Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I can take 30 players...
“I can take 30 players right now in the NBA and throw them in the NFL. You cannot take 30 NFL players and put them in the NBA.” - Austin Rivers

This has been a big battle online ever since Rivers said this, with many NFL players screaming foul. But I tend to agree with Rivers. Sure, it's an exaggeration. At the pro level, everything is so refined I doubt any player from either league would be able to cross over, unless they've played the sport before.

But I think it's true at the high school and college level. Football is all about height/weight/speed. If you've got it--if you're 6-5, 260 and run a 4.5 forty, even if you've never even played the game before--you can make a high school or college football team. They'll find a place for you. But none of that helps you play shortstop or shooting guard or hit a 90 MPH cutter. Those are skills refined over decades.

I can find 30 players off the street for both leagues so what's the point?
[-] The following 1 user Likes FLVike's post:

I don't think it would be an issue to find 30 players in the NFL who could take the ball to the hoop, take 10 steps and knock out everyone who is in there way without a travel call and then whine about about every play, flop whenever they are touched and act like a complete arrogant, entitled baby on and off the court. Totally unwatchable sport, would not be bragging about the players in that league when most of them are a complete embarrassment.

Will those 30 NBA players be able to walk off the field? THAT is the question.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vanguard83's post:

(05-12-2024, 05:08 PM)JR44 Wrote: I don't think it would be an issue to find 30 players in the NFL who could take the ball to the hoop, take 10 steps and knock out everyone who is in there way without a travel call and then whine about about every play, flop whenever they are touched and act like a complete arrogant, entitled baby on and off the court.  Totally unwatchable sport, would not be bragging about the players in that league when most of them are a complete embarrassment.

WTF is THAT about? LOL.

I would definitely pay to see Lebitch get drilled by a LB running full speed, he cant play the game he plays without crying about every single contact not initiated by him.....how would he ( and most the other players ) handle getting drilled on about every play?

This is has been a talker for decades, I dont remember who it was, but about 20 years ago an NBA guy was asked outright if he thought he could play in the NFL, he said very matter of factly NO, he couldnt have handled the physicality, and this was back when the NBA was actually still a little physical. ( It might have been Barkley, but I am not sure )

Not an NBA fan, but do love college bball. The flopping, begging for calls and the whining completely ruin the experience for me. And the fans heckling the players that are seated courtside is ridiculous.....players should be allowed to slap them in the mouth.

(05-13-2024, 07:23 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: WTF is THAT about? LOL.
Seriously, have you watched an NBA game?  If so, when is the last time you have seen traveling called and how many steps do you actually get, guys are starting from the top of the key without dribbling the ball again.  Also what is foul?  Basically from what I can tell, it is when team whines more than another and then they have to stop the game for 15 minutes to go to replay to make a call that has no merit.  No way you would find 30 NBA players who are tough enough to play in the NFL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JR44's post:

(05-13-2024, 09:16 AM)JR44 Wrote: Seriously, have you watched an NBA game?  If so, when is the last time you have seen traveling called and how many steps do you actually get, guys are starting from the top of the key without dribbling the ball again.  Also what is foul?  Basically from what I can tell, it is when team whines more than another and then they have to stop the game for 15 minutes to go to replay to make a call that has no merit.  No way you would find 30 NBA players who are tough enough to play in the NFL.

Can't disagree with a thing JR says here. NBA players are strong....zero doubt about that....its hard to get muscle size and definition on limbs that long. But tough? No fucking way. 

And the NBA game is a travesty to basketball purists. It's garbage. Its a sideshow circus. The athletes today playing on a 10 foot rim is beyond stupid....they can dunk on a 12 foot rim. And why bother dribbling when you can walk 5 steps and palm the basketball whenever you want? There used to be a rule when I played called 'palming'....you aren't supposed to be able to do it.......
[-] The following 2 users Like StickierBuns's post:

(05-13-2024, 09:16 AM)JR44 Wrote: Seriously, have you watched an NBA game?  If so, when is the last time you have seen traveling called and how many steps do you actually get, guys are starting from the top of the key without dribbling the ball again.  Also what is foul?  Basically from what I can tell, it is when team whines more than another and then they have to stop the game for 15 minutes to go to replay to make a call that has no merit.  No way you would find 30 NBA players who are tough enough to play in the NFL.

A lot of whining about whining. I'm not a huge NBA fan, but I do watch the playoffs. I just don't see what you see I guess. Do they whine? What athlete in what sport doesn't? Do you really want the refs to blow the whistle for every extra half step on the way to the basket? I don't think you would, any more than you'd want DPI called on every DB who grazes a receiver's jersey, or every pass rusher whose momentum carries him into the QB. If it's inconsequential, don't call it. Let em play. 

Sorry about your Wolves tho. Truly I am. 

[Image: yVZrYMkdgY5Pi.webp]