Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
So....how's everyone feeling?
(05-01-2024, 04:41 PM)Havoc Wrote: One thing I’m bummed about is it looks like the Vikings were the only team who called for pick 10. I thought maybe the Raiders would have after Penix went, but apparently not. Maybe the Vikings thought Denver would try to get JJ, but I hope not. It was obvious a month ago which way Payton was going. .

We gave up those picks for no reason unfortunately, but at least they knew they could guarantee they got JJ. It still would have been nice to have kept #129 and #157.

I supported it at the time and I do today too. Too much at risk not to pull the trigger.

It was down to JJ vs Nix at that point. If they walk away without JJ, Penix or Maye? I think the draft would have been deemed a failure. 

I know you were a big Nix fan, but I dont think the Vikings were as high on him.

(05-01-2024, 06:57 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I supported it at the time and I do today too. Too much at risk not to pull the trigger.

It was down to JJ vs Nix at that point. If they walk away without JJ, Penix or Maye? I think the draft would have been deemed a failure. 

I know you were a big Nix fan, but I dont think the Vikings were as high on him.

It’s hard to know with the Vikings. They spent a ton of time with Nix on the sly, but that doesn’t mean there was agreement in the front office. It just means one of the decision makers liked him. If I were to guess, what was working against him most was age. I think they would have been fine with Nix in a consolation prize sort of way, but I can see them preferring a younger player. It’s not dissimilar from my take on it. I had JJM and Nix neck and neck with youth definitely weighing in. Of course, I had both guys over Drake Maye and if I’d have been able to move up to 3, JJ would have likely been my selection. Personally, I wouldn’t have moved up though. I cherished that pic at 23 because I knew 6 QB’s and probably at least 3 WR’s and a couple of tackles where going in the first 15. 

Nix is an interesting reflection on the NFL and how they view players. I haven’t heard a team necessarily say they were down on him, but pundits definitely were to the point of making stuff up. Sean Payton LOVES him, almost in a creepy way. Like, he fully believes he is going to win a Super Bowl with him. Not even I can match that lol! He was 3rd on their board after Williams and Daniels. The day after Nix pro day they were set on him. Apparently they gave him several days worth of install to look at overnight and the next day he had it down in its entirety. Like the Vikings, they liked other guys too, he was just Payton’s favorite and Payton tends to get what he wants.

He wasn’t the only one who had him high, but definitely the most determined. They looked at moving up to between 5 and 8 to take him prior to the draft. Once they knew which way the Vikings (which to their understanding was JJ McCarthy all the way) were going and that the Raiders were probably settled on Penix (who I guess they weren’t that sold on and he could have really fallen). They planned to trade down for Nix, but once Penix went they knew the Raiders would take him.

Another team I was surprised to hear had Nix at the top were the Rams. They’d have taken him if he got to them. Sean McVay likes him a lot. 

As for Penix - he’s suddenly being talked about as higher on boards than most believed - that’s nonsense. That’s spin by the Falcons. They’re pumping stuff out right and left like he was seriously sought after. He wasn’t. That’s why the letter. Just like when the tampering stuff came up, suddenly media were reporting they did nothing wrong - it’s all spin. They’re just using the media to take some pressure off for making the pick. You literally can’t believe a thing about Penitwitter.coming out right now. 

Lastly, I’ve been really curious about the Drake Maye reports with the Vikings. It’s heavily assumed they wanted him bad. Apparently to the point that they also wanted everyone to know it for weeks in advance. Why then, did they not make an offer to the Patriots when the pick came up? They offered 11, 23 and next years 1st, for their 3 and two mid round picks - BEFORE the draft. The Giants made an offer as well before the draft. When the Patriots came up on the clock, from what I can find, they fielded no calls. Perhaps both teams just gave up - at the best time to call. Or maybe the guy they wanted to try and get was gone. 

I’m still of the opinion the Vikings number 1 target was Jayden Daniels. They were trying to get that 3rd and package it with mid rounders to move up the one slot - what the Commanders said it would take to give him up and for them to take Maye. Ultimately the Commanders took Daniels and the Vikings didn’t make the monster can’t say no offer for Drake. Apparently they didn’t even call.

