Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Time Vikings Team
Just curious to hear some different opinions and the EJ Henderson thread got me thinking about this. Who is your all-time Vikings starting lineup? It really is absolutely amazing some of the all time great players we've had with no Super Bowl victories. The one huge glaring omission is we've never had an elite franchise QB. Closest we've ever gotten was Culpepper prior to injury. Anyways if I had to lineup one team, for one season, this would be it.. 

QB- Brett Favre, and I say this based only on his one season (2009) and it being the only time Ive EVER felt we've had an elite quarterback. Fran has all the franchise stats but Favre is universally considered the better quarterback. Culpepper is the only other option but I never felt he was on the level of Favre, even into his 40's. I have no doubt we would have won the Super Bowl in 2009 if it wasn't for the Saints essentially putting a bounty on Favre and trying to injure him. Controversial based on only two seasons in Minnesota but 2009 was the greatest ride I've ever experienced as a fan in large part due to Brett Favre..

RB- Adrian Peterson
WR- Randy Moss
WR- Cris Carter
WR- Justin Jefferson
TE- Steve Jordan
LT- Gary Zimmerman
LG- Randall McDaniel
C- Mick Tingelhoff
RG- Steve Hutchinson
RT- Ron Yary 

DE- Carl Eller
DT- John Randle
DT- Alan Page
DE- Chris Doleman 
LB- Matt Blair
LB- EJ Henderson
LB- Chad Greenway
CB- Carl Lee
CB- Antoine Wifield
S- Joey Browner
S- Paul Krause 

I'm not going to get into kickers as that's too painful a topic. On the defensive lineman, that was incredibly rough picking just four and the strength of this football team over the years has clearly been the defensive line and we've reinvented that unit into three of the most dominant units in the history of the league from the Purple People Eaters, to that 80's unit, to the Williams Wall and Jared Allen destroying the league. Just look at the players left off; Jim Marshall, Keith Millard, Henry Thomas, Doug Martin, Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Jared Allen, and the list goes on. Again, it brings me a lot of pain seeing this franchise transition to a 3-4 relying on tricky blitz packages and our best pass rushers dropping into coverage. Also tough leaving Harrison Smith off my list.

I was born the last year the Vikings played in a Super Bowl and while I never saw some of these guys play, I recognize them for their greatness and what they meant to the franchise. Would love to hear from some of the older posters on this topic. Anybody have anything different? 

God damn look at those trenches
Zimmerman, McDaniel (best G ever?), Hutch, Mick Doleman, Randle, Eller, Page with players like Allen, Williams, Williams, Thomas (should be in the HOF) not cracking the lineup

Receivers?  Best franchise for receivers as well with studs in every decade
70s White and Gilliam
80s Ahmad Rashad and Anthony Carter
90s Cris Carter and Moss
2000s Moss
2010s Harvin, Diggs, Adam
2020s Jefferson

The Niners would be the only team close with a top 5 WR list of: 
Rice-Owens-Taylor-Deebo-Crabtree vs Moss-Carter-Jefferson-Harvin-Diggs/Adam

This is why we have never had a chance for a franchise QB, every decade we have been lucky to have all time great level players that elevate the team but is not enough to get over the edge

At QB Warren Moon was very good also but I would go with Tarkenton.

Quote: @Skodin said:
Zimmerman, McDaniel (best G ever?), Hutch, Mick Doleman, Randle, Eller, Page with players like Allen, Williams, Williams, Thomas (should be in the HOF) not cracking the lineup

70s White and Gilliam
90s Cris Carter and Moss
2000s Moss
2020s Jefferson

This is why we have never had a chance for a franchise QB, every decade we have been lucky to have all time great level players that elevate the team but is not enough to get over the edge
Completely agree with you. The Vikings franchise has been around for 52 years and we have NEVER drafted a quarterback in the top 10. We've only drafted four 1st round quarterbacks in our history; Kramer, Culpepper, Ponder, and Bridgewater. It really is crazy to think about and I'd have to think the probability of something like that happening is minuscule 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:

70s White and Gilliam
90s Cris Carter and Moss
2000s Moss
2020s Jefferson

Completely agree with you. The Vikings franchise has been around for 52 years and we have NEVER drafted a quarterback in the top 10. We've only drafted four 1st round quarterbacks in our history; Kramer, Culpepper, Ponder, and Bridgewater. It really is crazy to think about and I'd have to think the probability of something like that happening is minuscule 
What, drafting a QB in the top 10? That changes in '24. Write it down. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:

70s White and Gilliam
90s Cris Carter and Moss
2000s Moss
2020s Jefferson

Done deal. Which one are we going with?

@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:

70s White and Gilliam
90s Cris Carter and Moss
2000s Moss
2020s Jefferson

Im more concerned with how we get there,  we've got 8 months to figure out the who.

@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:

70s White and Gilliam
90s Cris Carter and Moss
2000s Moss
2020s Jefferson

No clue. Even if had a specific target this early (which we wouldn't), it would likely change by the time the draft rolls around. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:

70s White and Gilliam
90s Cris Carter and Moss
2000s Moss
2020s Jefferson

Im more concerned with how we get there,  we've got 8 months to figure out the who.
It will have to be a mortgage. Might also include a player. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Skodin said:

70s White and Gilliam
90s Cris Carter and Moss
2000s Moss
2020s Jefferson

It will have to be a mortgage. Might also include a player. 
thats why I was more willing to move on from KC now than let him play it out and potentially walk.  if we could have flipped him for a day 1 or early day 2 pick,  that would help pay that mortgage, also it would have let to a higher starting spot to deal from which always helps keep that mortgage down if you have a bigger down payment.  I am afraid we will once again be in the low 20s and have to give up a kings ransom to get into that top 5 to get a guy we covet... and if they dont absolutely covet a guy then why make that leap?