Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Cautionary Tale
A common belief: Teams need to take risks to escape the purgatory of .500 football. Also you can't do the "rebuild" portion of a competitive rebuild while paying Kirk market value. 
6 years ago Washinton was faced with a similar dilemma with the same QB. In the 2 seasons prior to Cousins taking over, the Redskins went 3-13 and 4-12. In the 3 seasons with Cousins as the starter, Washington had a winning record and won a division title, despite having a defense that ranked 28th, 28th and 21st. Obviously the QB was not the problem. Who did they get rid of? The QB.

2 years ago, the Vikings won 13 games despite having the 31st ranked defense. Last year, the Vikings beat the Packers and the 49ers, and played the Chiefs down to the wire, despite not having JJ or a running game. Obviously the QB was not the problem. Who are we about to get rid of? The QB. 

In the 6 seasons since letting Cousins go, Washington has gone through 12 different starters trying to replace him. 12 starters in 6 seasons. The QB they take this April will be number 13.  To their credit, the people in Washington who had a hand in the Cousins decision now admit that it was a big mistake. 

Those who do not learn from history...

If Cousins was 29 like he was when Washington let him go, we would not be having this conversation, because he would have already had an extension.  Letting a healthy 29 year old go as opposed to a 36 year old coming off a major surgery are two completely different situations. 

Quote: @JR44 said:
If Cousins was 29 like he was when Washington let him go, we would not be having this conversation, because he would have already had an extension.  Letting a healthy 29 year old go as opposed to a 36 year old coming off a major surgery are two completely different situations. 
Not to mention, did they win a Super Bowl under either circumstance, and hasn't Washington been known for making boneheaded decisions for years.  It's not like keeping Kirk would have changed much to anything other than maybe they could have had a few avg years rather than poor years.

Washington has had 12 different starting QBs since Cousins left. Let that sink in.

Kirk has existing, proven chemistry with JJ, Addison, TJ, the coaches, and a team that unanimously votes him as a captain...and similarly talks about wanting him back.

Yes, I know the money, the age, and everything else matters...but I also know that drafting a young QB is inevitable regardless, and I'd like the young'un to learn behind someone better than Dobbs, Hall, or Mullens...and I want no part of Wilson "riding" with the team.

Quote: @Waterboy said:
@JR44 said:
Not to mention, did they win a Super Bowl under either circumstance, and hasn't Washington been known for making boneheaded decisions for years.  It's not like keeping Kirk would have changed much to anything other than maybe they could have had a few avg years rather than poor years.

For all intents and purposes if your last name wasn't Brady or Mahomes for the past 20 years you haven't won a superbowl either.

I get starting over, but there's a damn good chance we're going to enter QB purgatory and waste Jefferson's good years.

Quote: @JR44 said:
You're right that the situations are not perfectly equal. And if you think it's time for the Vikings to draft Cousins' eventual  replacement because of his age, you'll get no argument from me. 

But this is a post about how hard it is for teams to find good QBs. There are at least a dozen teams who need one. Washington has been through 12 different starters in the 6 seasons since Kirk left. The Bears have spent 104 years searching for a QB. The Lions spent 60 years looking for a guy despite picking in the top 10 perennially. Harrington, Ware, Chuck Long. All 1st rounders, all busts. And the Browns with Mayfield, Manziel, Quinn, Couch. All 1st rounders, all busts.

I think the lesson here is that when you have a good QB, you keep him until you have a competent replacement.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JR44 said:
You're right that the situations are not perfectly equal. And if you think it's time for the Vikings to draft Cousins' eventual  replacement because of his age, you'll get no argument from me. 

But this is a post about how hard it is for teams to find good QBs. There are at least a dozen teams who need one. Washington has been through 12 different starters in the 6 seasons since Kirk left. The Bears have spent 104 years searching for a QB. The Lions spent 60 years looking for a guy despite picking in the top 10 perennially. Harrington, Ware, Chuck Long. All 1st rounders, all busts. And the Browns with Mayfield, Manziel, Quinn, Couch. All 1st rounders, all busts.

I think the lesson here is that when you have a good QB, you keep him until you have a competent replacement.

We have a QB.  We should re-sign said QB.  We should also draft a QB in the 1st to replace him.  Preferable this year. 

I think we'll look back on letting Kirk walk as a mistake in 5-6 years. 

Cousins (6 seasons)
            W  L. T
2023:  4  4  0

2022:  13  4  0

2021:   8  9  0

2020:   7  9  0

2019:   10  6  0

2018:  8  7  1

Before Cousins (6 seasons)

2017:  13  3  0

2016:   8  8  0

2015:   11 5  0