Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
risner on the way to minnesota?
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
He's not coming to Minnesota.
was this the gut talking,  or your source?
Source. He's heard they aren't going to pay Risner 'what he wants for what they'll get'. Probably more to it than that, but that's the whiff he got. If they move on Ingram, it would be for Brandel. I guess things can change, but that's the current thought. The only reason I even spoke to him is because he's coming down to Florida over the Thanksgiving holidays ( quick 2 days) and we are going to have lunch. Otherwise, I don't bug him during the season (or at least rarely).

thanks,  that pretty much what my gut was telling me too.
p.s. keep in mind they just restructured Brian O'Neill's contract to open up almost $10 M in cap space yesterday....might be for someone.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
He's not coming to Minnesota.
was this the gut talking,  or your source?
Source. He's heard they aren't going to pay Risner 'what he wants for what they'll get'. Probably more to it than that, but that's the whiff he got. If they move on Ingram, it would be for Brandel. I guess things can change, but that's the current thought. The only reason I even spoke to him is because he's coming down to Florida over the Thanksgiving holidays ( quick 2 days) and we are going to have lunch. Otherwise, I don't bug him during the season (or at least rarely).

thanks,  that pretty much what my gut was telling me too.
p.s. keep in mind they just restructured Brian O'Neill's contract to open up almost $10 M in cap space yesterday....might be for someone.

Possibly,  but I would rather see a Jefferson deal,  this roster isn't one RG away from suddenly being in a position to compete with the Niners and other top teams,  play this thing out and look to fix it right instead of overpriced band aids IMO.  It would be one thing if Risner is a long term solution,   but that doesn't sound like the case.

we would have heard by now if he was on a plane here or landed here. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@supafreak84 said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
If true, why the F are we signing him now instead of a month ago when he was in for a visit? Did it really have to cost us a win against a mediocre opponent at home for the front office to come to this conclusion? 
because his salary is non-guaranteed after week one. 
Good point, but we had the cap space and probably should have just signed him 
This. However, if I'm Risner and his Agent, I don't show up without a guarantee for the rest of the season. 

I absolutely agree from an agents standpoint.  I also see a guy who still "can play" who isn't on a team and it's week 2.  At some point here his value is going to be 0.  I think I'd take a shot at a couple million $$$ now rather then wait for an extra million or two.....or whatever he think's he's worth.
Hypothetically (completely pulled out of my ass figures) lets say $5 million was an offer but he thinks he's worth $7.5m  As the season wears on the odds of him getting $7.5m go way down as does that $5m.  In a few weeks teams wont be willing to pay more then the vet minimum.  If he misses the season, he might be done for good.  I think I'd figure out a way to get onto a team now and get a paycheck. 

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@supafreak84 said:
@HappyViking said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
If true, why the F are we signing him now instead of a month ago when he was in for a visit? Did it really have to cost us a win against a mediocre opponent at home for the front office to come to this conclusion? 
Again,  maybe his camp has lowered their demands,  week 1 is over and they have missed out on 1 pay check already,   maybe they are realizing this and are more inclined to deal now?  I mean why not last spring instead of waiting until camp to bring him in?
If he saw Ingram on Sunday, and they are inviting him back now...I'd say he's negotiating from a position of strength and his contract demands certainly wouldn't be decreasing. But who knows. I thinks it's ridiculous thefront office didn't do more to protect themselves regarding Ingram and Bradbury..
Isn't it good that they didn't improve at RG?  I mean, don't you WANT the Vikes to lose to help with the rebuild?
No because we are locked in on this "competitive rebuild" bullshit now...so let's be competitive and try to win. I mean, I was told this is a 12 win, Super Bowl-contending roster all offseason so no sense doing some pussyfoot rebuild now 
I don't think anyone in the media predicts a 12 win season with the team going deep into the playoffs, and I don't think you believed it either.  Obviously this off-season was used to get rid of veteran salaries so the new regime can start a rebuild.  While I do enjoy wins, most Longshippers here don't believe this is a SB level team.  It's great to be optimistic, don't get me wrong, but realistically this team isn't there yet.  I'm pretty sure you know that too. 
Personnally I don't want to tank the season, and I'm on board with getting the cap space to get Hock, Hunter, and JJ contracts. 
Oh there were plenty on here saying this team was going to be as good or better this season when I said from the outset this smells like a .500 football team that likely wouldn't make the playoffs. But regardless, we've got one foot in the pond already so let's try to win some games

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@HappyViking said:
@supafreak84 said:
@HappyViking said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
Again,  maybe his camp has lowered their demands,  week 1 is over and they have missed out on 1 pay check already,   maybe they are realizing this and are more inclined to deal now?  I mean why not last spring instead of waiting until camp to bring him in?
If he saw Ingram on Sunday, and they are inviting him back now...I'd say he's negotiating from a position of strength and his contract demands certainly wouldn't be decreasing. But who knows. I thinks it's ridiculous thefront office didn't do more to protect themselves regarding Ingram and Bradbury..
Isn't it good that they didn't improve at RG?  I mean, don't you WANT the Vikes to lose to help with the rebuild?
No because we are locked in on this "competitive rebuild" bullshit now...so let's be competitive and try to win. I mean, I was told this is a 12 win, Super Bowl-contending roster all offseason so no sense doing some pussyfoot rebuild now 
I don't think anyone in the media predicts a 12 win season with the team going deep into the playoffs, and I don't think you believed it either.  Obviously this off-season was used to get rid of veteran salaries so the new regime can start a rebuild.  While I do enjoy wins, most Longshippers here don't believe this is a SB level team.  It's great to be optimistic, don't get me wrong, but realistically this team isn't there yet.  I'm pretty sure you know that too. 
Personnally I don't want to tank the season, and I'm on board with getting the cap space to get Hock, Hunter, and JJ contracts. 
Oh there were plenty on here saying this team was going to be as good or better this season when I said from the outset this smells like a .500 football team that likely wouldn't make the playoffs. But regardless, we've got one foot in the pond already so let's try to win some games
I predicted 9 wins with a window from 7-11 Smile

I think there were only a vocal few who thought we were a double-digit win team.  

Anyway, bad start.  Let's see if we can build something.  My expectations are fairly low at this point, but I am open to being pleasantly surprised Smile

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Lots of destinations on those boards have nfl teams.

https://twitter.com/Dalton_Risner66/stat...vii8i6OxZg&s=09
Prominently displayed?  I can't even read them.

Quote: @TBro said:
@supafreak84 said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
This. However, if I'm Risner and his Agent, I don't show up without a guarantee for the rest of the season. 
I don't think that is how it works.  As a veteran, if he is on week 1 roster, his salary is guaranteed and I think counts against the cap.  

Quote: @greediron said:
@TBro said:
@supafreak84 said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
I don't think that is how it works.  As a veteran, if he is on week 1 roster, his salary is guaranteed and I think counts against the cap.  
Correct. I'm just saying that if I'm Risner and his agent, I wouldn't agree to go to a team so they can kick the tires and not make a commitment without some sort of guaranteed money. There is certainly risk in that approach, but as injuries and poor line play continues with teams who are vying for a playoff spot, his leverage will stay strong.  

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Lots of destinations on those boards have nfl teams.

https://twitter.com/Dalton_Risner66/stat...vii8i6OxZg&s=09
Prominently displayed?  I can't even read them.
the eyes are the second thing to go old man....