Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone started using Threads?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Sounds about as good for your physical and mental health as drinking, smoking and twitter. 
I'd put tiktok, snapchat, facebook and instagram in that category. Those are just an opportunity for folks to submit to the world the person they want to be. But it's a false reality. What it does to teenage girls is heartbreaking. 

But I think most people just use Twitter as quick news. That's all I use it for. I read it every day, but in the 4 years I've had an account, I think I can count my posts on one hand. 
I don't use IG, Twitter, Tiktok, Threads or Snapchat.  I do use FB as I find it very useful for certain community information.  As many of you know, I am very involved in the autism community and I have a lot of FB friends in that community.  This way, I stay in touch with what out spectrum parents are doing.  Really, the more a social network can be personalized for a person, the more utility it has.

The paradox is the more utility it has in reflecting a person's interest and connecting that person to people of shared interests is that it can be a breeding place for negative societal effects -- for instance, if one believes in nazism (hopefully, we can all agree that has negative societal affects), social networks allow such people to connect with one another forming an echo chamber.  I think social networks biggest challenge is balancing the positive while limiting the negative and where to draw such line. 

I just downloaded it and will check it out. Any of these tools can be used positively or negatively. There is a veteran from Minnesota on Tiktok and he uses his platform to assist veterans in need get access to resources and equipment. Some people use their platforms to help their businesses. There are great art and music communities which I absolutely love. Some of these platforms are outlets for expression. There are fundraisers that help provide medical care for those in need. I absolutely love the opportunities to see information and resources from various cultures and languages. I agree with you VikingOracle, personalization is important. I do my best to filter out the negative things and the bullshit on any platform. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
I just downloaded it and will check it out. Any of these tools can be used positively or negatively. There is a veteran from Minnesota on Tiktok and he uses his platform to assist veterans in need get access to resources and equipment. Some people use their platforms to help their businesses. There are great art and music communities which I absolutely love. Some of these platforms are outlets for expression. There are fundraisers that help provide medical care for those in need. I absolutely love the opportunities to see information and resources from various cultures and languages. I agree with you VikingOracle, personalization is important. I do my best to filter out the negative things and the bullshit on any platform. 
No, they decide what they don’t want to be known and filter it for you.

well apparently Threads wants to be what Twitter was before it was cleaned up by Elon.

[Image: threads-removed-post-community-guideli8n...C720&ssl=1]

so,  apparently news isnt allowed.

[Image: threads-following-donald-trump-jr.jpg?re...C676&ssl=1]

[Image: threads-expose-bidens-corrupt-government...C669&ssl=1]

and you cant think for yourself without being questioned,  but at least they are transparent about the bias.  I would be curious if somebody tried following some of those from the other side of the coin who play fast and loose with the truth if they are warned about their reliability?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
well apparently Threads wants to be what Twitter was before it was cleaned up by Elon.

[Image: threads-expose-bidens-corrupt-government...C669&ssl=1]

and you cant think for yourself without being questioned,  but at least they are transparent about the bias.  I would be curious if somebody tried following some of those from the other side of the coin who play fast and loose with the truth if they are warned about their reliability?
Lies are poison to democracy, no matter who is telling them. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Sounds about as good for your physical and mental health as drinking, smoking and twitter. 
I'd put tiktok, snapchat, facebook and instagram in that category. Those are just an opportunity for folks to submit to the world the person they want to be. But it's a false reality. What it does to teenage girls is heartbreaking. 

But I think most people just use Twitter as quick news. That's all I use it for. I read it every day, but in the 4 years I've had an account, I think I can count my posts on one hand. 
Indeed.  Very true.

As to twitter and news, that is the big draw, but I think it also sucks so many into the cesspool of comments.  I can't imagine why people would want to argue on the internet all day.  /self-depricating sarcasm

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@JimmyinSD said:

What makes you think “Lies are poison to democracy”?  I think if you were to say something like
that, the next logical solution is that “We need to stop the liars from lying,
so we’re going to make a Ministry of Truth which if not corrupted will let us
know who’s lying, but which in actuality will be run by the liars, because we
all know politicians are habitual liars, and it will actually prevent the truth-tellers
from telling the truth, rather than the liars from lying.

