@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:
God damn look at those trenches
Zimmerman, McDaniel (best G ever?), Hutch, Mick Doleman, Randle, Eller, Page with players like Allen, Williams, Williams, Thomas (should be in the HOF) not cracking the lineup

Receivers?  Best franchise for receivers as well with studs in every decade
70s White and Gilliam
80s Ahmad Rashad and Anthony Carter
90s Cris Carter and Moss
2000s Moss
2010s Harvin, Diggs, Adam
2020s Jefferson

The Niners would be the only team close with a top 5 WR list of: 
Rice-Owens-Taylor-Deebo-Crabtree vs Moss-Carter-Jefferson-Harvin-Diggs/Adam

This is why we have never had a chance for a franchise QB, every decade we have been lucky to have all time great level players that elevate the team but is not enough to get over the edge
Completely agree with you. The Vikings franchise has been around for 52 years and we have NEVER drafted a quarterback in the top 10. We've only drafted four 1st round quarterbacks in our history; Kramer, Culpepper, Ponder, and Bridgewater. It really is crazy to think about and I'd have to think the probability of something like that happening is minuscule 
What, drafting a QB in the top 10? That changes in '24. Write it down. 
Done deal. Which one are we going with?
Im more concerned with how we get there,  we've got 8 months to figure out the who.
It will have to be a mortgage. Might also include a player. 
thats why I was more willing to move on from KC now than let him play it out and potentially walk.  if we could have flipped him for a day 1 or early day 2 pick,  that would help pay that mortgage, also it would have let to a higher starting spot to deal from which always helps keep that mortgage down if you have a bigger down payment.  I am afraid we will once again be in the low 20s and have to give up a kings ransom to get into that top 5 to get a guy we covet... and if they dont absolutely covet a guy then why make that leap?
They wouldn't. But there are players to covet every year. I counted 8 QBs in the last mock draft I saw (it will more likely be about half that).

Yes, they will pay a king's ransom for it. But they won't be the first team to do that or the last. 

The latest Walter Football mock draft has two quarterbacks going in the first round, although I think Michael Pennix could sneak into the mix at some point. The two guys at the top (Williams and Maye) are universally thought of as top 3 prospects and Williams is thought to be one of those rare Andrew Luck type prospects. Any team holding a winning lottery ticket to draft him probably isn't giving it up for 5 first round picks and the cost for Maye wouldn't be far behind. 

So to me, the Vikings as currently constructed are a mid teens to early 20's drafting team for this upcoming draft. The price tag to move up into the top 3 would be massive if you even had a team willing to talk trade. It's why I tend to agree with Jimmy that if that's the plan, it would have made sense to move off Cousons now, take our lumps this upcoming season, and hopefully be bad enough to be in position to land one of those elite prospects to propel this franchise into the future without having to give up a Hershall Walker-esque package attempting to move up. But that's what you get with a "competitive rebuild." You are competitive enough to not be in position to land one of those elite prospects that this franchise absolutely needs moving forward 

I know you guys love the idea of trading Cousins and taking a year off. As a fan, there are no consequences. I can assure you teams don't think that way. Especially teams as talented as this one. 
I know the team doesn't think like that, but again if we are not real contenders (which most don't believe us to be), then would it not be more advantageous to move Cousins (if hes not in our long term plans anways), take a lump year, then paying the massive cost of having to move up into the top 5 to grab our QBOTF? 

The closest comp we have for a move up somewhat similar is the 49ers moving from 12 to 3 for Trey Lance. That cost was three 1st round picks. How much do you think it would cost to move up from say 20 to 3 for Drake Maye? It would be massive and I would not want to see us get saddled into that position moving forward all to keep Cousins for one more season where we aren't a Super Bowl favorite. Not worth it. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:
Zimmerman, McDaniel (best G ever?), Hutch, Mick Doleman, Randle, Eller, Page with players like Allen, Williams, Williams, Thomas (should be in the HOF) not cracking the lineup

70s White and Gilliam
90s Cris Carter and Moss
2000s Moss
2020s Jefferson

This is why we have never had a chance for a franchise QB, every decade we have been lucky to have all time great level players that elevate the team but is not enough to get over the edge
Completely agree with you. The Vikings franchise has been around for 52 years and we have NEVER drafted a quarterback in the top 10. We've only drafted four 1st round quarterbacks in our history; Kramer, Culpepper, Ponder, and Bridgewater. It really is crazy to think about and I'd have to think the probability of something like that happening is minuscule 
Im more concerned with how we get there,  we've got 8 months to figure out the who.
thats why I was more willing to move on from KC now than let him play it out and potentially walk.  if we could have flipped him for a day 1 or early day 2 pick,  that would help pay that mortgage, also it would have let to a higher starting spot to deal from which always helps keep that mortgage down if you have a bigger down payment.  I am afraid we will once again be in the low 20s and have to give up a kings ransom to get into that top 5 to get a guy we covet... and if they dont absolutely covet a guy then why make that leap?
They wouldn't. But there are players to covet every year. I counted 8 QBs in the last mock draft I saw (it will more likely be about half that).

