Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
My rookie year predictions for all 6 QBs
Caleb Williams
I think he’s going to be all over the map—unbelievable Sportscenter plays mixed with a few too many turnovers. He will single-handedly win (and lose) a handful of games. With Williams under center, Chicago will become a legit playoff contender in 2024. But at the end of the season, the same questions will remain: Can the Bears get him to play in structure? Should they even try? 

Jayden Daniels
A skittish QB and a terrible line is a bad combination. Depending on who you ask, the Commanders have either the worst offensive line in the NFL or the 2nd worst. The whole situation screams “sit Daniels”, but the temptation to play such a great athlete will be too strong and Daniels will become the starter early on. When that happens, it’s going to be hard for Daniels to remain disciplined in a chaotic pocket. He sure wasn't at LSU. The Lamar Jackson comps are legit, but the big difference is that the Ravens had one of the NFL's best offensive lines when LJ took over. 

Drake Maye
Maye needs a lot of work. Even the Patriots said so at OTAs. Plus, he’s coming into a terrible situation. Patriots have a bottom 5 offensive line and their WR/TE group has to be the worst in the NFL. Wisely, I think the Pats will play Brissett and sit Maye for most of the season.

Michael Penix
Penix sits all year, while Cousins, Bijan and company turn the Falcons into a playoff team, while their fans wonder how much they could have improved their chances in the playoffs if they had simply added a top 8 talent to their roster.

JJ McCarthy
Given the best surround he’s ever had, Sam Darnold is going to have a breakout season with the Vikings, who will hover just under .500 at mid year, with the easier part of their schedule upcoming. There will be questions about switching QBs as the Vikings flirt with a winning record and compete for a playoff berth. But KOC will stick with Darnold, saving JJ’s debut for 2025. 

Bo Nix
With exception of maybe Williams, Nix will have the best season of all the rookies. He’s more experienced and he’s older than the others. Plus, the Broncos’ supporting cast isn’t terrible. Sean Payton will give him an offense to run that plays to Nix's strengths and hides his weaknesses. Payton will look wise (and smug of course), but it won’t last. Of all the QBs, I think Nix’s early career is the most likely to mirror that of Mac Jones or Baker Mayfield: a promising start that fades a little as the playbook expands.
[-] The following 3 users Like MaroonBells's post:

I agree JJ/Penix will be the least likely to see the field in 24.

I do think that not only will Maye play in 24, but will play earlier than advised.

Good call on Nix; decent surround, Payton, high floor out of college.

Wanna bet we'll hear fans claiming Vikes made a mistake on JJ and should have taken Nix in that scenario???

(05-19-2024, 02:08 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I agree JJ/Penix will be the least likely to see the field in 24.

I do think that not only will Maye play in 24, but will play earlier than advised.

Good call on Nix; decent surround, Payton, high floor out of college.

Wanna bet we'll hear fans claiming Vikes made a mistake on JJ and should have taken Nix in that scenario???

[Image: yA5pOE.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

There's already a few fans who have been conspicuous by their silence over drafting JJM so they can pounce and say he's a bust.

(05-19-2024, 02:23 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: [Image: yA5pOE.gif]

(05-19-2024, 03:55 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: There's already a few fans who have been conspicuous by their silence over drafting JJM so they can pounce and say he's a bust.

And even if the Vikings do the probable right thing (sit jj for the season) we'll hear how he cant even beat out Darnold. 

As an aside, with the schedule out, there is already local media musings on when JJ will start this season.
[-] The following 2 users Like purplefaithful's post:

I think the one constant regardless of the QB is going to be overreaction by the media, either positive or negative. A micromanaging of each play, game or lack thereof during any games played during the season and then the daily media reporting volatility of training camp (Maye looked amazing, Daniels is struggling with X, blah blah blah). Younger fans by the time the regular season starts, will already designate some guys as busts and others as the GOAT. We've seen other rookie QBs that play a bunch have decent Year Ones but then fade away into the abyss. Anyone else think Bryce Young maybe should have played less last season? The media is on the Jordan Love bandwagon yet seem to conveniently forgot how long he sat. This shit already about JJM maybe winning the starting job in week 1 is typical podcast/shock take fodder for the machine.

(05-19-2024, 03:55 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: There's already a few fans who have been conspicuous by their silence over drafting JJM so they can pounce and say he's a bust.

I will admit, I have my reservations, I love the kids attitude and apparent desire to be Viking, but his lack of experience in the college ranks leaves me wondering if he is what some think he will be, I would have liked to seen at least one more year on his resume. I was at a corporate thing last week with 4 guys from Michigan and they all said the same thing when one of my co-workers asked if we have a good one... "hes a great kid", "great leader", "good work ethic", none wanted to come out and say we have out QB of the future, of course they were all Lions fans, so maybe they were a little shell shocked by Goffs new contract.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

(05-20-2024, 09:09 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: I will admit,  I have my reservations,  I love the kids attitude and apparent desire to be Viking,  but his lack of experience in the college ranks leaves me wondering if he is what some think he will be,  I would have liked to seen at least one more year on his resume.  I was at a corporate thing last week with 4 guys from Michigan and they all said the same thing when one of my co-workers asked if we have a good one... "hes a great kid",  "great leader", "good work ethic",  none wanted to come out and say we have out QB of the future,  of course they were all Lions fans, so maybe they were a little shell shocked by Goffs new contract.

JJM is no sure thing, he can bust for sure.....for the reasons you mention. I won't deny its not a concern for me. But I'd have some kind of concern for any QB chosen. But they all have a clean slate as of this moment so I'm just hopeful about McCarthy. I speak more to those few that haven't mentioned any upside, but sit in silence waiting for him to fail. Its fandom for some I suppose.

(05-20-2024, 09:19 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: JJM is no sure thing, he can bust for sure.....for the reasons you mention. I won't deny its not a concern for me. But I'd have some kind of concern for any QB chosen. But they all have a clean slate as of this moment so I'm just hopeful about McCarthy. I speak more to those few that haven't mentioned any upside, but sit in silence waiting for him to fail. Its fandom for some I suppose.

I dont think there is any poster on here that has banged the let them sit a year drum longer or louder than me, but at the same time, I love seeing the kids get a chance to get out there and show where they are at in their development. It one thing I always loved about HS football, once the game is decided, typically both coaches us the last few minutes to get the underclassmen some reps so you get to see the kids grow up in the game, would be cool if there was a way the NFL could get their younger guys reps in meaningless games and situations outside of the couple of preseason games. I love to see the players develop.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

(05-20-2024, 09:23 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: I dont think there is any poster on here that has banged the let them sit a year drum longer or louder than me,  but at the same time,  I love seeing the kids get a chance to get out there and show where they are at in their development.  It one thing I always loved about HS football,  once the game is decided,  typically both coaches us the last few minutes to get the underclassmen some reps so you get to see the kids grow up in the game,  would be cool if there was a way the NFL could get their younger guys reps in meaningless games and situations outside of the couple of preseason games.  I love to see the players develop.

What sticks out in my memory, jimmy, is when Trey Lance was drafted and what the 49ers gave up and you straight up thought it was a big mistake. Said he didn't play enough CFB. And you were right. I mean, didn't he play like one game his last year in college and sat the rest of the season so he wouldnt get injured? That's nuts. He played at North Dakota State, he needed every rep he could get. He basically played one season out of 3 he was there.