For me, I just don’t think you can outsource truth-seeking
into one singular group, because even if you start out with a perfect
trustworthy group, it’s not that hard to corrupt them.  You can take away their livelihood.  You can threaten their families.  You can offer them a ton of money.  There’s just so many options for them to fall
from grace.

I don’t think that “Lies are the poison to democracy” as
much as they are an inherent part of it, and more than anything, It’s not the
lie that’s the problem, it’s the actions that are the problem.  If we had a functioning media, they would
highlight the corruption and we would vote out the bad actors.  I think one tenant keeps coming up and that
has to do with Centralizing Power.  Centralizing
power makes systems easily corruptible.  So
while I don’t think it’s possible for Meta, to in good faith, act as a singular
Ministry of Truth, I do think there’s room for an ecosystem where many separate
organizations all act to highlight the truth because those that act in bad
faith are repeatedly shown for who they are and lose credibility in the market,
and I think that this pressure can provide us with the effect we’re looking
for.

I also think we have to be much more cognizant, not of lies,
but of missed opportunities to tell important facts.  If liberal rags are missing key facts that
conservatives are bringing up, and vice versa, somehow that has to be made
visible to us.

Quote: @medaille said:
@Bullazin said:
@JimmyinSD said:

What makes you think “Lies are poison to democracy”?  I think if you were to say something like
that, the next logical solution is that “We need to stop the liars from lying,
so we’re going to make a Ministry of Truth which if not corrupted will let us
know who’s lying, but which in actuality will be run by the liars, because we
all know politicians are habitual liars, and it will actually prevent the truth-tellers
from telling the truth, rather than the liars from lying.

For me, I just don’t think you can outsource truth-seeking
into one singular group, because even if you start out with a perfect
trustworthy group, it’s not that hard to corrupt them.  You can take away their livelihood.  You can threaten their families.  You can offer them a ton of money.  There’s just so many options for them to fall
from grace.

I don’t think that “Lies are the poison to democracy” as
much as they are an inherent part of it, and more than anything, It’s not the
lie that’s the problem, it’s the actions that are the problem.  If we had a functioning media, they would
highlight the corruption and we would vote out the bad actors.  I think one tenant keeps coming up and that
has to do with Centralizing Power.  Centralizing
power makes systems easily corruptible.  So
while I don’t think it’s possible for Meta, to in good faith, act as a singular
Ministry of Truth, I do think there’s room for an ecosystem where many separate
organizations all act to highlight the truth because those that act in bad
faith are repeatedly shown for who they are and lose credibility in the market,
and I think that this pressure can provide us with the effect we’re looking
for.

I also think we have to be much more cognizant, not of lies,
but of missed opportunities to tell important facts.  If liberal rags are missing key facts that
conservatives are bringing up, and vice versa, somehow that has to be made
visible to us.

they are brought up all the time... and then the sources are summarily dismissed.  IMO we are living in a scary time where there isnt a single news source out there that has proven to be above reproach.  they all seem to be shills for some special interest and non of those interest seem to be interested in a non slanted story.  the internet was going to be a savior as it was going to make the truth available to everybody,  but there is more mistruths posted on the internet than anywhere,  even things that are set up to expose lies have been grossly corrupted.  so sad.

Threads surpassed 100 million users this weekend, less than a week after it launched, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced Monday, marking a staggering feat for any social network and one that puts it on pace to rapidly pass Twitter’s audience size. 

Cmon, is anybody surprised by this in the least?  If people don't see that this is an unholy alliance between the media and the Democrats, they're just lying to themselves.  This is the libtards dream to rule in perpetuity and run this country into the ground while enriching themselves.  And they're having the people that are too stupid to question things do most of their work for them.