Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bradbury returning
Quote: @Mattyman said:
We weren't at the bottom by a long shot.  We ended up in the bottom 10 in sacks allowed.  But IMO much of that was because we couldn't or wouldn't get a run game going.  We ended up being very one dimensional.  So improve the run game and our offense is rather unstoppable.  We were also the #7th ranked offense.  So despite being #8 in sacks allowed, our offense flourished.
https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/c...acked/DESC

Cousins was sacked 46 times which  tied him for 3rd most in the NFL.

This shows 8th

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-sa...22-by-team

I am going by team.  Individually isn't fair since other teams often have to use backups.

Guess you can't replace everyone when the piggy bank is light! Have to say the price is right. Hopefully he is gaining some strength this off season.

With Bradbury's return, the Vikings will return the same starting five OL for the first time in a decade. That line was Matt Kalil, Charlie Johnson, John Sullivan, Brandon Fusco and Phil Loadholt. 

Signing Bradbury to Viking fans

[Image: Kids-and-cough-syrup-HN1290-iStock-51222...=85&w=1396]

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
lemme see if i get this straight....so our highest paid players biggest job is to throw the ball, his biggest hindrance to date has been his centers inability to stop people from hitting said ball thrower when ball thrower is attempting to throw said ball... so instead of eliminating the biggest hindrance to the previously mentioned highest paid players ability to perform his primary task,  the team is keeping the obstacle in place and thus limiting the ability of the highest paid player to perform to his paid level.

makes sense now that our big FA add to date has been a run blocking TE.

Did you have any recommendations?  The two centers ahead of him weren't by much. We're only really going to replace him soon by drafting a center and I'd argue that we have tremendously higher priorities. 

I do get the sentiment though. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:
lemme see if i get this straight....so our highest paid players biggest job is to throw the ball, his biggest hindrance to date has been his centers inability to stop people from hitting said ball thrower when ball thrower is attempting to throw said ball... so instead of eliminating the biggest hindrance to the previously mentioned highest paid players ability to perform his primary task,  the team is keeping the obstacle in place and thus limiting the ability of the highest paid player to perform to his paid level.

Did you have any recommendations?  The two centers ahead of him weren't by much. We're only really going to replace him soon by drafting a center and I'd argue that we have tremendously higher priorities. 

use the money you spent on him to address one of those other priorities, find one of our bigger bodies already on the roster and teach them to play center,  look at FA for other potential larger bodied replacements,  or just spend the draft capital on one.  running him back out there again does what to fix the O?  even if somebody else is  a step back at blocking at the second level,  what do we really lose?  sure they may not pop the 1 or 2 bigger runs per game,  but if we can get some push in the middle,  we dont get stuffed on 3 or 4 short yardage situations per game resulting in turning the ball over and that keeps the rebuilding D off the field.  Our O was ranked decently last year,  but they left a lot to be desired for long stretches of the games that did the D not damn favors too.  IMO Bradburys lack of anchor and drive were a big part of our O's struggles at times.  At some point you need to be able to line up and win the LOS,  even when the other team knows its coming,  I had zero confidence that our IOL could provide that last year and it was primary because of GBs inablity to play with any power.

@AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:

use the money you spent on him to address one of those other priorities, find one of our bigger bodies already on the roster and teach them to play center,  look at FA for other potential larger bodied replacements,  or just spend the draft capital on one.  running him back out there again does what to fix the O?  even if somebody else is  a step back at blocking at the second level,  what do we really lose?  sure they may not pop the 1 or 2 bigger runs per game,  but if we can get some push in the middle,  we dont get stuffed on 3 or 4 short yardage situations per game resulting in turning the ball over and that keeps the rebuilding D off the field.  Our O was ranked decently last year,  but they left a lot to be desired for long stretches of the games that did the D not damn favors too.  IMO Bradburys lack of anchor and drive were a big part of our O's struggles at times.  At some point you need to be able to line up and win the LOS,  even when the other team knows its coming,  I had zero confidence that our IOL could provide that last year and it was primary because of GBs inablity to play with any power.
They had a guy that fit that in Kyle Hinton who I think they tried last year in OTA's to play center but now he is gone.  How many times did they line up in 3rd or 4th and short and we all knew they would try to run up the middle only to get stuffed for no gain behind Bradbury. Yet it seems like every other team in the league has no problem lining up and getting 2 or 3 yards up the middle.  Now that he is resigned he should be at TCO weight training.

Quote: @Greylock said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:

They had a guy that fit that in Kyle Hinton who I think they tried last year in OTA's to play center but now he is gone.  How many times did they line up in 3rd or 4th and short and we all knew they would try to run up the middle only to get stuffed for no gain behind Bradbury. Yet it seems like every other team in the league has no problem lining up and getting 2 or 3 yards up the middle.  Now that he is resigned he should be at TCO weight training.
I cant remember if it was Reed or who,  but one of those guys that filled in for Bradbury didnt look to bad after their first game,  we were holding the middle in pass pro and getting push in the run game IIRC.

@AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:

If only life were that simple.  Harrison Phillips, get over here.  You are a big guy.  How hard could it be?

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:

If only life were that simple.  Harrison Phillips, get over here.  You are a big guy.  How hard could it be?
speaking of simple... nice reply.   of course I meant IOL, you know its not impossible for OGs to play C, right?