Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bryce Young not Happy
My take when I watched all-play vids from his Alabama games was that he has a really good processor and decent arm talent.  He's the best in this class above the neck.

The problem I saw was that his athleticism and ability to scramble are nowhere near that of undersized guys who've succeeded at NFL quarterback--e.g. Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray, maybe Doug Flutie.  It's hard to come up with a lot of names.  

When you are that small you have to bring that element to your game.  A tiny man getting crushed in the pocket by 300 lb linemen on a regular basis is going to struggle, presuming he doesn't just succumb to injuries.  I just don't see it working out.  Maybe if the Panthers build the best oline in football in front of him he could succeed.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1657451249854214146?s=20
Ok, but this means nothing. Its May. Time will tell with all of these guys.

My only comment is that Young is really small. I have no idea how any of these guys will do, but highlights from May OTAs is what really? Next to nothing?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1657451249854214146?s=20
I really wanted us to take a chance on this guy.   Oh well, I guess we're still Super Competitive.   Sigh. :/

Quote: @comet52 said:
My take when I watched all-play vids from his Alabama games was that he has a really good processor and decent arm talent.  He's the best in this class above the neck.

The problem I saw was that his athleticism and ability to scramble are nowhere near that of undersized guys who've succeeded at NFL quarterback--e.g. Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray, maybe Doug Flutie.  It's hard to come up with a lot of names.  

When you are that small you have to bring that element to your game.  A tiny man getting crushed in the pocket by 300 lb linemen on a regular basis is going to struggle, presuming he doesn't just succumb to injuries.  I just don't see it working out.  Maybe if the Panthers build the best oline in football in front of him he could succeed.
Brees and Wilson were uber dependent on a great O-line opening throwing lanes.  Wilson also made plays with his ability to get out of the pocket and keep his eyes downfield.  But if you can't hit that slant, the defense has an extra defender or two on the field.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Ok, but this means nothing. Its May. Time will tell with all of these guys.

My only comment is that Young is really small. I have no idea how any of these guys will do, but highlights from May OTAs is what really? Next to nothing?
7 on 7 highlight reels.  Those are the stuff the HOF is filled with.