Yes, they will pay a king's ransom for it. But they won't be the first team to do that or the last. 

The latest Walter Football mock draft has two quarterbacks going in the first round, although I think Michael Pennix could sneak into the mix at some point. The two guys at the top (Williams and Maye) are universally thought of as top 3 prospects and Williams is thought to be one of those rare Andrew Luck type prospects. Any team holding a winning lottery ticket to draft him probably isn't giving it up for 5 first round picks and the cost for Maye wouldn't be far behind. 

So to me, the Vikings as currently constructed are a mid teens to early 20's drafting team for this upcoming draft. The price tag to move up into the top 3 would be massive if you even had a team willing to talk trade. It's why I tend to agree with Jimmy that if that's the plan, it would have made sense to move off Cousons now, take our lumps this upcoming season, and hopefully be bad enough to be in position to land one of those elite prospects to propel this franchise into the future without having to give up a Hershall Walker-esque package attempting to move up. But that's what you get with a "competitive rebuild." You are competitive enough to not be in position to land one of those elite prospects that this franchise absolutely needs moving forward 

I know you guys love the idea of trading Cousins and taking a year off. As a fan, there are no consequences. I can assure you teams don't think that way. Especially teams as talented as this one. 
I know the team doesn't think like that, but again if we are not real contenders (which most don't believe us to be), then would it not be more advantageous to move Cousins (if hes not in our long term plans anways), take a lump year, then paying the massive cost of having to move up into the top 5 to grab our QBOTF? 

The closest comp we have for a move up somewhat similar is the 49ers moving from 12 to 3 for Trey Lance. That cost was three 1st round picks. How much do you think it would cost to move up from say 20 to 3 for Drake Maye? It would be massive and I would not want to see us get saddled into that position moving forward all to keep Cousins for one more season where we aren't a Super Bowl favorite. Not worth it. 
It would likely include a player. It might even include Justin Jefferson, though I think that would be very unlikely. And stupid. More likely a player like Hunter or O'Neill. Also, keep in mind that I've never believed in the idea that only four or five teams are "legit" contenders. I think half the league is. And we're certainly in that group. If we pick at 20 we're a playoff team. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:

70s White and Gilliam
90s Cris Carter and Moss
2000s Moss
2020s Jefferson

It would likely include a player. It might even include Justin Jefferson, though I think that would be very unlikely. And stupid. More likely a player like Hunter or O'Neill. Also, keep in mind that I've never believed in the idea that only four or five teams are "legit" contenders. I think half the league is. And we're certainly in that group. If we pick at 20 we're a playoff team. 

Damn near half the league is a playoff team,   but that doesn't mean you are a legit contender for a superbowl,  it means you have a chance.... kinda like I have a chance to be 750 million dollars richer by bed time tonight.  

@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:

70s White and Gilliam
90s Cris Carter and Moss
2000s Moss
2020s Jefferson

Hunter might not be an option as we are still figuring out what we are doing with him and his holdout this offseason and might trade him now. Unless we are talking about a young star, and I count us as having two (JJ and Darrisaw), I don't think another team would want anybody else on our roster in lew of a 1st round or high draft pick..

I think we were solidly behind Philly, Dallas, SF, and the Giants (obviously) last year in the conference. I don't think any of those teams got worse and I think a Cook-less Vikings team is much less potent. Seattle and the Lions have both gotten better. There are probably half a dozen teams in the AFC with better rosters. I just don't believe in the "competitive rebuild" model unless you already have a franchise QB in the fold and think we are wasting more years just being "good" without a real contingency plan to make us elite.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:

70s White and Gilliam
90s Cris Carter and Moss
2000s Moss
2020s Jefferson

Damn near half the league is a playoff team,   but that doesn't mean you are a legit contender for a superbowl,  

Yeah, I think it does actually. While about half of the Super Bowls won in the last 15-20 years have been won by dominant teams, the other half were won by a team who just got hot and healthy at the right time. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:

70s White and Gilliam
90s Cris Carter and Moss
2000s Moss
2020s Jefferson

Damn near half the league is a playoff team,   but that doesn't mean you are a legit contender for a superbowl,  

Yeah, I think it does actually. While about half of the Super Bowls won in the last 15-20 years have been won by dominant teams, the other half were won by a team who just got hot and healthy at the right time. 
This is especially true (and hard to predict) for the post-season. I think its underrated by a lot of fans.

Kinda like route running skills in a WR vs their 40 time. 

After being a fan for so many years, I feel like I can get a bead on most Viking teams. I think this years offense is going to be better (and a blast to watch). 

If the D can move to middle of the pack? That is going to make this a really good NFC team - one I would rate over any other NFC club with the exception of Philly or SF. 

And on any given day????

Put another way, I think there is legit reason for expecting a playoff run this year, w/out being a homer. 

