Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I realize it’s early, but I think the Nuclear option is very possible
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
I'm not as doomsday as OP but there's a very real possibility at this point that we fricked this whole thing up.
I was all for trading for Dobbs at the time, especially while he was winning games, but as more info has come to light and it seems more and more clear that the team planned to move off of Kirk all along, I have to really question the wisdom in trying to win more games once Kirk and JJ were both out. The goal of winning games was diametrically opposed to the ultimate goal of drafting a rookie QB.
The history books aren't going to see that as a Herschel Walker type blunder, but it may very well cost us just as much if we miss out on all these QBs and go yet another year in limbo.
I've been saying all offseason: pay what it takes to move to 3 or 4. I don't care about the price. Sadly, there's a real possibility that no matter what we offer, "our money's no good here". If that's the case it's a real shame. Hoping for the best but officially nervous.
He's had several successes, but I think in retrospect Kwesi's biggest mistake could be that he let Cousins go before drafting our QBOTF, specifically not signing Cousins long term after the '22 season.

The Vikings would still be trying hard to move into the top 5 for a QB, but with Cousins under contract, there would not be such a sense of desperation about it. The kind of desperation for a QB that leads to Hershel Walker type trades. All of it unfortunately tied to negotiations with Justin Jefferson, who just wants to see a plan for the future at QB. If you signed Jefferson early in '23 like you should have, that's no longer an issue. Nor are you dealing with contracts that are 12% higher due to the cap increase.

And what about Christian Wilkins?  He clearly wanted to come play for Flores, but the Raiders upped their offer and Kwesi didn't match. Dude, the cap is made of elastic, not concrete. 

I like that Kwesi is budget conscious, but you have to play the game. I worry that he's stepping over dimes to pick up pennies. 

Not signing KC 2 seasons ago was a big miss. The football gods smite the Vikings in 23 with a perfect situation in ATL.

Top 10 teams know how desperate the Vikings are (Denver too) and its not an advantageous situation by any means for MN. 

I got me some concerns looking ahead:

1). They draft the wrong guy
2). They are not able to find a willing trade partner
 - Ruderless for 2 + seasons
 - Stuck in 7 win territory
 - Unhappy JJ
 - Ferrari surround ages more years

Other than that? They dont concern me at all...

All legit concerns that could've been avoided. Draft the right QB and it all goes away. But they've left themselves zero margin for error. 
Razor thin and high stakes poker for sure...

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
I'm not as doomsday as OP but there's a very real possibility at this point that we fricked this whole thing up.
I was all for trading for Dobbs at the time, especially while he was winning games, but as more info has come to light and it seems more and more clear that the team planned to move off of Kirk all along, I have to really question the wisdom in trying to win more games once Kirk and JJ were both out. The goal of winning games was diametrically opposed to the ultimate goal of drafting a rookie QB.
The history books aren't going to see that as a Herschel Walker type blunder, but it may very well cost us just as much if we miss out on all these QBs and go yet another year in limbo.
I've been saying all offseason: pay what it takes to move to 3 or 4. I don't care about the price. Sadly, there's a real possibility that no matter what we offer, "our money's no good here". If that's the case it's a real shame. Hoping for the best but officially nervous.
He's had several successes, but I think in retrospect Kwesi's biggest mistake could be that he let Cousins go before drafting our QBOTF, specifically not signing Cousins long term after the '22 season.

The Vikings would still be trying hard to move into the top 5 for a QB, but with Cousins under contract, there would not be such a sense of desperation about it. The kind of desperation for a QB that leads to Hershel Walker type trades. All of it unfortunately tied to negotiations with Justin Jefferson, who just wants to see a plan for the future at QB. If you signed Jefferson early in '23 like you should have, that's no longer an issue. Nor are you dealing with contracts that are 12% higher due to the cap increase.

And what about Christian Wilkins?  He clearly wanted to come play for Flores, but the Raiders upped their offer and Kwesi didn't match. Dude, the cap is made of elastic, not concrete. 

