Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DJ's first mock
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
DJ bases his mocks on what he's hearing around the league. Interesting that JJM and Penix are not in his first round. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah...-draft-1-0
I haven't done my own look at the QBs yet but from what I've heard from people I trust aka not Twitter hype, thos guys both are 2nd round material (or later). 

Which isn't to say the qb overdrafting mania that infects teams nowadays might not push either into a spot where they will be setup to disappoint.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
I think EDGE or CB are more likely that D-line. Just my take on how Flores has built his defenses historically. 
I'd take a reciever before I took another cornerback, but EDGE make sense with so much uncertainty heading into the offseason. I still feel our talent along the defensive line is underwhelming and we could use a difference maker up front. 
I think it would be fun to watch Flores open up the scheme more with a CB he trusts. The only starting level CBs on the roster are Byron Murphy and Metellus if you consider him a CB. There were some awfully large compromises in scheme once Murphy went out. 

Still would prioritize EDGE over CB though. Adding a high-end WR3 really doesn't do much. Maybe a mid-round draft pick. 
Looks like Wiggins and DeJean are the two top guys, which would be the better fit for Flores? You want see rioting in the streets...let Kwesi draft another Clemson corner with McCarthy or Penix still on the board. 

My argument for receiver is we don't have much behind Jefferson and Addison. KJ is a free agent that is going to get some interest from other teams. If my choice at #11 was between say taking Rome Odunze and having he and Jefferson on the outside with Addison in the slot, or taking Wiggins...I'd heavily lean towards the receiver. You really have to have multiple options in the receiving game in today's NFL and KOC will want that offense cooking whether it's Cousins, Russell Wilson or whomever. 
Even if KJ cost $5-6M/yr it would be a better allocation of resources vs. spending a 1st round pick and a $4M cap hit in 2024. Basically, KJ or a WR 3 you can add in FA would arguably be cheaper than a high-end draft pick. 

Aside from that, I wouldn't worry too much about the fact Wiggins is from Clemson. Would the Bears be upset with CJ Stroud since Fields went to OSU? Each player deserves their own evaluation. But I would probably rate Terrion Arnold higher than each of those two. He offers versatility and his athleticism/hips offer CB1 upside. 
Before the season, I thought the odds of us bringing back KJO were about 0%. But he fell off this year. I think mostly because Addison turned out to be even better than Thielen. There just wasn't much left for KJ. As a result, I don't think his market is going to be as strong as it could've been. So I think there's a small chance we do bring him back. 

If we don't, receiver is a need, but I see it more of a mid-to-late round need. I think Jalen Nailor was healthy for maybe one game this year, but he should factor in as well. Powell too.  

Quote: @StickyBun said:
His isn't the only mock I've seen that doesn't include McCarthy or Penix in round 1. Both will be available when Minnesota picks at #11, IMO. I don't think Jeremiah knows anything more than anyone else.
Mock drafting is a fantasy exercise not a source of real info. Based on how the draft betting markets work, 90% of the useful info that leaks does so in the last 2-3 days prior to the draft.

I was very impressed by Powell and see him as a good example of as number 3 or 4 WR who is cheap. i too qm curious aboit KJ’s market. How will he viewed considering his QB was out? its hard to say. 

Personally, I don’t like seeing more than a couple of million at most put towards the number 3 and I think KJ gets a bit more than that, but i guess we will see. It’s been really frustrating with Nailor being constantly injured since I think he has some real ability. 

WR is a need, but if I’m drafting one, it’s after the 4th round. 

On a side note, I really like the CB group this year and I think there’s a chance they can get a giod one mid draft. We need depth here pretty bad. Blackmon played great for a rookie, Evans and Booth both showed progression, but its such a high injury position. I’m not ready to give up on them on developing into starters though. 

He had some bumps in the road, but overall I thought Byron Murphy played well. 

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
I was very impressed by Powell and see him as a good example of as number 3 or 4 WR who is cheap. i too qm curious aboit KJ’s market. How will he viewed considering his QB was out? its hard to say. 

Personally, I don’t like seeing more than a couple of million at most put towards the number 3 and I think KJ gets a bit more than that, but i guess we will see. It’s been really frustrating with Nailor being constantly injured since I think he has some real ability. 

On a side note, I really like the CB group this year and I think there’s a chance they can get a giod one mid draft. We need depth here pretty bad. Blackmon played great for a rookie, Evans and Booth both showed progression, but its such a high injury position. I’m not ready to give up on them on developing into starters though. 

Yeah I'm comfortable with the cornerback group going in next season. I think Murphy and Evans, while they may not be all-pro's, are fairly solid starters and Blackmon flashed as a rookie. We made a second round investment in Booth and you have to hope he will continue to progress. I can see adding a mid round pick at the position for depth purposes, but I don't think taking one in the 1st round would be the wisest decision. It's almost got to be quarterback, or defensive line/EDGE. 

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:

I was disappointed in Murphy early, but he played better as the season went on until he was hurt. Blackmon was terrific for a rookie. Evans was good most of the season, giving up .86 yards per coverage snap in weeks 1-15, which ranked in the top 3rd among CBs. Then it all went to hell the last three weeks. Not sure what happened there. Booth looks like he might have a future. 

Either way, I agree that CB is a mid-to-late round draft or 2nd tier free agent need.  

Kiper just put out his first mock. He has the Vikings taking CB Nate Wiggins at #11. McCarthy goes at #16 to Seattle. You want to talk about some rioting in the streets or worst case scenario for 99% of Vikings fans....this is it. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Kiper just put out his first mock. He has the Vikings taking CB Nate Wiggins at #11. McCarthy goes at #16 to Seattle. You want to talk about some rioting in the streets or worst case scenario for 99% of Vikings fans....this is it. 
Yep, I'd personally kill 6 to 7 people if this happens. The only scenario where I'll go supernova mad is if Minnesota passes on McCarthy and 2 or 3 picks later, a team takes him. I'd lose it. I want McCarthy behind Cousins for a year+. 

That sure would suck

I think the only way that happens is if the Vikings sign Kirk for more than 2 years and they end up signing Hunter AND at least one 1st-tier Edge or DL in free agency. In other words, not very likely.