Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sporting News: MN Running-back battle, D. Cook ready to smoke LM...
Here is how I see the current RB roster:

Cook's going to be our "Roger Craig" type WCO player - can run, catch and as soon as he picks up the blocking schemes he will be the feature back.  Not sure how long that all clicks for him, I say early into the season by about week 4.  Craig wasn't the biggest guy but he did break a lot of tackles, ran some great screens, and could block for Montana and the Bill Walsh designed WCO.  That is what Shurmur see's in Cook - just my comparison for now.

Until Cook picks it all up - Murray who can also currently run, catch and is said to be an excellent blocking back will be the feature back.  Murray, despite having better 40X does not seem to have the game-day in pads speed that Cook looks to be bringing to the next level.  Cook's speed on game film is good (not great, he gets caught from behind at the college level so I don't see a ton of 40+ TD's) and much better then the times he runs on a track. Straight-line timed speed is nice but vision with cut speed is better and that is what Cook is supposed to be bringing that Murray does not have.

I don't think Murray is a slouch so if Cook flops (I know impossibleSmile  then Murray is an adequate back IMO.  In fact, I don't think we were going to pick a RB until after our first two picks with the thought that Murray will hold it down and we will ease a rookie back-in.  That changed when Cook fell.  

Hopefully, Cook steps-up and the combination of Cook/Murray gives us what is needed in todays NFL - two backs.  Not a 50/50 split but nice to have 2 backs that can do all 3 phases of the game - run, catch and block.  

If that develops then I do think McKinnon will be the odd man out because what can he do better.  He will be a decent backup for this year then a free agent.  

Quote: @minny65 said:

If that develops then I do think McKinnon will be the odd man out because what can he do better.  He will be a decent backup for this year then a free agent.  
Good summary and I agree with your perspective. Re McKinnon, I'm curious to see if he will try to take on some "non-RB" roles, like KR or slot receiver. We're all eager to see Rodney Adams because he is new, but the coaches might trust JM more than a rookie. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@minny65 said:

Good summary and I agree with your perspective. Re McKinnon, I'm curious to see if he will try to take on some "non-RB" roles, like KR or slot receiver. We're all eager to see Rodney Adams because he is new, but the coaches might trust JM more than a rookie. 
Sorry dude, clicked the wrong icon on your post and can't figure out to remove it.  Never mind I figured it out. 

I am really looking forward to this competition.   Hopefully Shurmer will figure out how to utilize all three, yes I think Jet will make the team.  Bring on the three headed monster. 

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
I am really looking forward to this competition.   Hopefully Shurmer will figure out how to utilize all three, yes I think Jet will make the team.  Bring on the three headed monster. 
Oh I do think Jet makes the team this year.  

I know cook can run and catch but, I want to see if Cook can block in the backfield and not fumble in big games.  If he can do that we have a winner!

I keep reading the headline as him smoking Legalized Marijuana....

I am so tired of the cliche writing of "It will be so weird seeing someone else being featured on the Vikings instead of Adrian Peterson." Players move all the time. And Peterson has played in 20 of the last 48 regular season games for the Vikings. It has been more uncommon for him to play for the Vikings in the last 3 seasons than not play for the Vikings. 

It will be so weird seeing someone else being featured on the Vikings instead of Adrian Peterson. The Patriots roll out 3-4 RBs most years and just play to each guy's strengths and even more specifically, they tailor entire gameplans and a week of practice around different guys, based on that week's opponent. I'd love to see the Vikings do some of that but I'm not sure I trust our offensive staff to pull it off.

I say everyone enjoy the depth Jet brings us....I think this is the last year on his rook contract?