I like that Kwesi is budget conscious, but you have to play the game. I worry that he's stepping over dimes to pick up pennies. 
I question if they would have still made any strong moves for a QB,  just doesnt seem the Viking way of handling the position.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:

I question if they would have still made any strong moves for a QB,  just doesnt seem the Viking way of handling the position.
Not sure "the Viking way" should be considered. KAM & KOC are only in their third year and have already bucked Viking tradition more than once, multiple in division trades as an example, also massive roster changes. I really believe they move up to their QBOTF.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:

Not sure "the Viking way" should be considered. KAM & KOC are only in their third year and have already bucked Viking tradition more than once, multiple in division trades as an example, also massive roster changes. I really believe they move up to their QBOTF.
they likely will,  but if they had resigned Cousins to a multi year deal prior to last season ) as was suggested above),  I dont think they would be as bold as packaging multiple picks to go up and draft his replacement,  I think we would still be talking about our window with Kirk and adding contributing pieces before that "window closes".

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@1VikesFan said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:

they likely will,  but if they had resigned Cousins to a multi year deal prior to last season ) as was suggested above),  I dont think they would be as bold as packaging multiple picks to go up and draft his replacement,  I think we would still be talking about our window with Kirk and adding contributing pieces before that "window closes".
Totally agree but they didn't resign him so ultimately I believe they have to make a bold move. Hopefully it works out. Drafting QB's high is such a hit and miss.

(02-11-2024, 04:49 AM)CFIAvike Wrote: Call it a vibe, but i just don’t feel like anything is gonna go how the Vikings want this offseason. 

I think JJ becomes malcontent after a long bad negotiation because the Vikings won’t “break the bank” for him and he’ll force his way out of town

I think because the Jefferson negotiation drags out, they’re forced to make a decision on Kirk before March and decide to let let him go for fiscal reasons. I think, ironically, this will in small part work towards Jefferson not resigning. 

I think there will be a huge bidding war over Hunter and we don’t get him 

I think the price will be too high to trade into the top 3 for a real QBOTF. This will look like a massive failure to the fan base.  I also think that’s the backbreaker in the Jefferson negotiations

I think Kwesi correctly isn’t going to see value at 11 for one of the second tier QBs. Which means we’ll probably take a corner from Clemson or try to get cute and trade down again. 

I think they completely shit the bed in the QB department this year. JJM is likely the best of the rest and I don’t think he’ll last to our second round pick. I have zero faith in Nix or Penix, so we probably end up with one of them. 

We’ll end up signing Ryan Tannehill, and he’ll be exactly what he’s always been…below average at everything. He’ll get booed out off the stadium by week 6 and the team will buckle to the overwhelming pressure to start the rookie…. and they’ll suck too. 

I need a whiskey

(04-02-2024, 02:16 PM)CFIAvike Wrote: Kirk gone…check
Hunter Gone….check
Swap Tannehill for Darnold…check 
JJ still unsigned ….check
Kwesi shitting the bed at QB….pending

right on pace here boys & girls
Less than 24 hours to go and I’m praying the last part of the prophesy goes unfilled.

(04-24-2024, 10:10 PM)CFIAvike Wrote: Less than 24 hours to go and I’m praying the last part of the prophesy goes unfilled.

Hey don’t give up, Tannehill is still an option…!   Cool Tongue

(04-24-2024, 10:23 PM)Kentis Wrote: Hey don’t give up, Tannehill is still an option…!   Cool Tongue

Jesus…you’re right…lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes CFIAvike's post:

We can always trade our 11 to the Lions for 29 and a 5th which is 164.

(04-24-2024, 10:45 PM)FLVike Wrote: We can always trade our 11 to the Lions for 29 and a 5th which is 164.

So you pop into every thread to layer a bad Detroit trade joke? KAM really hurt you, huh? Here, take a seat:

[Image: 200-21.gif]