[Image: wf01purplea-110518.jpg]

Hunter might not be an option as we are still figuring out what we are doing with him and his holdout this offseason and might trade him now. Unless we are talking about a young star, and I count us as having two (JJ and Darrisaw), I don't think another team would want anybody else on our roster in lew of a 1st round or high draft pick..

I think we were solidly behind Philly, Dallas, SF, and the Giants (obviously) last year in the conference. I don't think any of those teams got worse and I think a Cook-less Vikings team is much less potent. Seattle and the Lions have both gotten better. There are probably half a dozen teams in the AFC with better rosters. I just don't believe in the "competitive rebuild" model unless you already have a franchise QB in the fold and think we are wasting more years just being "good" without a real contingency plan to make us elite.
Just depends on the defense. I expect the offense to be quite a bit better going into its 2nd season. Even without Cook. The defense is the big unknown due to all the youth, the new scheme and uncertainty surrounding Hunter. But if Flores can bump that unit into the teens, then the Vikings will do well. 

What's all this about Seattle? Is it just because they drafted JSN? Yeah, that trio of receivers looks scary, but is that all people pay attention to? They still have a horrible offensive line, one of the worst in the NFL. And what about Geno Smith? Has he ever put together two good years in a row? 

The Lions roster has a bright future. If all those new, young faces can gel in one season, they could take the division from us. But I find it amusing that so many Viking fans who doubt the 31st ranked defense with a new DC can improve at all....sure seem convinced the 32nd ranked defense will improve with the same DC. 

@supafreak84 said:

Just depends on the defense. I expect the offense to be quite a bit better going into its 2nd season. Even without Cook. The defense is the big unknown due to all the youth, the new scheme and uncertainty surrounding Hunter. But if Flores can bump that unit into the teens, then the Vikings will do well. 

What's all this about Seattle? Is it just because they drafted JSN? Yeah, that trio of receivers looks scary, but is that all people pay attention to? They still have a horrible offensive line, one of the worst in the NFL. And what about Geno Smith? Has he ever put together two good years in a row? 

The Lions roster has a bright future. If all those new, young faces can gel in one season, they could take the division from us. But I find it amusing that so many Viking fans who doubt the 31st ranked defense with a new DC can improve at all....sure seem convinced the 32nd ranked defense will improve with the same DC. 
I've heard a lot of people "in the know" on NFL Radio picking the Seahawks to win their division this year over San Francisco. It's not just the trio of receivers, but the combination of their terrific draft class last season (bookend tackles, Kenneth Walker, Tariq Woolen) combined with what they've added this offseason and the momentum they built last season. Shane Waldren returns as their OC and that's going to go a long ways in keeping Geno Smith on track. The one glaring area of weakness I see for them is pass rusher, which is why I mentioned them as a prime destination as a trade partner if the Vikings dealt Hunter. Oh and they get Jamal Adams and Bobby Wagner back...

On the Lions, we know that offense is good and they can score, but they've actually added impact pieces to their defense that would lead you to believe they should be better. Jack Campbell, Cam Sutton, CJ Gardner-Johnson, Emanuel Mosley. The Vikings are just hoping a bunch of young, unproven guys step up and fill roles in yet another new scheme. If we trade Hunter we are in trouble..

Nice list. I would diverge on the QB and 2 of the linebackers. Tarkenton, Studwell and Siemon over Henderson and Greenway (yeah I know that's 2 MLB). I would also give strong consideration to Ed McDaniel, as well as the woefully underappreciated Jim Marshall in Doleman's spot. Would agree with the balance.

@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

I've heard a lot of people "in the know" on NFL Radio picking the Seahawks to win their division this year over San Francisco. It's not just the trio of receivers, but the combination of their terrific draft class last season (bookend tackles, Kenneth Walker, Tariq Woolen) combined with what they've added this offseason and the momentum they built last season. Shane Waldren returns as their OC and that's going to go a long ways in keeping Geno Smith on track. The one glaring area of weakness I see for them is pass rusher, which is why I mentioned them as a prime destination as a trade partner if the Vikings dealt Hunter. Oh and they get Jamal Adams and Bobby Wagner back...

On the Lions, we know that offense is good and they can score, but they've actually added impact pieces to their defense that would lead you to believe they should be better. Jack Campbell, Cam Sutton, CJ Gardner-Johnson, Emanuel Mosley. The Vikings are just hoping a bunch of young, unproven guys step up and fill roles in yet another new scheme. If we trade Hunter we are in trouble..
There is no one "in the know" when it comes to predicting the season. For example, two years ago the Jets ranked dead last in defense. I doubt anyone predicted they would rank 4th last year. It's not 1975 anymore. Teams change and evolve very quickly now. In 2019, the Bucs finished 7-9. The next year they won the Super Bowl. That year, the Bengals finished 4-11, the next year they were AFC champs. 

I don't expect the Vikings' defense to improve from bottom to top in one year like the Jets did. But they don't need to. I agree with your last sentence though.