Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So this is believable? Vikings trying to move up to #3?
This is their plan? Their #1 gameplan is to negotiate with a team that needs a QB as well and get them to trade with you? It seems too unreliable and unpredictable as a main option. What don't we know? Or is this complete bullshit as a rumor? Or is the plan to just bend over, give them top-shelf comp and not look back?

I'm trying to put logic to this and it doesn't make any sense....unless there's something we don't know, which is entirely possible.
Or its one hell of a risky go-forward strategy. 2 days and we'll know. Looking for the logic. I think Minnesota will dip into their Plan Bs and Cs for this Draft. Give me Michael Penix Jr. at #11. I still don't get why the Patriots would move off of 3 needing a QB.

[Image: 98d845c2e94e352cf2a2cd0d7b238f96.gif]

I'm not sure why this surprises you. Of course they're trying to get to three. They've been trying since the combine. May or may not happen, but that gives them their choice of Maye and McCarthy. I also think the Vikings are willing to overpay for that.

We’re going to bend over on either #3 or #5 but I suspect we’re trading up regardless of the spot.

(04-23-2024, 07:00 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I'm not sure why this surprises you. Of course they're trying to get to three. They've been trying since the combine. May or may not happen, but that gives them their choice of Maye and McCarthy. I also think the Vikings are willing to overpay for that.

Why it surprises me is I'm hoping there's something I don't know.....because this is doing things the hard and expensive way. And they didn't know that NE is only going to budge in a way that even they (Minnesota) won't do? How can something with such low odds (moving to #3 with the situation that NE needs a QB) be their top plan? Again, maybe something is already been agreed to, I don't know. Or they really like a guy like Penix as their 1A move.

(04-23-2024, 07:07 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Why it surprises me is I'm hoping there's something I don't know.....because this is doing things the hard and expensive way. And they didn't know that NE is only going to budge in a way that even they (Minnesota) won't do? How can something with such low odds (moving to #3 with the situation that NE needs a QB) be their top plan? Again, maybe something is already been agreed to, I don't know. Or they really like a guy like Penix as their 1A move.

Maybe they know the Giants already have a deal in place with Arizona at 4 to take JJM, so #3 is their only option left. Just guessing. But it seems clear to me that either Maye or McCarthy is their target. Penix could come into play at 11, but that seems like a clear "settling" and not getting the guy you really want. 

Yes, New England needs a QB, but they need a dozen other positions too. They could take the Vikings deal (or a 3-way with the Vikings and another team). Vikings get their guy Maye. Pats get McCarthy and some picks to build with.

(04-23-2024, 07:32 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Maybe they know the Giants already have a deal in place with Arizona at 4 to take JJM, so #3 is their only option left. Just guessing. But it seems clear to me that either Maye or McCarthy is their target. Penix could come into play at 11, but that seems like a clear "settling" and not getting the guy you really want. 

Yes, New England needs a QB, but they need a dozen other positions too. They could take the Vikings deal (or a 3-way with the Vikings and another team). Vikings get their guy Maye. Pats get McCarthy and some picks to build with.

You could be right. My top desire is for KOC to get who he really wants, even if that means I'm uncomfortable with the comp. I don't think the team will be able to accomplish that because IMO New England really doesn't want to move down.

An AFC team needing a QB might be willing to trade down cuz,
The AFC is loaded with very good to great QBs.
Winning games in the AFC playoffs is tough.
If winning a SB is the goal probably better to build an all around team and add the QB in about 5 yrs.
Odds are better finding really good players with more picks.
We all have heard about the 5 yr plan, there it is.

(04-23-2024, 07:07 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Why it surprises me is I'm hoping there's something I don't know.....because this is doing things the hard and expensive way. And they didn't know that NE is only going to budge in a way that even they (Minnesota) won't do? How can something with such low odds (moving to #3 with the situation that NE needs a QB) be their top plan? Again, maybe something is already been agreed to, I don't know. Or they really like a guy like Penix as their 1A move.

We don't know how New England has their QBs stacked.  We all think Caleb, Daniels, and Maye are the top 3, but maybe New England has them Caleb and Daniels in their top tier and Maye, McCarthy, and Penix in the next tier?  If it goes Caleb #1 and Daniels #2, maybe the Patriots aren't as enamored with Maye at 3 and are fine trying to get McCarthy and Penix at 11 or in a minor trade up after they get a bounty of picks?
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAD GAINZ's post:

(04-23-2024, 07:36 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: You could be right. My top desire is for KOC to get who he really wants, even if that means I'm uncomfortable with the comp. I don't think the team will be able to accomplish that because IMO New England really doesn't want to move down.

I'm starting to wonder if Maye is really their target. Sure, they hired his high school coach. Every pundit in the world seems to think he's the guy we're after, KOC sending flowers to Kraft, presumably to grease a trade up for Maye. Makes sense. He's a good fit. 

But it all seems a little too obvious. I wonder if the Vikings are really after McCarthy and they're worried that a team like the Giants could trade up to 3 and take him. Pats might prefer a small move down to a big one. 

I think if there's a big surprise on Thursday it could be that McCarthy goes ahead of Maye.

The cost to get up to #3 would be astronomical considering New England also badly needs a quarterback.

I'm at the point where you just don't negotiate on a trade up and you call their bluffs and make these teams make a pick. I'm not dealing with Arizona, Los Angeles, or the Giants. The Cardinals and Chargers aren't taking quarterbacks and the chances of the Chargers moving back with either Vegas or Denver to allow then to move up for a quarterback is slim to none. Make them make their picks. Same with the Giants, who badly need a playmaker on offense and drafting a quarterback now would be an admission of guilt that they screwed up giving Jones that big extension. I just don't see that happening when they need to push for the playoffs this season. The Giants are going to sit tight and take the best receiver left on the board. The Titans should be the starting point in any negotiation to trade up for a quarterback and that would be a cost manageable trade up. I think that's the sweet spot. We could probably realistically swap #11 and #23 for their pick at #7 and their second round pick #38. Sign me up for that
[-] The following 1 user Likes supafreak84's post: