Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think KAM has learned a lesson?
Sounds like KAM worked every angle last night to get the best talent available. In addition to investigating the other trade up scenarios for Maye, it looks like they were in contact with San Diego regarding a trade for Herbert. With Penix still on the board, my guess is they would have just stand pat and wait for their pick. I give the guy credit for trying out every scenario and ending up with two blue chip prospects. Comp picks and FA next year will have to replenish the cupboard of lost draft picks. The good news is we'll have Cap to do it..and for the next five years with a QB playing on a rookie deal.

I'd say that KAM swung for the fences, and got two solid hits. The lack of mid-round picks may be dealt with a bit with comp and "punishment" capital forthcoming, we'll find out. That said, I'm gonna be very curious to see if JJM's reported "single velocity throws" are improved with coaching, or if we end up with a Rivers/Brees situation and end up with Darnold and JJM both being valuable in a couple of years.

Dallas will make the Hunter departure sting less, especially as we have some time before any potential "annual contract issues".
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zanary's post:

(04-26-2024, 08:46 AM)badgervike Wrote: Sounds like KAM worked every angle last night to get the best talent available.  In addition to investigating the other trade up scenarios for Maye, it looks like they were in contact with San Diego regarding a trade for Herbert.  With Penix still on the board, my guess is they would have just stand pat and wait for their pick.  I give the guy credit for trying out every scenario and ending up with two blue chip prospects.  Comp picks and FA next year will have to replenish the cupboard of lost draft picks.  The good news is we'll have Cap to do it..and for the next five years with a QB playing on a rookie deal.

We might be light on mid round draft picks next year, but we still have our first round pick.  We could easily select an impact guy there or trade back to pick later in the first or second round and restock those mid round picks we lost.  Fact is, we have options.

And mid round picks are nice in theory, but go back and look at how many of our 3-5th round picks turned into an actual player and how many never ended up being anything but a special teams player.  We have a ton of cap room to get 2 impact FAs and supplement our depth.  At least in FA you have about as good a chance at finding a player that fits your scheme as you would in the draft.  Maybe better since they have actually played some snaps in the NFL.

We'll be in a great spot if JJM and Turner pan out to be the impact players they are projected to be.
[-] The following 2 users Like MAD GAINZ's post:

When the Vikes went on the clock at 17, I immediately thought CB. Boy, have I been conditioned...

Saw most of Turner's games at Alabama. Love that pick.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rigby's post:

I'll give KAM credit for is his self-awareness. He operates very differently now and has adapted based on what has or hasn't worked in the past 2-3 years. If they somehow nailed this with a QB on a rookie deal, 2 high-end receivers and OTs, and now a decent pass rush.. that $100M and 1st round pick next year are going to have the Vikings moving.
[-] The following 2 users Like NFL Draft Guru's post:

I think in hindsight that we can clearly see what the plan was. Trade up for Maye if you can. Neither JJM or Penix was preferred enough to trade up for, but Nix was a tier below, so as long as JJM and Penix were on the board, just hold fast. Atlanta was probably a surprise for everyone, and in hindsight there was probably a chance that Chicago could have traded down with anyone but us to force us into Nix.

Dallas Turner was the top edge on a lot of boards. There was no predictable reason he was available to us where we got him. A moderate tradeup to get a top 10 player that is also a great scheme fit makes a ton of sense. I think it was a little aggressive with Verse and Chops Robinson still on the board, but we would have had to tradeup to get either of them as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes medaille's post:

(04-26-2024, 08:23 AM)supafreak84 Wrote: I've blasted him as much as anybody and I was deathly afraid of him gambling the farm to take a swing at a QB, but he did a great job last night holding tight and still getting a quarterback prospect that fit and has high upside.

I thought Dalls Turner was the top defender in this draft and was shocked he dropped as far as he did. I was even more shocked after we had given away a lot of draft capital already that he still had the balls to move up and take Turner. We now have two very young dogs on each side of the ball to lead us into the future. Like I said, the night couldn't have gone any better IMO.

Where is the Supafreak we know and... love(?) and what have you done with him?

Supa praising Kwesi, I gotta go buy a lottery ticket cuz the world's gone nuts. Wink
[-] The following 4 users Like comet52's post:

I think they did everything they could. Quality over quantity. Also the 150 million in cap space could be more when Darrisaw and Jefferson are extended. Well done

(04-26-2024, 09:44 AM)comet52 Wrote: Where is the Supafreak we know and... love(?) and what have you done with him?

Supa praising Kwesi, I gotta go buy a lottery ticket cuz the world's gone nuts. Wink

Lol well I have give credit when I think it's deserving and I thought he did excellent last night. By far his best job thusfar. There's nothing I would have done differently and to come away woth a high end QB prospect giving up minimal compensation to do it AND the guy I think was the best defensive player in the draft....home run, and I don't care what happens the rest of the draft
[-] The following 3 users Like supafreak84's post:

(04-26-2024, 09:15 AM)Rigby Wrote: When the Vikes went on the clock at 17, I immediately thought CB. Boy, have I been conditioned...

Saw most of Turner's games at Alabama. Love that pick.

I did too and honestly, once we got McCarthy, I was ok with spending the next pick on a corner. However, I am much happier with the Turner pick. It's been a long time since we spent a 1st rounder on a pass rusher and Turner is one of the top defenders in the draft and a great fit for Flores's scheme.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyr's post: