Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
49ers name Darnold #2, pursuing options with Lance
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
I was listening to NFL Radio and they were discussing Lance and the 49ers offense just being a bad fit for him. Shannahans offense is thought to be "QB friendly" but you really need a guy who can diagnose the defense and get the ball out accurately from the pocket. I don't think Lance really gets to utilize his best traits, which are his athleticism, rolling out of the pocket, etc. He needs reps. Played only a handful of games in college, basically sat as a rookie behind Garopollo, injured for the year game one last season, and has essentially been splitting the reps this offseason. Maybe it's simply a case of him needing to play more and be in an offense more tailored to the things he does well. He is still young and the Vikings should consider kicking those tires 
I can see them putting Darnold ahead of Lance for this year,  they are a NFC favorite so you want a veteran back up plan,  but that doesnt explain why they would be moving on from him as the jury is still out on Purdy,  and they could only get better offers if they hung onto him and he did mature a bit,  maybe its a cap space thing,  but even then,  why would anybody take him on if his rookie deal was to much for the team that knows him best?

I am still not seeing an upside of him or the contract.   grab him in FA,  make him part of a package that nets us future picks for Cousins and a player we were going to cut anyway,  but I dont see giving up draft picks for others trash.
I think they are sold on Purdy being "the guy" moving forward. Lynch said he was their starter and had earned it shortly after their season ended. I can't see him doing that if he felt the jury was still out on Purdy or that the injury would hinder him going forward. And it's like I was stating above, Purdy is tailer-made for the Shannahan offense. It's also why Shannahan wanted Mac Jones but was overruled by Lynch. I don't think it was ever a fit that was going to work. 

As for the Vikings, we don't have a plan at QB moving forward so this could be an option 
I dont see it as a viable one though.  We need to focus on a qbotf,  not trying to make somebody else's cast offs work for us.  You got precision route runners,  you need precision passers to take advantage of that,  I never was impressed with Lance's arm in that regards and honestly,  its nothing special to throw hard or long,  its doing those things accurately that is the key to arm talent.

Update from 49ers camp: Lance is not practicing right now, not on the field. Who knows but that's what they usually do when someone is about to be traded. 

Hall was supposedly going to get quite the extended play time on Saturday...If the Vikings were to do something, I doubt it would be prior to that. 

I think Supa hit the nail on the head; do they think Lance has higher ceiling than Hall?  Or not? 

Then of course you have the contract issue that @rf54 pointed out. I think Lance to Vikings is a huge long-shot. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
I was listening to NFL Radio and they were discussing Lance and the 49ers offense just being a bad fit for him. Shannahans offense is thought to be "QB friendly" but you really need a guy who can diagnose the defense and get the ball out accurately from the pocket. I don't think Lance really gets to utilize his best traits, which are his athleticism, rolling out of the pocket, etc. He needs reps. Played only a handful of games in college, basically sat as a rookie behind Garopollo, injured for the year game one last season, and has essentially been splitting the reps this offseason. Maybe it's simply a case of him needing to play more and be in an offense more tailored to the things he does well. He is still young and the Vikings should consider kicking those tires 
I can see them putting Darnold ahead of Lance for this year,  they are a NFC favorite so you want a veteran back up plan,  but that doesnt explain why they would be moving on from him as the jury is still out on Purdy,  and they could only get better offers if they hung onto him and he did mature a bit,  maybe its a cap space thing,  but even then,  why would anybody take him on if his rookie deal was to much for the team that knows him best?

I am still not seeing an upside of him or the contract.   grab him in FA,  make him part of a package that nets us future picks for Cousins and a player we were going to cut anyway,  but I dont see giving up draft picks for others trash.
I think they are sold on Purdy being "the guy" moving forward. Lynch said he was their starter and had earned it shortly after their season ended. I can't see him doing that if he felt the jury was still out on Purdy or that the injury would hinder him going forward. And it's like I was stating above, Purdy is tailer-made for the Shannahan offense. It's also why Shannahan wanted Mac Jones but was overruled by Lynch. I don't think it was ever a fit that was going to work. 

As for the Vikings, we don't have a plan at QB moving forward so this could be an option 
I dont see it as a viable one though.  We need to focus on a qbotf,  not trying to make somebody else's cast offs work for us.  You got precision route runners,  you need precision passers to take advantage of that,  I never was impressed with Lance's arm in that regards and honestly,  its nothing special to throw hard or long,  its doing those things accurately that is the key to arm talent.
My fear is we once again will be juuust good enough to put us out of play when it comes to the draft and getting our QBOTF. To me, it would make sense to protect ourselves and trade for a young, high upside QB maybe just needing a change of scenery, just in case. Then at the least you have a prospect to work with. I wanted the Vikings to jump on Zac Wilson for that very reason. Lance would be a similar option IMO.

Ancient Chinese proverb:  He who picks up the 49er's flaming hot garbage gets his hands burned.

No way should we trade for a guy thats going to make great money the nect 2 years. Not unless SF will eat most his salary. 

Quote: @Chuckf said:
@StickyBun said:
It's official. What a colossally bad trade up they made for Trey Lance. Horrible. Purdy seems to have saved them, but let's not count those chickens yet. 
Yeah you can.  The kid played at a high level consistently for 3 years in the Big 12.   Will he be a Tom Brady?  Who knows but he is worlds above Lance or Darnold at this time.  He is a LOT more athletic than you think, he ran the RPO at ISU at times and was extremely good running the football.
I don't trust anyone after only 1 year. And neither should you. 

[Image: wpid-20150507__150507_MattKalil_vikings_skybox.jpg]

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3824...qb2-battle

Yes, we love Trey so much and believe he'll be a good QB that we have him as our #3 coming into his 3rd year in the NFL, lol. I know, its coach speak and franchise talk, but why even bother? Its such hot air horseshit. If they cut him outright, he'll count over $14 MM as a dead cap hit, yikes. My guess is he'll hang on the roster for 2023. Who's going to trade for him and pick up his contract? NOBODY, not without concessions from the 49ers/Lance. Minnesota has too much young talent to pay to mess around picking up this bust's contract.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:

My fear is we once again will be juuust good enough to put us out of play when it comes to the draft and getting our QBOTF. To me, it would make sense to protect ourselves and trade for a young, high upside QB maybe just needing a change of scenery, just in case. Then at the least you have a prospect to work with. I wanted the Vikings to jump on Zac Wilson for that very reason. Lance would be a similar option IMO.
Me too,  but Lance hasn't shown shit that would justify him being that project,  and he's set to make 9 mill over the next 2 years,  not to mention you still won't have a starting QB most likely.  I would rather see the team take a flyer on a guy coming out or at least another teams cast off that has had more playing time.  With Lance you are still looking at a bridge QB as I doubt 1 season will give you enough insight into him to allow Kirk to walk.

According to one media source, the Vikings are the #1 most likely destination for Lance. I can see why they say that, but it's a fool's errand if you ask me. At various points along the way, you could make an argument that Lance might be worth taking a flyer on. But no longer.

Lance isn't a rookie. This is his 3rd season in the NFL. He's completely healthy, and he's played in the same offense all three years. A team with a million reasons to want him to succeed has just given up on him.

What's more, bringing him to Minnesota basically means giving up on Jaren Hall. I just don't think you can make an argument that Lance has shown more promise than even our 5th round rookie.