Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Well we're cutting the cord, a little bit at a time...
Quote: @PapaScott said:
Put KODI on that firestick and don't look back
The last month or so has been a little bit of a pain in the a$$ with addons going down and changing repositories,but the money saved is well worth the time involved to keep it running.  Papa,do you use one of the paid services for live tv? 

Quote: @Clanzomaelan said:
Papa- do you use a VPN with Kodi?
I'm using a VPN. It will bog down your speed,but gives you anonymity and unlimited bandwidth...also allows you to receive regional blocked content. well worth it IMO. 

Here are the major live TV streaming services that I know of: sling tv, PlayStation vue, Hulu live, DirecTV now and YouTube tv.

There's also the tv antenna, which I have learned not everyone knows about.  I haven't had cable for about 5 years, just watch antenna tv and have Amazon Prime and Netflix.  

We got in on the DirecTV Now promotion a while back for $25 a month. Use it through an Apple TV and a Fire Stick. Get all the channels that we watched previously (minus locals, which we get with an antenna, and NFL Network) for $100 less per month.

Earlier this month, after 10 years of trying to get higher speeds (than a whopping1.5 mbps) on our rural DSL, I got a local wireless provider to get us up to roughly 30 mbps.  We even set up a repeater tower with power near the hopyard, where you could line-of-sight see his tower 8 miles away at the top of one of the local mountains (just a really huge hill, by Montana standards).  I cancelled our local ISP who was screwing us with a "banded DSL"which effectively doubled our speed to almost 3.0 mbps (whoopee) but for $132.90/month.  I cancelled DirecTV.  I got Sling's Orange & Blue plan, (which includes NFL Network for me, and Lifetime/Hallmark movies for the trophy wife...gotta have those Hallmark Christmas movies!  I think she was threatening me).  There are so many free Sling programming options, we cannot track them all yet.  It's taking some time to figure it all out...more time than normal, mainly because we don't watch much TV in the summer.  It will come in time.

ive been wanting to look into all this,  but alas we took a lightning strike monday night and the new dish is coming this next monday so we are locking in for 2 more years.

Movix sent me a handful of PMs about various options for cutting the cord. I've officially had it. I got home from happy hour the other night and just wanted to watch what should be a LOCALLY televised baseball game (I'm in California). Twins vs. Dodgers was on at the bar, and I left to finish it on my couch... and it wasn't included in my package. However, not three channels away I could access an infomercial titled - I'm not making this up, I even took a picture of it - "Do You Poop Enough?" I have 200+ channels of ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT but I can't even watch a local baseball game?

I'm so glad there are alternatives out there now. Illegal alternatives to send a message to these massive companies.

Argh....it's not my dish receiver that's fried,  it's the hdmi ports on my damn tv.  Looks like another $600 bucks.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Argh....it's not my dish receiver that's fried,  it's the hdmi ports on my damn tv.  Looks like another $600 bucks.
That sucks Jimmy....

Do your homework...Do you want a smart tv or not? Make sure you get a fast enough processor. My preference is 1080 too..

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
That sucks Jimmy....

Do your homework...Do you want a smart tv or not? Make sure you get a fast enough processor. My preference is 1080 too..

yeah I dont really know shit about LED tvs so this is going to be a quick decision making process.   I am looking at a 55" Samsung smart tv with 1080p and 60 hertz refresh rate.  we dont really do any gaming so I dont think we will notice the slower refresh rate very often,  but I honestly dont know.   Probably just get to walmart,  pick out 3 or 4 at a decent price and then pick which one has the best picture.