Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DJ's first mock
DJ bases his mocks on what he's hearing around the league. Interesting that JJM and Penix are not in his first round. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah...-draft-1-0

I really want QB but DT is a good fallback and another Byron Murphy would be kinda fun. 

His isn't the only mock I've seen that doesn't include McCarthy or Penix in round 1. Both will be available when Minnesota picks at #11, IMO. I don't think Jeremiah knows anything more than anyone else.

If Newton is not the first tackle taken, I'll be shocked. This seems like a thoughtless pick for the Vikings. It's the Vikings; who cares? May as well give us a Guard. Vikings need IOL help, let's give them a Guard at 11. How about a Center? Give them a Center at 11 because Bradbury sucks. Why not a RB? Mattison did not even score a rushing TD so give them a RB at 11. Position value matters. Murphy is not special. Not even sure he's the second best DT - I know he is not the best. Murphy, Taylor and Jenkins are all a step below Newton. 

You can get a DT in FA; the Vikings do it all the time. Big time WR, DE, LT, CB, and obviously QB are much harder to get and you typically have to draft them. 

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
I really want QB but DT is a good fallback and another Byron Murphy would be kinda fun. 
PA will have a field day with that. But I wouldn't pay attention to who he has going to what team. I would pay a little attention to how high or low he has certain players. So the top three receivers very high, no Keon Coleman at all, Kool-Aid and Newton late, JJM and Penix in the 2nd round...

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
DJ bases his mocks on what he's hearing around the league. Interesting that JJM and Penix are not in his first round. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah...-draft-1-0
So he thinks SF beats the Packers and Lions beat the Bucs. The SF makes it to the superbowl and loses to the Ravens…OK
I am good with that given there is no new Superbowl winner.
Regatding his draft picks… whatever!

Outside of QBOTF, interior defensive line is our biggest need. The position has been down the last few years in the draft and I'm not sure Murphy is worth taking that high, but there's upside there and I've seen one comp on him as Ed Oliver, which is pretty good. 

I find it really interesting as stated, no McCarthy ir Penix...but Nix at 14? The strangeness of draft season is upon us 

Mocks in January are always interesting...  I'm guessing once we have the Senior Bowl, combine, and stuff starts coming out about certain prospects... we'll see these change quite a bit.

So Nix is a "plug and play starter" for the Saints at 14 who still have Derek Carr, but the Vikings with a turning-36 FA QB coming off an Achilles pass on him at 11 for a DT?  

DJ's reasoning here is confusing. 

We need a disruptive defensive lineman and in my opinion that’s Newton over Murphy. Either way, if we don’t go QB, DT is the route I’d take. 
I’m not surprised by how he views JJM and Penix at this point. I suspect Penix will be viewed as a top 10 guy with just too risky of an injury profile. I feel for the guy, but missing so much time can’t be ignored by GM’s. He’s a franchise QB if his body cooperates. JJM is super young. He may feel teams look at the Zach Wilson’s and are a little gun shy.

JJ’s best scenario puts him behind a vet for a couple of years. He has all the tools, but it’s a big step even coming from Michigan. I suspect he will get a serious look from the Vikings along with Nix if they decide to draft one at 11. Personally, I’d dig deep on those two and even Penix and pull the trigger at 11 while saving picks and maybe even presenting an opportunity to trade down a couple of spots and still get their guy. 
Lastly, I expect the Vikings drop a boat load of picks on the Cards if the Bears go Harrison and Washington is all in on Maye.