Absolutely LOVE how we got McCarthy and Turner.  That crap about how we supposedly overpaid by an entire 1st rounder is total BS (More on that at a later date).

As for day 3... my favorite pick is the kicker  Tongue  At 108, DT Dorlus (#64 on Jeremiah's board) was sitting there for us and they pass on him for a 25-yo CB  Cry   Dorlus went to the Falcons with the next pick  Dodgy

Then at 177, there's still like 3 DT's rated a round higher available, and they go OT   Maybe Rouse won't totally suck, but waiting until pick 232 to get a DT when we're so thin and mediocre there didn't make sense. Huh
[-] The following 2 users Like RS_Express's post:

I'm reading over the last 2 days all this junk about JJM starting, either immediately or after a few weeks: just don't see it. I think the media mob talks themselves into things sometimes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(05-01-2024, 04:41 PM)Havoc Wrote: One thing I’m bummed about is it looks like the Vikings were the only team who called for pick 10. I thought maybe the Raiders would have after Penix went, but apparently not. Maybe the Vikings thought Denver would try to get JJ, but I hope not. It was obvious a month ago which way Payton was going. .

We gave up those picks for no reason unfortunately, but at least they knew they could guarantee they got JJ. It still would have been nice to have kept #129 and #157.

What's the source on the Vikes being the only ones in on 10? I kind of have ny doubts nobody else was sniffing around when only 2 QBs were left, all the defense, and the big TE all still sitt8ng there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

(05-02-2024, 06:03 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: What's the source on the Vikes being the only ones in on 10?  I kind of have ny doubts nobody else was sniffing around when only 2 QBs were left,  all the defense, and the big TE all still sitt8ng there.

Doesn't pass the smell test for me either. And even if that was the case, moving up one spot to get JJ rather than moving up to 5 is still a win in my book based on how things could have gone. Sure I'd love those extra darts but the main thing is the Vikings got their QB. The risk/reward at that point made it a no-brainer. When I saw we were on the clock at 10, I can't be the only one who let out a giant sigh of relief.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pattersaur's post:

(05-02-2024, 06:03 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: What's the source on the Vikes being the only ones in on 10?  I kind of have ny doubts nobody else was sniffing around when only 2 QBs were left,  all the defense, and the big TE all still sitt8ng there.

It’s on video of the Jets draft room. They refer to it as, “free money”. There are no signs to suggest they’ve talked to anyone else.

There’s a report out today that the Falcons were going to offer their 1st next year for number 10, or at least discussed it in their draft room. Based on video of the Jets discussing the Vikings trade, such an offer is never mentioned, which leads me to believe they decided not to offer. I believe essentially nothing right now when it comes to the Falcons, but apparently they at least discussed it on the video.

https://twitter.com/AriMeirov/status/178...7273134550¤tTweetUser=AriMeirov

I’m not sure if this works, but if you search that Ari Meirov it has the video.

Another way to look at it;
If the Falcons don't take Penix we would have a choice at 11 and would not need to trade with the Jets. However, If the Falcons don't take Penix then they probably take Turner. And so we probably don't trade up to 17 but take a player at 23.

Vikings didn't know that. Could've been the Broncos on the line. Or the Raiders, or the Rams. At pick 8, JJ and Penix were still on the board. They preferred JJ but if someone jumped up for him, they would still get Penix at 11. So when the Falcons shocked the world by taking Penix at 8, the Vikings panicked. And rightfully so! I was begging for them to trade into 9 or 10 to secure the QBOTF. This draft pick will define the next 10 to 15 years. One of the most important decisions in the history of the franchise. You don't take chances with that.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

Yah, when Penix went @ 8, I went and took a tums.

Two more picks to go after that is an eternity, anything could have happened. ..

It was time to move-up and fast. Especially with JJ still available.

I am still relieved today we got a "top 4 guy." No guarantees of course, but we're in the game.