Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does this team really need a Kirk Cousins?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Zanary said:
Oh good, adding to 5 years of "trade Kirk" blather!

How fuggin' original.

Here's a headline: the Vikings have not been a good enough team to advance beyond the levels they've achieved as a GROUP.  2017 was a whole series of flukes, for Keenum most of all, and it took a genuine miracle (particularly a defender error) to beat NOLA in the playoffs.  Phlly steamrolled us in a way that reminded us that we weren't really there.

The NFL figured out Zimmer's defense, and he was a complete s**t to a QB and offense that got him 10-15 more passing TDs per season.  The o-line was crap, the defenense fell off a cliff, and Cousins let the team move his money all over the place to help pay others...so, no, his contract didn't shackle the team.

This year, we lead the league in turnovers and drops...and are losing the same 1-score games we were winning, before.  Given how many of Cousins' passes I've seen hit targets in both hands, yet get dropped/bobbled, I have to think that putting most of the blame on him is a combination of agenda and insanity.

The team, as a whole, is "off", never seems to be clicking beyond a drive or two.  That's largely on coaching, and I don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

The defense has gone from the cellar to mid-pack, the o-line is truly stepping up.  Maybe, just maybe, the team is coming together and will get their goofs ironed out for a strong second half...and JJ's return.
God damn kookaid drinking homer... 

Bet I can tell you how it's all gonna go down, because....VIKINGS! We're gonna play the 49ers tough and then lose because of another silly mistake. Then we're gonna trade Hunter. Then we're gonna go on a 6 game winning streak, sitting at 8-5 and very much in playoff contention, wishing we had kept Hunter.
you forgot the rest of the story,  but you are dead on to this point,  the rest is the team shits the bed once again in the wild card round,  gets the 19th pick and chooses the 3rd defensive back off the board once again ignoring the need for QB or either line.  meanwhile that DB never really fits what they need him to do here and cant get on the field because he is stuck behind some middlin late rounders and UDFAs... but dammit we've got that wild card game to reminisce on for the next few years....of course we would have won that playoff game if we hadnt traded Hunter,  never mind that our O only puts up 13 points....because VIKINGS! :p
Put me down for the wild card round part! We'll take it from there. 
take what from there,  a bus home?  this team is not going anywhere unless we run into a team with worse luck than we have.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Zanary said:

How fuggin' original.

Here's a headline: the Vikings have not been a good enough team to advance beyond the levels they've achieved as a GROUP.  2017 was a whole series of flukes, for Keenum most of all, and it took a genuine miracle (particularly a defender error) to beat NOLA in the playoffs.  Phlly steamrolled us in a way that reminded us that we weren't really there.

The NFL figured out Zimmer's defense, and he was a complete s**t to a QB and offense that got him 10-15 more passing TDs per season.  The o-line was crap, the defenense fell off a cliff, and Cousins let the team move his money all over the place to help pay others...so, no, his contract didn't shackle the team.

This year, we lead the league in turnovers and drops...and are losing the same 1-score games we were winning, before.  Given how many of Cousins' passes I've seen hit targets in both hands, yet get dropped/bobbled, I have to think that putting most of the blame on him is a combination of agenda and insanity.

The team, as a whole, is "off", never seems to be clicking beyond a drive or two.  That's largely on coaching, and I don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

The defense has gone from the cellar to mid-pack, the o-line is truly stepping up.  Maybe, just maybe, the team is coming together and will get their goofs ironed out for a strong second half...and JJ's return.

Bet I can tell you how it's all gonna go down, because....VIKINGS! We're gonna play the 49ers tough and then lose because of another silly mistake. Then we're gonna trade Hunter. Then we're gonna go on a 6 game winning streak, sitting at 8-5 and very much in playoff contention, wishing we had kept Hunter.
you forgot the rest of the story,  but you are dead on to this point,  the rest is the team shits the bed once again in the wild card round,  gets the 19th pick and chooses the 3rd defensive back off the board once again ignoring the need for QB or either line.  meanwhile that DB never really fits what they need him to do here and cant get on the field because he is stuck behind some middlin late rounders and UDFAs... but dammit we've got that wild card game to reminisce on for the next few years....of course we would have won that playoff game if we hadnt traded Hunter,  never mind that our O only puts up 13 points....because VIKINGS! :p
take what from there,  a bus home?  this team is not going anywhere unless we run into a team with worse luck than we have.
It's always possible. And I've said this before, but I really don't get this Super Bowl or nothing stuff. Like it's the only thing that matters. And you're certainly not the only one who thinks that. But I just don't understand it. Never have, never will. 

