Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Cautionary Tale
I don’t believe that you can compare a fucked up franchise with a functional one, in the same way that you can’t look at the kids of the parents who are abusive and think that their problems are also going to be your kids problems.
I also don’t believe that you can look at Washington as a organization that is really that serious at fixing their QB problem.  Since Cousins was drafted a billion years ago, they’ve drafted 3 QBs, Dwayne Haskins who was out of the league in 2 years, a 5th rounder, and a 6th rounder.  Their FA hauls look like a team that’s barely tryin

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
A common belief: Teams need to take risks to escape the purgatory of .500 football. Also you can't do the "rebuild" portion of a competitive rebuild while paying Kirk market value. 
6 years ago Washinton was faced with a similar dilemma with the same QB. In the 2 seasons prior to Cousins taking over, the Redskins went 3-13 and 4-12. In the 3 seasons with Cousins as the starter, Washington had a winning record and won a division title, despite having a defense that ranked 28th, 28th and 21st. Obviously the QB was not the problem. Who did they get rid of? The QB.

2 years ago, the Vikings won 13 games despite having the 31st ranked defense. Last year, the Vikings beat the Packers and the 49ers, and played the Chiefs down to the wire, despite not having JJ or a running game. Obviously the QB was not the problem. Who are we about to get rid of? The QB. 

In the 6 seasons since letting Cousins go, Washington has gone through 12 different starters trying to replace him. 12 starters in 6 seasons. The QB they take this April will be number 13.  To their credit, the people in Washington who had a hand in the Cousins decision now admit that it was a big mistake. 

Those who do not learn from history...
Now if we don't run Kirk back until he's 45 we're the Dan Snyder Redskins.   History lesson learned!  Smile

Quote: @medaille said:
I don’t believe that you can compare a fucked up franchise with a functional one, in the same way that you can’t look at the kids of the parents who are abusive and think that their problems are also going to be your kids problems.
I also don’t believe that you can look at Washington as a organization that is really that serious at fixing their QB problem.  Since Cousins was drafted a billion years ago, they’ve drafted 3 QBs, Dwayne Haskins who was out of the league in 2 years, a 5th rounder, and a 6th rounder.  Their FA hauls look like a team that’s barely tryin
Yeah the flipside to the coin is other teams who did the opposite. Chargers moved from Brees to Rivers. Then Rivers to Herbert. GB we know. Chiefs. Ravens. Rams. Seahawks. 

Plenty of teams move off competent QBs. It doesn’t always lead to a SB or even work out, but the Vikings doing it is far from some unprecedented wild notion. All cases are different.

Looking at that list of the past 12 years, tells me we’re an average team for the most part. It beats being dreadful but it’s not special either. I’m hopeful for better but odds are no matter what we do at QB, we’ll continue to see similar results… unless we finally land that white whale. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@medaille said:
Yeah the flipside to the coin is other teams who did the opposite. Chargers moved from Brees to Rivers. Then Rivers to Herbert. GB we know. Chiefs. Ravens. Rams. Seahawks. 

Plenty of teams move off competent QBs. It doesn’t always lead to a SB or even work out, but the Vikings doing it is far from some unprecedented wild notion. All cases are different.

Looking at that list of the past 12 years, tells me we’re an average team for the most part. It beats being dreadful but it’s not special either. I’m hopeful for better but odds are no matter what we do at QB, we’ll continue to see similar results… unless we finally land that white whale. 
Chargers had Brees when they drafted Rivers. Green Bay had Favre when they drafted Rodgers, and Rodgers when they drafted Love. Chiefs had Smith when they drafted Mahomes. Ravens had Flacco when they drafted Jackson. 
I’m not saying it's unwise to move on. I’m saying it's unwise to move on before having his replacement. 

So wait, in this scenario, the Redskins are the abusive ones or the Vikings?  Because I sure feel like a beaten woman after most seasons. 

It doesn't take long for dysfunctional franchises to become functional. And it sure as hell doesn't take long for functional ones to become dysfunctional. Look at New England. That might be the worst team in the NFL right now. Is that a dysfunctional org? 

It's all about the QB. It's ALL about the QB. And for those in back....IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FUCKING QB!!!!!

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:
It doesn't take long for dysfunctional franchises to become functional. And it sure as hell doesn't take long for functional ones to become dysfunctional. Look at New England. That might be the worst team in the NFL right now. Is that a dysfunctional org? 

It's all about the QB. It's ALL about the QB. And for those in back....IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FUCKING QB!!!!!

A little birdie told me the team really likes this guy:

[Image: ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig...146c82bdbe]

Quote: @DeepFreeze05 said:
 Cousins (6 seasons)
            W  L. T
2023:  4  4  0

2022:  13  4  0

2021:   8  9  0

2020:   7  9  0

2019:   10  6  0

2018:  8  7  1

Before Cousins (6 seasons)

2017:  13  3  0

2016:   8  8  0

2015:   11 5  0

2014:   7  9  0

2013:   5  10  1

2012:   10  6  0

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:

Can you tell the birdy to get him at 42 or a trade up?  Addressing Edge with 11 and double dipping with Penix is acceptable but Penix at 11 would be hard to swallow. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:

Woof…

I have so many doubts that this guy is gonna be able to make it through an NFL season, but if the team isn’t worried…so be it I guess. 

I mean, after the top 3 were really just flinging shit against the wall and seeing what sticks. He’s got as good a shot as any, I suppose