Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
So....how's everyone feeling?
The Draft is over, seemed it took forever to finally get here. Lots of anticipation because of the QB spot. A few thoughts:
  • IMO, got a very good one in JJ McCarthy. Wasn't KOC's first choice, obviously, but he was up there as a plus Plan B option. 
  • Dallas Turner is going to be a machine on this Flores defense. 
  • Still concerned about the interior D Line and interior O line. 
  • Hopeful a gem or two can be pulled from the UDFA pile class of 2024.
  • Like the Reichard pick for kicker. Gets the ball up faster than most kickers, hence never had a PA or FG blocked in his career.
  • Lets get Justin Jefferson signed already.

Overall, feeling pretty good when its all said and done. Nothing is ever perfect, but I think some cornerstones have been placed. What I can't shake is the feeling the rest of the NFCN is getting legitimately better. And we really won't know what kind of player JJM is going to be for a few years yet. Need to hit on him.
[-] The following 3 users Like StickierBuns's post:

I think I don't know what to think right now. Really wished we had focused this offseason on the IOL and IDL, as well as QB. Then went looking for other pieces next yea, I think JJMs success is going to be hinged on fixing our OL woes and until our D gets to where it controls the LOS we won't be a legit playoff contender so we will be just going through the motions.

I am excited to see what our D will do with the new additions and another year of Flores, but without addressing the holes I mentioned before I go back to my previous thoughts of 24 being a throw away season. We will win some we shouldn't, lose some we shouldn't, and in the end be a low to mid pack team at best.

But dammit if we didn't get a good kicker...so we got that going for us!
[-] The following 4 users Like JimmyinSD's post:

Agree with pretty much all of it, Sticky.

From what I've gathered, JJM wasn't our "top choice" but he was our top choice of the QBs we could realistically get. I DO believe that JJM was one of our "loves" and the draft fell perfectly for us where we only had to make a minor trade up to get him. On that note too, just because he was the 5th QB taken doesn't impact the type of player he can be. I love the kid and think he can be a Burrow-type QB for us.

I'm a huge fan of our first two picks, think we got two cornerstone, impact players. The rest of the draft was hard to get excited about, but we had a 4th and a couple 6ths and 7ths.
We can't expect Day 1 starters there, but I was hoping we'd grab Dorlus or Wingo at DT, and look at some IOL and Brendan Rice who inexplicably dropped.

I'm feeling good about the direction of the team and excited to see how JJM develops. Now we gotta get Jefferson done and this offseason will be a smashing success in my mind.
[-] The following 3 users Like MAD GAINZ's post:

I like the direction of the team. I think JJ is a great fit here and a genuine QBOF candidate, I feel better about him than any QB's Speilman picked. I really like that we got Dallas Turner by keeping that second pick.

The division is tough, but I think the Wilfs idea of a competitive rebuild is in tact. With Kirk's baggage gone from the salary cap next year, look for some strong free agency pickups next year.
[-] The following 2 users Like JoDakota's post:

I'm always an optimismt after the draft. But this year, it's extra special. I do think that JJM was their top choice. I don't buy into us making a huge offer to NE. Dallas Turner would have gone way earlier in a normal draft. This season will be tough if Darnold plays the entire season. I sure hope he does play all year. I'd love to see this QB developed properly.
[-] The following 2 users Like wiviking's post:

There are too many holes on this roster to fill with a single draft especially after the trade ups left us with only one pick between the first & sixth rounds. I agree with the concerns about not addressing IOL & IDL with quality picks. Also would've liked them to add a RB & WR. This was a deep WR draft. Upgrades could've been found in Rounds 6 or 7. Now we have to rely on Powell, Sherfield or hope that Nailor can finally stay healthy.

Fast Kene has shown nothing to date as a RB. I'm unsure that the revised KO return rules will be enough to ensure him a roster spot. McBride looked slow in camp last year & spent the season on the PS. Not one regular season snap.

I'm disappointed that they didn't sign an UDFA punter as Ryan Wright regressed last year & competition should be brought in.

We will rank high in the waiver claim order which can be helpful after training camp cuts.
[-] The following 2 users Like Knucklehead's post:

As for this year's draft, I'm alright with it despite not really improving the offensive guard or defensive tackle positions. But in reality, this is a two-year project as I see it. So as far as this year first goes, it's a good step in the right direction.
[-] The following 2 users Like ArizonaViking's post:

It's all--like 99%--about JJ and Turner. Three years from now, if JJ is our franchise QB and Turner is Micah Parsons, nobody's going to give a shit that we gave up a handful of middle round picks to get them. 

Day three was just a typical day three.  Depth and special teams. I like the corner. We now have more corners than a polyhedron. We needed a kicker, got a kicker. Needed a swing tackle, got one of those. Love the Gabe Murphy UDFA pickup. He was a 4th rounder on most boards and the highest rated player on the consensus board after the draft. Same deal as Pace. He was removed from a lot of boards due to size. I wouldn't bet against him.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

I agree with Mad Gainz that JJ may not have been our first choice. I think it was Maye. After the Giants took "Nabah's" (it's Nabers) and the Falcons took Penix, the Broncos and Raiders were doing everything possible to jump us for JJ.

I see nothing here to disagree with. I think back to when Kirko bolted within hours of FA to ATL and then Hunter was signed by Houston...it seemed kinda bleak. I don't feel that way anymore. Yeah, I wish we had picked up an OG or IDL, but I think we're pretty solid up and down otherwise (knock on wood the injury bug roosts elsewhere in the NFCN).
I feel good about how Kwesi picked this year. 1,000% better than his first draft here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post: