Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nix only left if we don’t trade into top 5
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
This had been discussed already, but the top 3 teams in the draft are QB needy and are all pretty much locks to take quarterbacks in some order. Even if the Bears stick with Fields and trade out, the chances of them trading that pick to Minnesota is pretty much zero. So figure Williams, Maye and Daniels are all gone, which leaves the Vikings to decide if either McCarthy or Penix are worth the pick (if McCarthy declares). Just my opinion, but it looks like we will be holding an empty bag at the end of the day and likely be looking at guys like Nix and Cam Ward in the second round 
Nothing is a lock right now. We still have the Senior Bowl, the combine, and free agency. Do you ever remember a top three in January that stayed that way to late April? Because I don't.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
This had been discussed already, but the top 3 teams in the draft are QB needy and are all pretty much locks to take quarterbacks in some order. Even if the Bears stick with Fields and trade out, the chances of them trading that pick to Minnesota is pretty much zero. So figure Williams, Maye and Daniels are all gone, which leaves the Vikings to decide if either McCarthy or Penix are worth the pick (if McCarthy declares). Just my opinion, but it looks like we will be holding an empty bag at the end of the day and likely be looking at guys like Nix and Cam Ward in the second round 

Agreed...I have already told myself they are not going to get a ranked top 3 qb in this draft. Maybe they'll get a gem later, but nobody can crystal ball who that might be. 

I do like the scenario of taking one of the top D players @ 11 and trying to trade back into the late 20's to grab a Penix or JJM if he declares. 

This is probably recency bias but I think I’m out on Penix. His arm strength and especially his injury history are huge red flags for me. 

I watched most of the final 3 games they played and while Penix looked great at times, to me all 3 opposing QBs— Nix, Ewers, McCarthy— all seemed to have more zip on the ball than MPJ. Arm strength isn’t the end all but watching Mullens fail to connect with open WRs because he was innaccurate, late, or just throwing ducks is kind of burned into the forefront of my brain right now. I gravitate much more towards the guys with rocket arms, even if they don’t always work out. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@supafreak84 said:
As of today it does feel like this. But the thing is— whether people like the “competitive” rebuild strategy or not, this year there isn’t a ton we could have done either way. 

The teams at the top of the draft S U C K sucked. Even if we’d moved on from Kirk and rolled with Mullens at QB all year long, it’s hard to picture this team only winning 4 or fewer games. I guess we coupd’ve brought Donatell back lol, but short of that I don’t think a top 3 pick was going to happen for us. 

The Panthers won 2 games and the Pats were so bad they might fire Bill Belichek. We certainly could have gotten much closer to #1 but if we’re saying the QBs we really want will be gone by pick 4, we were pretty much destined not to get one considering where our franchise and roster is at. 
The Cousins injury certainly clouded things for this season, but I still believe the "competitive rebuild" strategy to be a farce. We have some talent, but we weren't good enough even with a healthy Cousins to be a top 3 or 4 team in the conference. So once again we are just good enough to be out of range to draft one of the elite quarterback prospects this franchise has sorely needed. Sure, it's all luck and you can find players, quarterbacks anywhere in the draft, but ideally you want as many options and players to choose from as possible, especially when it comes to the more talented guys. The competitive rebuild puts us in this position and will continue to put us in this position where we want to move off Cousins and his contract, but have no other real options but to pay the man and hope father time and more injuries don't rear their ugly heads. 

If I was a betting man, I'd say we draft a positional guy at #11 and take a swing at quarterback in the second round. That leaves us choosing between realistic options like Cousins and Russell Wilson to once again be our starter. 

Here's a real debate...would we be better off bringing Cousins back as a 36 year QB coming off an achillies injury and on a hefty extension, or would you take the healthier Russell Wilson who you could probably sign at a fraction of the cost? Im not so sure Wilson wouldn't be the better option..

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@pattersaur said:
@supafreak84 said:
As of today it does feel like this. But the thing is— whether people like the “competitive” rebuild strategy or not, this year there isn’t a ton we could have done either way. 

The teams at the top of the draft S U C K sucked. Even if we’d moved on from Kirk and rolled with Mullens at QB all year long, it’s hard to picture this team only winning 4 or fewer games. I guess we coupd’ve brought Donatell back lol, but short of that I don’t think a top 3 pick was going to happen for us. 

The Panthers won 2 games and the Pats were so bad they might fire Bill Belichek. We certainly could have gotten much closer to #1 but if we’re saying the QBs we really want will be gone by pick 4, we were pretty much destined not to get one considering where our franchise and roster is at. 
The Cousins injury certainly clouded things for this season, but I still believe the "competitive rebuild" strategy to be a farce. We have some talent, but we weren't good enough even with a healthy Cousins to be a top 3 or 4 team in the conference. So once again we are just good enough to be out of range to draft one of the elite quarterback prospects this franchise has sorely needed. Sure, it's all luck and you can find players, quarterbacks anywhere in the draft, but ideally you want as many options and players to choose from as possible, especially when it comes to the more talented guys. The competitive rebuild puts us in this position and will continue to put us in this position where we want to move off Cousins and his contract, but have no other real options but to pay the man and hope father time and more injuries don't rear their ugly heads. 

If I was a betting man, I'd say we draft a positional guy at #11 and take a swing at quarterback in the second round. That leaves us choosing between realistic options like Cousins and Russell Wilson to once again be our starter. 

Here's a real debate...would we be better off bringing Cousins back as a 36 year QB coming off an achillies injury and on a hefty extension, or would you take the healthier Russell Wilson who you could probably sign at a fraction of the cost? Im not so sure Wilson wouldn't be the better option..
I agree with everything you said here, my point was just that even if we’d gone for the full on tank, we still might not have had a shot at the top 3 QBs. Both roads may have led to roughly the same point for us. The Bears opted for a full on rebuild and have gotten in my opinion, very lucky with the Panthers trade. No way Carolina makes that deal last year if they thought they’d be the worst team in football this season. Let’s say Carolina stunk but had pick 5 instead of 1. Then the Bears are probably keeping Fields and their QB and franchise outlook is totally different. I’m trying not to dwell on what we could have done, just on what we can do moving forward.

Russell Wilson or Kirk and defensive picks might be our best move. I do like JJ though. Need to watch more Nix but I like him too.