broncos would set the jugs machine at 70 MPH to prepare the receivers for Elways rockets.

(05-28-2024, 01:15 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: I was pretty high on Penix,  especially in November,  but JJ was a in there with Nix as my favorite 3,  never could get on board with the first 3,  just think the best of the draft will come from the next group.

I meant to respond to Stickerbuns, but yes, me and you were high on Penix.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FLVike's post:

(05-28-2024, 02:57 PM)bigbone62 Wrote: Plain and simple there was never much need for him to go out and have 30 plus attempts on a regular basis or to make frequent splash plays. Doesn't mean the talent isn't there. How often have we had to listen to MN fans drone on about wins being the only stat that matters? And that a QB who wins with average stats is better than a guy with a losing record but gaudy stats?

34-2 record in highschool. 27-1 record as a starter at Michigan. Third best win percentage by a starting QB in NCAAF history. Won a highschool state championship, highschool concensus national championship, three Big 10 championships and NCAAF national championship. I'd say that's a winner.

As for the system protecting him. Play defense, run the ball, control the clock.They excelled at these things, should they have went away from that formula just so JJM could be more appealing to fans?  They were tied for first with 40 rushing TDs. Their average scoring margin was second best at 25.5 points. Not exactly a reason to go out and throw the ball around when you are up big early and often.

As I recall, the phrase "garbage stats" used to be thrown around here often. If he had more stats in games where they were up 20 points early would that make people more comfortable? Or would they be garbage stats?

Forgot the "BOOM"

His passing splits last season are crazy...  almost twice as many attempts in the first half compared to the second half.  And then you dig further and his attempts in the 4th quarter for the season are about as many as some QBs had in one game.

Michigan was so dominate last year, they built big leads most of the team and then ground it out in the 4th quarter.  Smart plan with that defense and Blake Corum at RB and winning QB who was top 2 in efficiency on 3rd downs.

If Michigan threw as much in the 2nd half as they did in the first half...  McCarthy would have been around 4,000 yards, 28-30 TDs, and 6-8 INTs.  Very similar passing stats to Caleb Williams...  Would that change the narrative on him a bit?  

Pretty impressive considering didn't have a first round WR to throw to, let alone two like Jayden Daniels.  Caleb Williams had Addison two years ago during his Heisman season.  Penix had Odunze who went #9.  If JJ can handle the mental load of the NFL, he'll be a really good QB for us.  

BOOM

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 6 users Like MAD GAINZ's post:

(05-28-2024, 10:20 AM)FLVike Wrote: I think it was back in November when I mentioned him and that I thought he was pretty good and you said that was your guy. He definitely looks promising.

Since I see you meant to respond to me, yeah this was my guy from the start. Pretty rare for me to lock onto any player like this and quietly root for him in purple, but I feel JJM can be special. I'm the kind of fan that will find the positives on unknowns like a rookie, so if Minnesota went another way at QB, I'd find the good until proven otherwise. Again, not saying he's perfect. But he's got excellent intangibles as well. He'll be a fan favorite, IMO.

I'm all in on JJM with the rest of you, but I'm not sure I buy the top 1% arm strength thing. Unless I'm going crazy, does it not seem like Darnold is throwing the ball harder than McCarthy in the OTA highlights? Idk how the numbers in OP's post are measured and I'm not disputing them, it just doesn't quite line up with what I'm seeing with my eyes so far.

Both guys have plus arms, which is great. Looking forward to watching them play in purple for real.

(05-29-2024, 08:21 AM)pattersaur Wrote: I'm all in on JJM with the rest of you, but I'm not sure I buy the top 1% arm strength thing. Unless I'm going crazy, does it not seem like Darnold is throwing the ball harder than McCarthy in the OTA highlights? Idk how the numbers in OP's post are measured and I'm not disputing them, it just doesn't quite line up with what I'm seeing with my eyes so far.

Both guys have plus arms, which is great. Looking forward to watching them play in purple for real.

I wouldn't put too much weight on passes thrown at OTAs. I think a good QB uses plus arm strength as a tool to use only when needed. John Elway's early struggles were because he used only one speed: FULL. It took him a few years to realize he was better off varying his velocity based on route and coverage.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(05-29-2024, 08:21 AM)pattersaur Wrote: I'm all in on JJM with the rest of you, but I'm not sure I buy the top 1% arm strength thing. Unless I'm going crazy, does it not seem like Darnold is throwing the ball harder than McCarthy in the OTA highlights? Idk how the numbers in OP's post are measured and I'm not disputing them, it just doesn't quite line up with what I'm seeing with my eyes so far.

JJM has been learning to throw with more air and touch (going back to preseason before his last year at Michigan), so he's not unloading very often. I see a lot of 'placement' throws from him in OTAs footage, trying to be accurate. Once he gets more confident, understands where guys will be on plays and playing against a live defense, you'll see the vapor trail throws into tight windows.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(05-29-2024, 09:48 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: JJM has been learning to throw with more air and touch (going back to preseason before his last year at Michigan), so he's not unloading very often. I see a lot of 'placement' throws from him in OTAs footage, trying to be accurate. Once he gets more confident, understands where guys will be on plays and playing against a live defense, you'll see the vapor trail throws into tight windows.

Great points by you and MB about him working on touch right now. Makes sense. Also confirms I'm not going crazy, so that's nice too.