Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Oh boy, here we go: Vikings trying to move up before Thursday
Nothing prevents us from moving up to 5 to be in prime position to deal to four as necessary. The move from 5-4 makes a trade with Arizona much simpler if they do indeed want MJH. It puts us in an advantaged position to the Giants.
[-] The following 2 users Like Waterboy's post:

I kind of read this as the Cardinals/Chargers trying to drum up interest because... MN could be getting close, get your offers in!
[-] The following 4 users Like NFL Draft Guru's post:

That would be incredibly stupid.  Moving up before they know the guy they want will be there   Huh

(04-18-2024, 02:50 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: Thx a lot, 

Here I thought Chargers @ 5 would be the "do-able" make it so move. 

This implies get to top 3 or forget about a top 4 qb. Hope this isnt right, but it makes sense.

I think it all depends on how big they feel the gaps are, there are clearly 3 tiers - the top 3, JJM, Nix/Penix - my feeling is that they are doing all they can to get into the top 3 as they feel the gap between QB3 and QB4 is significant, so if they miss there, how far of a drop do they see JJM and Nix/Penix and is that gap worth a 1st rounder? I think there has been too much smoke around the Vikes/NE for there not to be a lot of truth there and think there is a good chance of that happening, if not, I have a feeling they will stay at 11 as my guess is they feel the gap between JJM and the next 2 is not worth a 1st.
[-] The following 2 users Like JR44's post:

(04-19-2024, 07:44 AM)JR44 Wrote: I think it all depends on how big they feel the gaps are, there are clearly 3 tiers - the top 3, JJM, Nix/Penix - my feeling is that they are doing all they can to get into the top 3 as they feel the gap between QB3 and QB4 is significant, so if they miss there, how far of a drop do they see JJM and Nix/Penix and is that gap worth a 1st rounder?  I think there has been too much smoke around the Vikes/NE for there not to be a lot of truth there and think there is a good chance of that happening, if not, I have a feeling they will stay at 11 as my guess is they feel the gap between JJM and the next 2 is not worth a 1st.

The more I hear and read by people I trust, the more I think this tendency to put Nix and Penix together as if they're Pete and Repeat is wrong. I think Penix is a middle 1st guy and would be even higher if not for his age and injury history. I don't think the NFL sees Nix quite on that level.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

(04-19-2024, 08:32 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: The more I hear and read by people I trust, the more I think this tendency to put Nix and Penix together as if they're Pete and Repeat is wrong. I think Penix is a middle 1st guy and would be even higher if not for his age and injury history. I don't think the NFL sees Nix quite on that level.

For what it's worth, Ben Leber said on KFAN the other day that he still has Penix as his #2 QB. Assuming you get a green light on the medicals.

The Purple Persuasion@TPPSkol

Per @art_stapleton
He's heard "rumblings that the #Vikings likely have parameters of a deal in place if their QB is on the clock, whether that's at 3, 4, or 5." He also imagines that the #Giants are keeping a close eye on the price should they decide to move up.

I think trading above the Giants gives you a clear advantage over the Giants in moving up further if you want.  If one of the top 3 teams doesn’t have a clear favorite, but we do, it just allows them to fall back a pick or two, probably gain our 2025 first, and still get the guy they want.  If we’re at 4 you’ve locked in a top 4 QB for yourself and any of the top QB needy teams.  If we’re at 5, there’s a risk you’ve spent a ton of draft capital and not getting your guy, but you could also guarantee AZ that they would get the top WR whoever that is for them.  I think you have to ask the question, that we trade 11 and 23 for 5, do we have enough draft capital to outcompete the Giants for 4 or above and do the Cardinals have a strong preference for MHJr or Nabers?

That said, I think the optics of making a pre-draft trade up to 5 and then having some other team trade up to 4 and get your QB is so bad that it would pretty much be a death knell for KAMs career.

Realistically, I think a trade to 4 makes sense.  A trade to 5 I can’t imagine doing until draft day, unless you have an explicit deal on the table between all 3 teams that would get us to where we want to be or you are 100% confident that AZ won’t trade out of 4.  I don’t think 95% confidence cuts it here.

(04-19-2024, 09:38 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: The Purple Persuasion@TPPSkol

Per @art_stapleton
He's heard "rumblings that the #Vikings likely have parameters of a deal in place if their QB is on the clock, whether that's at 3, 4, or 5." He also imagines that the #Giants are keeping a close eye on the price should they decide to move up.

So how could the Vikings QB choice not 'be on the clock' at #3? That's a head scratcher. Deals in place with all 3 teams? Smells like bullshit to me.

I just will have to see it to believe it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(04-19-2024, 08:32 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: The more I hear and read by people I trust, the more I think this tendency to put Nix and Penix together as if they're Pete and Repeat is wrong. I think Penix is a middle 1st guy and would be even higher if not for his age and injury history. I don't think the NFL sees Nix quite on that level.

What I dont get about Penix is the knock on his age at 24. If we drafted a QB that was our starter for the next 10 years, that would be the longest tenured starter we have ever had. Assuming he starts next year at 25, those extra two or three years mean nothing. The way his age is thrown around, you'd think he went to school with Tommy Callahan.
[-] The following 4 users Like wiviking's post: