Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB Daniel Jones, Giants
He is a Joe Flacco level quarterback and the Giants were put in a difficult spot to either pay him after a season of improvement, or dump him because he had been awful prior to that. They elected to go with the devil they knew and pay the guy as theor other options were slim. The problem is their offensive line is in shambles and that offense is completely reliant on Saquan Barkley being in the lineup because Jones is incapable of winning games on his own. I know the quarterback market is what it is, but it's tough to justify paying a quarterback big money who is incapable of winning games on his own.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
their OL is piecemeal I think two of their starters were out, then lost their center early in the game.

seahawks sacked him 11 times last night
Last night was reminiscent of Archie Manning in a Viking uniform playing the 86 Bears. 

Giants were in a tough position with him as others have pointed out. Not a bad player, not a great one - but gets QB $. Danny dimes owes the Viking D a big thank you from 2022. 

I know switching gears, but I still cannot believe we lost to the crappy Giants/Jones at home last playoffs.  

The problem isn't his pay or his play,  except that they aren't commensurate to each other.  The problem is that teams are scared of losing out on mediocrity and as such are over paying for it.  You can win with mediocrity,   but not if you can't afford to pay the requisite players around that mediocre QB that it takes to elevate the entire offense.

Teams with good not great qbs on rookie deals look good,  until they have to start paying other positions ( ol and skill positions) in addition to that 2nd over inflated QB deal.  I have said forever,  my only issue with Kirk is that he was getting to much for what he brought to the table,   people always said the market the market,   fuck the market,   the market isn't winning trophies and rings,  get off the stupid notion of overpaying for average QB play and be a leader in resetting the group think. 

Jones would be fine with a better support cast his contract should have shown that,  the Giants screwed up and as such will pay for it.  Which they should. 

And hell no to Kyler Murray,  bro should have went with baseball. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
He is a Joe Flacco level quarterback and the Giants were put in a difficult spot to either pay him after a season of improvement, or dump him because he had been awful prior to that. They elected to go with the devil they knew and pay the guy as theor other options were slim. The problem is their offensive line is in shambles and that offense is completely reliant on Saquan Barkley being in the lineup because Jones is incapable of winning games on his own. I know the quarterback market is what it is, but it's tough to justify paying a quarterback big money who is incapable of winning games on his own.
Yup.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
The problem isn't his pay or his play,  except that they aren't commensurate to each other.  The problem is that teams are scared of losing out on mediocrity and as such are over paying for it.  You can win with mediocrity,   but not if you can't afford to pay the requisite players around that mediocre QB that it takes to elevate the entire offense.

Teams with good not great qbs on rookie deals look good,  until they have to start paying other positions ( ol and skill positions) in addition to that 2nd over inflated QB deal.  I have said forever,  my only issue with Kirk is that he was getting to much for what he brought to the table,   people always said the market the market,   fuck the market,   the market isn't winning trophies and rings,  get off the stupid notion of overpaying for average QB play and be a leader in resetting the group think. 

Jones would be fine with a better support cast his contract should have shown that,  the Giants screwed up and as such will pay for it.  Which they should. 

Sounds great in theory but no agent worth his salt is going to allow his client to sign a below market contract.

I heard on sports radio today that the Gmen can pretty much be off the hook with him after 2024. So while it doesnt look like a good signing today, this is nothing like how the Bronco's got bent over on Russ Wilson. 

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Sounds great in theory but no agent worth his salt is going to allow his client to sign a below market contract.
its not up to the agents,  its on the teams and owners to stop the insanity of over paying for below value players.  they are doing it with RBs right now,  they just need to stop making dumb ass offers because they are afraid of looking for another QB... what would have happened if the Giants had let Jones go instead of over paying?  They would have gotten a different QB and played football,  worst outcome is they lose... well guess what,  they already do that and dont have the money or cap freedom to fix it now.

make offers based on what a QB can do on his own and  what its going to take to get an offense to be successful with him.  if they dont want it,  let them walk and move onto the next one. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I heard on sports radio today that the Gmen can pretty much be off the hook with him after 2024. So while it doesnt look like a good signing today, this is nothing like how the Bronco's got bent over on Russ Wilson. 
If you call $22.2 million in dead cap money off the hook....

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
If you call $22.2 million in dead cap money off the hook....
Relative to Rogers $60mm?  Yah, thats not bad. Not great, but do-able if he's just a disaster. Gmen front office should get a little more rope than say a KAM too.