And to think after 49 years I thought I was the only one that knew this team well. And people say the future isn't written yet, little do they know.

@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Zanary said:

How fuggin' original.

It's always possible. And I've said this before, but I really don't get this Super Bowl or nothing stuff. Like it's the only thing that matters. And you're certainly not the only one who thinks that. But I just don't understand it. Never have, never will. 
Remember,   for you and a few others t's just entertainment no matter what,  for the rest of us its a Lombardi before we die,   and most of us are running out of seasons.  We are closing in on 50 years since even making a SB,  50 fucking years,  and as of today it looks like the Lions could get there before we do.  This franchise is floundering in mediocrity and for many of us,  thats just not acceptable any more,  if we don't see a team making moves to change their course of bleh...then we are gonna bitch,  we will still watch amd cheer on Sunday,   but no more tinted shades for me.  

@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Zanary said:

How fuggin' original.

Remember,   for you and a few others t's just entertainment no matter what,  for the rest of us its a Lombardi before we die,   and most of us are running out of seasons.  We are closing in on 50 years since even making a SB,  50 fucking years,  and as of today it looks like the Lions could get there before we do.  This franchise is floundering in mediocrity and for many of us,  thats just not acceptable any more,  if we don't see a team making moves to change their course of bleh...then we are gonna bitch,  we will still watch amd cheer on Sunday,   but no more tinted shades for me.  

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm losing the ability to even count the years since our Superbowl season of 1976.

The last time they got to a SB I was a couple of years too young to get a driver's license.  By the time they get back there, the state will have pulled my license on account of me being completely geriatric, running down puppies and baby carriages while I wheel around town oblivious to it all.

@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Zanary said:

How fuggin' original.

Yes, I know. But for the luvva God, stop thinking like that! It's unhealthy. 

Quote: @comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Zanary said:

How fuggin' original.

This 2-4 and imo soon to be 2-6 team got its wins barely beating two of the worst teams in football, in fact they could have lost both games.   I'd say going on a 6 game win streak is about as likely as me winning the lottery.
The team that played the Bears and Panthers sure as hell isn't going to win 6 straight. But I think the team that played the Eagles, Chargers and Chiefs can, provided JJ isn't out more than 4 weeks. Teams change identities over the course of a season. They do this all the time and nobody seems to notice. It's why Bud used to say it's not who you play it's when you play them. 

Just one example, last year the Lions started 1-6. This was a team you wanted to play. They finished 9-8, barely missing the playoffs. That December Lions team you wanted no part of. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Zanary said:

How fuggin' original.

Yes, I know. But for the luvva God, stop thinking like that! It's unhealthy. 
It's perfectly natural,  thinking that Kirk is gonna take this team to the promised land... well that might be a sign of a health issue. =)

It's perfectly natural,  thinking that Kirk is gonna take this team to the promised land... well that might be a sign of a health issue. =)
The not-so-secret secret is that the TEAM takes itself...or not.  Period.

We weren't going with a toxic head coach.

We weren't going with his predecessor, who's likely still watching tape from 2013.

We weren't going with Teddy or Case, who barely averaged at or above 1 passing TD per game.

We weren't going with 30th-rated defenses.

We weren't going with constant o-line issues.

NOW...our defense has clawed its way into mediocrity, our o-line is actually rated well, and our losses largely come down to...errors, in the forms of turnovers and drops.

Furthermore, two of our losses were to the most recent superbowl teams, another to a very recent superbowl champion, and one...well, Herbert sliced us up.  85% is a brutal number.

All that said, the new defense was going to take time, and correcting mistakes goes a HUGE way toward this team flipping its script.

Hey, I know, the mega-nega-nancies are already calling in a "just good enough to screw our draft position" season, because they're sad wretches by definition.  Really, that's being a sad wretch.  Honest.

Yeah, I want at least one Lombardi before I die, and I actually want a winning record in Superbowls before I die...but I think it's not only right, but actually important to mock and malign the grim b****es that want to cast negativity all over sites, boards, and threads every season.  Treat them badly, as they're all too happy to rain on parades.  It's a fair exchange!