Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sporting News: MN Running-back battle, D. Cook ready to smoke LM...
Ok, I don't make-up the titles...

It will be weird to see the Vikings feature someone other than Adrian Peterson in the backfield. For the first time in a decade, there is a question as to who will be Minnesota's lead running back to start the season.It once looked like that person would be Latavius Murray, after the former Raiders Pro Bowler signed a three-year, $15 million free-agent deal in March. That all changed when the team drafted Dalvin Cook in the second round (No. 41 overall) in April.
It was a bad sign for Murray, also dealing with recovery from offseason ankle surgery, that the Vikings aggressively traded up to get Cook. Murray's first uphill battle is just being able to get on the field healthy at some point in training camp.
So much for trusting Murray on early downs while turning to holdover scatback Jerick McKinnon on passing downs. Cook is in prime position to take the every-down work right away.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/dal...68221c4ml8

I don't necessarily think McKinnon is a lock for the 3rd RB spot, he may be the odd man out.

I personally like the situation...Murray doesn't just walk in and is handled the starting running back spot, he's going have to work his ass off in training camp to get it.  And  Cook is pretty much in the same situation, if he wants half or more than half the carries, he's going have to bust his butt too.
This is the way it should be as far as I see it.  Either go out there and earn it or ride the bench.

Before it starts, it kinda reminds me of Chester Taylor and AP...

LM should be steady, unspectacular but can be counted on for certain situations. Not the guy I'd want to build my offense around for the long-term. 

Cook's the home-run hitter. I hope. 

I suspect they'll be highly complimentary of each other and should give defense headaches and a few fits. 

Could also be a Leroy Hoard and Robert Smith combo...

God, please no kiddie health challenges....Tonsils, earaches...

I think people are underestimating McKinnon.  He is a lock for the roster for sure.  His role TBD.  But he definitely has shown skills that make him a contributor.  He won't be the starter but valuable in certain plays/formations.  Cook will be the starter by end of year.

I just think with Murray's pass blocking and receiving skills he's a great option for 3rd down back. Cook's speed, raw talent and threat to break every carry only reinforces that. I see McKinnon as Cook's change up. Gonna be fun to watch in camp. 

Quote: @"Bolstad79" said:
I don't necessarily think McKinnon is a lock for the 3rd RB spot, he may be the odd man out.
I doubt McKinnon's roster spot is in any danger. Who would take it? 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
God, please no kiddie health challenges....Tonsils, earaches...
Lol...forgot about all that...hopefully he's the homerun hitter, score from anywhere version, not the mumps version...