Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh boy for Kirko....
[Albert Breer] "A reason Kirk decided to leave Minnesota is because the Vikings were very up front with the 35-year-old about the possibility that, even in the case he stayed, they’d take a quarterback of the future high in the draft."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/05/06/odell-...-takeaways

I applaud the Vikes org for being straight & up-front with him. I am sure Penix drafted was a shocker. Drafting a QB that high means a lot.

Its kinda like you are on your honeymoon and find your partners ex lover is in the room next door.

POOF!!

Look, at some point fate comes into play...

Kirko was destined to make generational $ and was destined to look over his shoulder at a highly drafted rook gunning for his spot.

If he has a great 24 season? He'll be the starter in 25.

If not, the talk will be there early and often to play Penix. That was the crap he was trying to avoid here.

Good thing he has the strong mental aptitude to handle it all. If he wasn't in the NFC? I would wish him well.

Poor Kirk, can't stand to have somebody looking over his shoulder that the fans will be calling for if he has a bad couple of games. Oh well he got his guaranteed money so it's time for him to hold a different team hostage with his contract.

If that was the driving reason for him leaving Minnesota (I would imagine multiple years of multi-million guarantees might have influenced him as well...just sayin'), that explains why he was flummoxed by the decision to draft Penix to back him up. His judgement is proving to be a bit flawed as well. Why would we not want to plan for the future and draft someone to sit for at least one full season behind him? That's only smart by the organization, and he comes across as being selfish, rather than looking for the good of the team. And the more I hear the alternate view in ATL, (what if...his Achilles is NOT fully healed, what if...he gets injured again...what if...he stinks up the joint?). It was an expensive Plan B for ATL, and it does not put them in a place to win now, but after considering the issues (being caught with your pants down and no succession plan at the most important position in sports), I can definitely see why ATL wanted to have that position nailed down for the next 10 years.

Kirko...just when I was getting to like you, you disappointed me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post:

[Image: sticker_2122-512x512.png]
[-] The following 8 users Like pattersaur's post:

I remember Geoff saying that Kirk told the Vikings that if he was going to be a bridge QB in Minnesota, he was going to make them pay extra for it on an extension. I'm happy to be off the Kirk Cousins carousel for better or worse.

Also of note, it's conformed the Vikings are expected to receive a 3rd round comp pick next year for the loss of Cousins. We also were expected to receive an additional 3rd round comp pick for losing Hunter, but we lost it when we signed Griffin to his one year deal. That was not a very smart decision by the Vikings trading a 3rd round pick for one year of Shaq Griffin adding nickel and dime package depth.
[-] The following 2 users Like supafreak84's post:

Kirk continues to get bag after bag, he's now living where his wife and her family grew up and he's got two little boys who now get to see their grandparents/in-laws every day if they choose. He's winning in life. I don't blame him for one thing he's done.....but having said that, I don't think I'll be rooting for him either. Nor against him. He's a good dude and works very hard at his craft. He's just not my favorite team's QB any longer. Don't wish the guy any ill will. I'm focused on the 2024 Vikings.

But this Penix pick for sure is a bee in his bonnet. More like a seed of insecurity that he can't help but let bother him a bit.
[-] The following 4 users Like StickierBuns's post:

(05-06-2024, 12:44 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: I remember Geoff saying that Kirk told the Vikings that if he was going to be a bridge QB in Minnesota, he was going to make them pay extra for it on an extension. I'm happy to be off the Kirk Cousins carousel for better or worse.

Also of note, it's conformed the Vikings are expected to receive a 3rd round comp pick next year for the loss of Cousins. We also were expected to receive an additional 3rd round comp pick for losing Hunter, but we lost it when we signed Griffin to his one year deal. That was not a very smart decision by the Vikings trading a 3rd round pick for one year of Shaq Griffin adding nickel and dime package depth.

I strongly suspect Flores was behind the Griffith signing...Just a gut feel.

But yah, I would not have given-up a 3rd rd comp pick for him either.

i hope there is a day in the not too distant future where ATL rues the day they passed on Turner @8. Or at least kept Odunze from going to the Bears!
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(05-06-2024, 01:16 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: Kirk continues to get bag after bag, he's now living where his wife and her family grew up and he's got two little boys who now get to see their grandparents/in-laws every day if they choose. He's winning in life. I don't blame him for one thing he's done.....but having said that, I don't think I'll be rooting for him either. Nor against him. He's a good dude and works very hard at his craft. He's just not my favorite team's QB any longer. Don't wish the guy any ill will. I'm focused on the 2024 Vikings.

But this Penix pick for sure is a bee in his bonnet. More like a seed of insecurity that he can't help but let bother him a bit.

I think the potential is there for this to go very badly in Atlanta very quickly, and it's by their own doing. I don't think Raheem Morris is a very good coach anyways and Blank is a meddling owner who will probably push for Penix to start at the first sign of trouble. Like I said, I'm incredibly relieved it's not the Vikings trying to navigate those waters.

(05-06-2024, 01:19 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I strongly suspect Flores was behind the Griffith signing...Just a gut feel.

But yah, I would not have given-up a 3rd rd comp pick for him either.

i hope there is a day in the not too distant future where ATL rues the day they passed on Turner @8. Or at least kept Odunze from going to the Bears!

Well Kwesi needs to do a better job as GM and tell Flores to piss off because you aren't trading one year of journeyman Shaq Griffin for a 3rd round pick. Not a good decision
[-] The following 1 user Likes supafreak84's post:

I think the situation is understandable for everyone involved. I totally get that Cousins wants to go to the team that will keep him around until he retires in 4 years. No one wants to get on the journeyman carousel where you are changing teams, changing schemes, moving homes every year, especially when you have a family. When you are a top 10 qb in a league with 32 starting QBs there has been some assumption that the team isn’t going to be looking to actively replace you. I feel like I’ve been a little bit of an outlier in that I believe that almost every team should be looking for an upgrade, just because the gap between the perennially elite QBs and everyone else is so huge, and the perennially elite QBs are the only veteran QBs really worth their salary. Those expectations were probably unrealistic for Kirk as he is older, injured, and not in that elite category. His situation is probably about right given what it is.

That said, I think Kirk is probably the clear starter 2024 and 2025, and then 2026 could go either way depending on how Penix is doing. If Kirk looks like normal Kirk he should be able to stay on the field, unless Penix is amazing. I don’t really believe that he’ll be playing bad enough for long enough to really feel pressure from the fans to move on ... assuming his ankle isn’t affecting his play. It’ll probably be the same as it has been here the last couple, where one chunk of fans wants to replace him because the stats aren’t leading to wins, and the other chunk of fans says that football is a team game. He’ll have a slow start in the new scheme, then start crushing it in the middle of the season, and then fall off again at the end leading to a 7-10 to 10-7 record and probably a borderline playoff team.