Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Good Can The Front 7 Be Without Floyd
Our DT depth is so much better this year with Jaleel and Datone brought in.  If the light has gone on for Robinson, look out, because he's got the athleticism Greenway no longer did.

I'm looking forward to what Jones can bring... Zim might get him some looks at DE as well..1 sack last year, but he lead GB in pressures... Weatherly is also intriguing... He might be on the field when Griffen kicks inside...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I'm looking forward to what Jones can bring... Zim might get him some looks at DE as well..1 sack last year, but he lead GB in pressures... Weatherly is also intriguing... He might be on the field when Griffen kicks inside...
I think Weatherly is going to win that 4th DE spot.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I think Weatherly is going to win that 4th DE spot.

Weatherly is intriguing: big kid, 6'5", 270 lbs. Long frame that teams love at DE. Bubble butt for lower end power. He's got an NFL frame, seems like an ideal RDE candidate. Not sure if he'll break through or not, big year to make a very talented DL roster on Minnesota.

One of those guys that the Vikings might be forced to cut reluctantly, gets signed by New England and becomes a player. 

2013. Our defense gave up 1767 rushing yards.

2014. Our defense gave up 1943 rushing yards.

2015. Our defense gave up 1748 rushing yards.

2016. Our defense gave up 1711 rushing yards.

I looked these up, because I think he's overrated. He was a disruptive pass rusher at the peak of his game, and got lost at the line in run defense at his worst. Our run defense was becoming a gouging issue while he was hurt, and we looked forward to his return to bolster the unit. But I think he's been inconsistent against the run his whole career. He'll flash penetration and disruptive ability once, then Eddie Lacy picks food from the buffet while going through his lane the next play.

His performance, overall (good and bad together), was replicated and arguably topped by rotating Stephen and Johnson in there. Neither guy brings the level of ability to the line that Floyd does, but they do bring some serious consistency that Floyd needs to find.

I'm intrigued by Shamar Stephen coming of 16 games starting. Not only did we put up our best statistical rushing defense in 3 seasons on the field last year, we were 3rd in the league in pass defense at 3,327 passing yards against. The rushing defense wasn't gifted 1,711 rushing yards because teams were throwing all over us. It seems to me, with Stephen out there, things are headed in the right direction.

Patterson stated that he sees Weatherly playing like 30 snaps per game as a rotational DE this season.