Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if: Penix at #11, Powers-Johnson at #23?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@CFIAvike said:
@Zanary said:
Anyone that's followed Penix knows that he's a baller, but he's also already injury prone before he's so much as taken a walk-thru snap at the NFL level...so yeah, that worries me a ton. I wouldn't want to burn a first-round pick on someone that's already an injury liability, especially as we can't seem to put a consistent IOL together...for, y'know, the last decade or more.

As I've said on other threads, I'd spend every game terrified any time a defender hit him in the legs...just like I was when Teddy returned from injury. It's hard for me to be enthusiastic; I actually like Darnold's chances at resurgence more than I like Penix's potential endurance.
I agree 100%. I think Darnold has a less than 10% chance of even looking like an average back up level QB…. And that’s STILL a better chance than I give Penix of EVER playing 17 games in a season. 
That's a little hot takey. Penix has a serious injury history, and that should be reflected in where he's drafted. But he also hasn't missed a game in two years. Sometimes players put the injuries behind them. I remember thinking the 49ers were nuts for drafting Frank Gore in the 3rd round. He had TWO ACLs at Miami. Not a QB, but a RB with two ACLs! Went on to play 16 years in the NFL. 
Yep, his last ACL injury was 3 and a half years ago. He did have a separated shoulder in October of 2021.....not sure how he can be blamed for that. Its definitely overblown but still will be a cause for concern.

Now here's a guy that doesn't get associated with being 'injury prone' yet look at Joe Burrow's history. Yikes. 

Aug 14, 2017Non-NFLHand Wrist Fracture Burrow suffered a broken bone in his throwing hand during practice and had an operation to repair the fracture. He missed the start of the season
Jan 16, 2020Non-NFLChest Rib Fracture Burrow suffered torn rib cartilage near the end of the second quarter in the College Football Playoff national championship game in New Orleans. 
Nov 22, 2020NFLKnee ACL Tear Grade 3Burrow suffered a torn left ACL during Week 11's loss to Washington. He was placed on IR and was shut down for the 2020 season.
Dec 5, 2021NFLHand Finger Dislocation Burrow suffered a dislocated pinkie finger in the Bengals' loss to the Chargers
Jan 2, 2022NFLKnee Strain Grade 1Burrow twisted his knee towards the end of the game vs. the Kansas City Chiefs. 
Feb 13, 2022NFLKnee MCL Sprain Grade 2Burrow suffered an MCL sprain in the final minutes of the Super Bowl
Jul 27, 2023NFLLeg Calf Strain Burrow sustained a right calf strain while rolling out in practice. He returned on August 30th and hasn't missed a game due to this injury. However, Burrow reportedly re-aggravated the injury in Week 2 vs. the Ravens.
Nov 16, 2023NFLHand Wrist Ligament Tear Burrow left in the second quarter of Week 11 vs. the Ravens with a right wrist injury. He missed the remainder of the 2023 NFL season.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@CFIAvike said:
@Zanary said:
Anyone that's followed Penix knows that he's a baller, but he's also already injury prone before he's so much as taken a walk-thru snap at the NFL level...so yeah, that worries me a ton. I wouldn't want to burn a first-round pick on someone that's already an injury liability, especially as we can't seem to put a consistent IOL together...for, y'know, the last decade or more.

As I've said on other threads, I'd spend every game terrified any time a defender hit him in the legs...just like I was when Teddy returned from injury. It's hard for me to be enthusiastic; I actually like Darnold's chances at resurgence more than I like Penix's potential endurance.
I agree 100%. I think Darnold has a less than 10% chance of even looking like an average back up level QB…. And that’s STILL a better chance than I give Penix of EVER playing 17 games in a season. 
That's a little hot takey. Penix has a serious injury history, and that should be reflected in where he's drafted. But he also hasn't missed a game in two years. Sometimes players put the injuries behind them. I remember thinking the 49ers were nuts for drafting Frank Gore in the 3rd round. He had TWO ACLs at Miami. Not a QB, but a RB with two ACLs! Went on to play 16 years in the NFL. 
Yep, his last ACL injury was 3 and a half years ago. He did have a separated shoulder in October of 2021.....not sure how he can be blamed for that. Its definitely overblown but still will be a cause for concern.

Now here's a guy that doesn't get associated with being 'injury prone' yet look at Joe Burrow's history. Yikes. 

