Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you give a 2nd rounder for Fields?
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
I'm not sure if the real question is will they sell tix or not.

I think the question is more of who the hell is going to get excited about a team qb'd by a gordon minshew or a washed-up Wilson?

Not me - I went to maybe 1 home game after Cousins left the building. That kind of fan malaise will eventually have an impact. 

I would be more interested in seeing what our O would look like with a revamped interior OL and a couple of Dlinemen that can stuff the run as well as push the pocket on pass plays.  We have plenty of tape on what our team looks like the way it has been built for the last 6 years,  good enough but not good enough.  We are not 1 QB away as was thought to be the case when they signed Cousins,  infact I would say we are further from the elite in the NFC now than we were then given the weaknesses on both sides of the ball.  not sure how much more proof people need than the last 6 years of futility. 

think about it we were one game away from the superbowl,  the consensus among most fans was it was the QB that was holding us back and Cousins would bridge that gap... since then 1 damn playoff win in 6 years,  depleted roster,  and we are arguing over running that back with a guy coming back from a lower body injury that will leave him less mobile (if thats even possible),  another year older,  and typing up what will end up being a very large chunk of cap space either this year,  or for the next several years once again,  including once hes gone most likely.

Damn,  at what point do you just rip off that band aid?
100% correct. I think most everybody would like Kirk back but not at the numbers being floated around. 

It's going to be interesting to see what the Vikings commitment to him will be because we have to make a determination on him BEFORE the draft in free agency. I think just like last offseason, we have a line in the sand we won't cross on an extension with him and that line might be deeper now with the injury. I think at the end of the day, he is probably going to get a better offer elsewhere and takes it...as Kirk is always about the guaranteed money on contracts. Geoff confirmed he has no interest being a "bridge QB" and will make the Vikings pay "extra" if that becomes the case. At some point you do have to rip the bandaid off, and there really isn't a better time than this offseason..
Good post, I agree

Quote: @Skodin said:
@Norse said:
@CFIAvike said:
Jesus dude….we all get it. You hate Kirk, think he’s incompetent and is incapable of quarterbacking a Super Bowl winning team. I mean you’re dead wrong, but to each their own. 

You do realize THIS is the last year of Jefferson’s rookie contract. Essentially the Vikings have to hit on a pro bowl quarterback (Which will be much harder out of the second tier), and understand he’s that good by the trade deadline this year. Otherwise Jefferson could just decide to test the free agent waters, wait for a team to back up the Brinks truck, and tell us to kick rocks.

Also regardless of whether Kirk is on the team or not, the cap situation drastically improves In 2025. In fact we have so few players with guaranteed money on the cap that year, you could eat all of Kirks dead money that year and still have plenty of room to sign free agents.  

whether you want to admit it or not, it’s gonna be way easier to lock up Jefferson, long-term with Kirk quarterbacking a couple more years while we look for his eventual replacement.

… Or we could go your route, rip the Band-Aid off, start a dart throw of a quarterback. and Waste all the talent we have at wide receiver currently on this team. 
I like Cousins as a person!
But he is never taking us to a super bowl!
What has he accomplished for us...Nothing 
How many QB’s get 6 years to do nothing?

You say JJ needs Cousins. But Mullens a backup quaterback with a weak arm. was averaging more yards per game with JJ than Cousins.
Bridge QB for a 1/3 of the price can accomplish as much as Cousins. And we can help build the rest of the team with Cousins money.

Take it easy, he's only had a top 3 pair of WR every year he's been here, for most of his tenure a top 5 RB to go with it and for the first two years a top 10 defense.  What is the guy supposed to do?

Move on, build with a young guy who isn't as refined but also not as limited in growth and oh by the way add 2-3 more pieces to a defense that is on the way up
He did what he was supposed to do and what he was paid to do, be productive as hell as a QB.

He cant play defense or coach.

At some point fans need to hold the org responsible for putting together a complete surround and quit leaving it all at the feet of the QB.

And b4 someone posts, its Kirks fault because of all the $ he made, I call BS...

Plenty of good, playoff teams have big $ qb's and can field a complete team. The Vikings have been unable to do that and cant compete with the Eagles, 49'ers or Cowboys.  They haven't done that and have been mired in mediocrity. 

Lets not forget his durability has been exemplary and he trails only Tarkenton and Kramer in starts @ QB for the Vikings - and that just since the 2018 season till today. 

From @MB earlier in this thread:
the season began here was the list QBs with the most "QB wins" the previous two seasons and their defensive points per game allowed.
1. Patrick Mahomes (12th)
2. Josh Allen (2nd)
3. Jalen Hurts (11th)
4. Joe Burrow (6th)
5. Kirk Cousins (28th)
6. Aaron Rodgers (13th)
Who stands out to you? Yeah, and that guy was leading the NFL in passing when he was hurt. 
I'm not saying sign him at all costs, but I am far more inclined to try and keep him than kick him to the curb and assume we'll get adequate QB play, let alone KC production. 

Quote: @minny65 said:
Zach Wilson Could Fetch Late-Round Pick In A Trade
The New York Jets are expected to trade quarterback Zach Wilson in the coming weeks as they look to upgrade the backup quarterback position behind Aaron Rodgers. There's a "high probability" of that happening, general manager Joe Douglas recently said. The consensus among three personnel executives, one scout and two assistant coaches from other teams is that Wilson could bring back a sixth- or seventh-round pick from a team willing to take a chance on him as a backup due to his first-round draft pedigree. The Jets could also seek a 2025 conditional pick based on playing time, but they're also unlikely to "get the value they want" in a straight-up trade. Wilson was forced into starting duties in 2023 when Rodgers tore his Achilles in Week 1, but he regressed even more and was benched late in the year.

We have a 6th round pick not a 7th.  I would give up a 6th rounder for Wilson.  Maybe, stressing maybe, KOC can help him develop for a 6th round pick.  I would rather him as a backup then your Mannions, Dobbs etc...
I think most fans would agree with you. Fans just want hope and upside in their backup.

So umm... bump. Lol.
I'm desperate here! Anyone but Darnold and Flacco!

his price is dropping by the day

and the answer is still fuck no!   why go after somebody elses failure, and in the process help bail out a division rival?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
and the answer is still fuck no!   why go after somebody elses failure, and in the process help bail out a division rival?

We're out of good options at QB.  No matter what we do its going to be lipstick on a pig.  I honestly think we should roll with Mullens and either draft or sign one of these failed QBs.

No chance should we trade a 2nd to the bears.  Maybe a 6th or 7th rounder. But getting rid of their QB problem isn't our problem. Certainly not for a day 2 pick.

What's Case Keenum doing these days? .....(sorry)

Okay not a 2nd. What about a 4th?

I’m really not trying to die on the Fields hill but all of the options are bad right now.

If we want to compete at all in 2024 then Fields, draft DL in first or 2nd, and keep filling holes with FAs seems like the best shot that won’t cripple us longterm financially.

If we’re gonna suck in 2024 and everyone’s fine with that then yeah let’s just sign Darnold and be done with it. But I’m still hopeful for a better. As of this moment. That can change rapidly ha. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Okay not a 2nd. What about a 4th?

I’m really not trying to die on the Fields hill but all of the options are bad right now.

If we want to compete at all in 2024 then Fields, draft DL in first or 2nd, and keep filling holes with FAs seems like the best shot that won’t cripple us longterm financially.

If we’re gonna suck in 2024 and everyone’s fine with that then yeah let’s just sign Darnold and be done with it. But I’m still hopeful for a better. As of this moment. That can change rapidly ha. 
I could start getting on board for a 4th.