Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Dobbs
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@comet52 said:
I said it as far back as prior to the Denver game - Dobbs is a known commodity and he would crash hard.  

I get why fans would be talking about how he was gonna get a 30 mil/yr contract after the Atlanta game, haha, but why KOC, with years of experience and a big staff of experts on hand, needed to fuck around with Dobbs through nearly 3 full games after Dobbs was clearly reverting to form late vs the Saints is mystifying.

If Coach Hot Air would have just switched to Mullens at the half in Denver, something which seemed obvious at the time, there's a reasonable chance we're 9-4 or 8-5 right now.

But I'm sure I'm about to hear crap like "fastest to 20 wins in Viking history"!   This guy is stumbling badly in many areas.  If it weren't for Flores who is bound to leave soon we'd be 2-11 right now and coach genius would probably be looking at an exit.  
The people really talking seriously about Dobbs as the QB next year did so out of their dislike of Cousins. Easy to spot. Dobbs is exactly what he's always been, a guy not nearly good enough to start anywhere for more than a game or two. Mullens should have started the whole game yesterday.
Sorry to be so negative, but I don't see Mullins as much better than Dobbs.
KOC's offensive strategy is almost wholly dependent upon QB play. Some surprise coming from a former QB.
With no consequential run game and no starting caliber QB's, he will be hard pressed to coach his way to success.
He has play makers and nobody to deliver the ball to them consistently.

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
@StickyBun said:
@comet52 said:
I said it as far back as prior to the Denver game - Dobbs is a known commodity and he would crash hard.  

I get why fans would be talking about how he was gonna get a 30 mil/yr contract after the Atlanta game, haha, but why KOC, with years of experience and a big staff of experts on hand, needed to fuck around with Dobbs through nearly 3 full games after Dobbs was clearly reverting to form late vs the Saints is mystifying.

If Coach Hot Air would have just switched to Mullens at the half in Denver, something which seemed obvious at the time, there's a reasonable chance we're 9-4 or 8-5 right now.

But I'm sure I'm about to hear crap like "fastest to 20 wins in Viking history"!   This guy is stumbling badly in many areas.  If it weren't for Flores who is bound to leave soon we'd be 2-11 right now and coach genius would probably be looking at an exit.  
The people really talking seriously about Dobbs as the QB next year did so out of their dislike of Cousins. Easy to spot. Dobbs is exactly what he's always been, a guy not nearly good enough to start anywhere for more than a game or two. Mullens should have started the whole game yesterday.
KOC's offensive strategy is almost wholly dependent upon QB play. Some surprise coming from a former QB.
With no consequential run game and no starting caliber QB's, he will be hard pressed to coach his way to success.

There are very very very few instances of successful seasons where the starting QB goes down midseason.  KOC gets a mulligan on the season. I think it was fair for KOC to give Dobbs a chance.  I probably would have called it a day at halftime.  I have no idea if we're going anywhere this season, but it would be a miracle if KOC got Mullens to ball out the rest of the season and actually make a real run.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@jargomcfargo said:
@StickyBun said:
@comet52 said:

There are very very very few instances of successful seasons where the starting QB goes down midseason.  KOC gets a mulligan on the season. I think it was fair for KOC to give Dobbs a chance.  I probably would have called it a day at halftime.  I have no idea if we're going anywhere this season, but it would be a miracle if KOC got Mullens to ball out the rest of the season and actually make a real run.
Thats why some of us were calling for taking a look at Hall the rest of the way even after the lucky Dobbs Atlanta game.  But the organization apparently believes a playoff appearance with Dobbs or now Mullens is some sort of imperative.  The fact it will end ugly doesn't seem to matter to them.  And we're just along for the ride.

Quote: @comet52 said:
@AGRforever said:
@jargomcfargo said:
@StickyBun said:
@comet52 said:

Thats why some of us were calling for taking a look at Hall the rest of the way even after the lucky Dobbs Atlanta game.  But the organization apparently believes a playoff appearance with Dobbs or now Mullens is some sort of imperative.  The fact it will end ugly doesn't seem to matter to them.  And we're just along for the ride.
Agreed, it sure does suck to be in the thick of the NFC playoff hunt and even possibly winning the NFCN on December 12th. Blows. I mean, if we aren't obviously the most dominant team in the NFC and easy Super Bowl fave, why even suit up? 

[Image: giphy.gif]

@comet52 said:

I could understand giving Dobbs another shot with some time and breathing room to teach him the offense, but after the first few series, and especially after the half, I was shocked KOC kept him in there. 

The one thing Josh Dobbs lacks is...poise.  If the route isn't immediately there, panic sets in.

Dobbs is late getting the ball out and his arm wont make up for it.  i like his potential as a QB2 with a full camp behind him, but this is not the offense for him probably.  

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
The one thing Josh Dobbs lacks is...poise.  If the route isn't immediately there, panic sets in.
Yep. And IMO this is the biggest difference between QBs who succeed in the NFL and those who fail. That ability to stand strong in the pocket, stay calm, feel the pressure without looking at it, keep eyes up, go through progressions, and deliver the ball on time, whether your guy is open or not. All in 2 or 3 seconds.

Easier said than done. But that was the glaring difference between Dobbs and Mullens. On Mullens' first two passes, he got to the bottom of his drop and fired a ball to receivers who weren't really open. He hit one, missed another. But that's what you have to do. 

Even in Dobbs two wins, you could see that this was going to be a problem for him. 

@comet52 said:
@AGRforever said:
@jargomcfargo said:
@StickyBun said:
@comet52 said:

Agreed, it sure does suck to be in the thick of the NFC playoff hunt and even possibly winning the NFCN on December 12th. Blows. I mean, if we aren't obviously the most dominant team in the NFC and easy Super Bowl fave, why even suit up? 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Yes it's sarcasm...weak sarcasm. B)

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@ArizonaViking said:
Yep. And IMO this is the biggest difference between QBs who succeed in the NFL and those who fail. That ability to stand strong in the pocket, stay calm, feel the pressure without looking at it, keep eyes up, go through progressions, and deliver the ball on time, whether your guy is open or not. All in 2 or 3 seconds.

Easier said than done. But that was the glaring difference between Dobbs and Mullens. On Mullens' first two passes, he got to the bottom of his drop and fired a ball to receivers who weren't really open. He hit one, missed another. But that's what you have to do. 

Even in Dobbs two wins, you could see that this was going to be a problem for him. 

But somehow KOC couldn't.  It's questionable that he's ever going to lead us anywhere if he can't figure out stuff that's so obvious that even I, a crusty old fan with goofy opinions =) knew it immediately after the Atlanta game. 

I get starting him in Denver after two wins but I wanted him out at halftime of that game.  Mullens has flaws and turns it over regularly but he can run the offense and score points.  Combined with the D we are playing now we'd very likely be 9-4 or 8-5.  My estimation of KOC was a bit shakey before this mid season qb experiment, which based on quotes from the HC was about getting Dobbs an NFL participation trophy that he somehow hadn't been gifted by 8 other teams in his 7 years in the league.  Does KOC think they hired him to win a humanitarian award or to win football games?