Aug 14, 2017Non-NFLHand Wrist Fracture Burrow suffered a broken bone in his throwing hand during practice and had an operation to repair the fracture. He missed the start of the season
Jan 16, 2020Non-NFLChest Rib Fracture Burrow suffered torn rib cartilage near the end of the second quarter in the College Football Playoff national championship game in New Orleans. 
Nov 22, 2020NFLKnee ACL Tear Grade 3Burrow suffered a torn left ACL during Week 11's loss to Washington. He was placed on IR and was shut down for the 2020 season.
Dec 5, 2021NFLHand Finger Dislocation Burrow suffered a dislocated pinkie finger in the Bengals' loss to the Chargers
Jan 2, 2022NFLKnee Strain Grade 1Burrow twisted his knee towards the end of the game vs. the Kansas City Chiefs. 
Feb 13, 2022NFLKnee MCL Sprain Grade 2Burrow suffered an MCL sprain in the final minutes of the Super Bowl
Jul 27, 2023NFLLeg Calf Strain Burrow sustained a right calf strain while rolling out in practice. He returned on August 30th and hasn't missed a game due to this injury. However, Burrow reportedly re-aggravated the injury in Week 2 vs. the Ravens.
Nov 16, 2023NFLHand Wrist Ligament Tear Burrow left in the second quarter of Week 11 vs. the Ravens with a right wrist injury. He missed the remainder of the 2023 NFL season.
This syncs with Maroon’s Law, which is applicable to real football and fantasy. It says “the guy you avoid drafting due to injury history will go on to great success, while the healthy guy you draft in his place will get hurt….damn near every time.” I have it stitched on a pillow.

@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@CFIAvike said:
@Zanary said:

This syncs with Maroon’s Law, which is applicable to real football and fantasy. It says “the guy you avoid drafting due to injury history will go on to great success, while the healthy guy you draft in his place will get hurt….damn near every time.” I have it stitched on a pillow.
Just sent this out to you UPS, keep an eye out....

[Image: A1nYNISnPeL._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7CA1GCI37...Y1000_.png]

@CFIAvike said:
@Zanary said:

I don’t think I’m being “hot takey” at all. He has two season ending knee injuries, looked gimpy and beat up in the Natty and played like absolute shit. I don’t think it’s far fetched to say he’s a major liability. Sure he might be ok when healthy, but I think he’s a big threat to miss games every season he plays. 
He also seems the type to to to “gut it out” except when he guts it out, it’s too a total detriment of the team. 

Quote: @CFIAvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@CFIAvike said:
@Zanary said:

I don’t think I’m being “hot takey” at all. He has two season ending knee injuries, looked gimpy and beat up in the Natty and played like absolute shit. I don’t think it’s far fetched to say he’s a major liability. Sure he might be ok when healthy, but I think he’s a big threat to miss games every season he plays. 
He also seems the type to to to “gut it out” except when he guts it out, it’s too a total detriment of the team. 
very few players really look like they are worth a shit "gutting it out" unless they were putting on airs to begin with,  or they got a visit from Dr Feelgood and his magic serum.

@MaroonBells said:
@CFIAvike said:
@Zanary said:

Yup

Burrows is injury prone...

Talented as hell, but injury prone. 

23 a heartbreaker for Bengals and Bengal fans. 

TSN just mock'd them taking Penix @ 11 and getting DT Newton @ 23. I think most here would take that and run. 

All depends on Penix MEDICALS.

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/nfl/news/vikings-make-shocking-pick-draft-network-nfl-mock-draft/248b8f2c651c3a9d7683b2b7

@MaroonBells said:
@CFIAvike said:
@Zanary said:

Thanks for posting that, I always got told what a "Kirk-stan" I was for mentioning Burrow's injuries as he was another top QB that had a bad line, and then went on to seriously break the bank. He had a much better defense most of his NFL career, though.

I actually think he's a talented clown, and that he'll pull an Andrew Luck and have his body quit on him earlier than anyone expects.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
TSN just mock'd them taking Penix @ 11 and getting DT Newton @ 23. I think most here would take that and run. 

All depends on Penix MEDICALS.

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/nfl/news/vikings-make-shocking-pick-draft-network-nfl-mock-draft/248b8f2c651c3a9d7683b2b7
Can we stay at #11 & draft QB5? I don't trust Chicago at #9. They only have 4 picks in this draft. It makes too much sense for them to trade back with a team that's looking to jump us to draft their own QB. Denver, LV, Seattle & LAR are all in striking distance of #9.
If we like Penix or Nix, we might have to trade up with Tennessee (#7) or Atl. (#8).