Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agent grades
Quote: @Kentis said:
You bored Minny?  B) 
Nice to see outside the bubble reviews/grades.  I already know where the handful of posters stand as soon as a transactions happens Smile

I wasn't expecting big splashy signings, just some serviceable dudes. Maybe they are more active in the 2nd wave. I also know that they will have more money to play around with next year 

Since 2018, Davenport ranks 4th in pressures and DCs always say they care more about pressures than sacks. Can he stay healthy? I don't know but that's why you're getting him for $13M instead of $25M. I think the Vikings now have the three biggest bargain edges in the NFL (though I don't expect Z to stay and the Vikings will give a big bag to Hunter at some point this year). But what if they throw a bone to Z and somehow keep him? That's a nasty rotation. 

But I have to be honest, I'm actually more excited about the blocking tight end that everyone hates. 

I think they’re being a bit hard on Davenport. He had 34 pressures last year with 26 hurries. Obviously he’s active, so why aren’t the sacks following? If the Vikings believe they can fox whatever that issue is, this is a great signing. When I see those kind of numbers, I immediately want to see how he’s finishing as well as how the scheme is porentiwlly impacting the sack numbers. 
I looked up his PFF scores and they really like him. It’s one source of course, but I like how they cut through hype and at least try to process every play. Pass rush and run stop both rated what I would consider “very good”. 
His 2021 ratings were elite, so that tells me, he a guy that can get there with the right opportunity. Hopefully he really brings it this year. The talent is certainly proven to be there. 

On Josh Oliver, I think sticker shock (definitely was for me) may be playing a big part in how he’s viewed. I’m not sure of all the details of the contract, but his cap hit is only $3.5 million. So it appears to be a team friendly deal with a lot of performance incentives. This seriously changes how I view he signing. 

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
On Josh Oliver, I think sticker shock (definitely was for me) may be playing a big part in how he’s viewed. I’m not sure of all the details of the contract, but his cap hit is only $3.5 million. So it appears to be a team friendly deal with a lot of performance incentives. This seriously changes how I view he signing. 
I struggle with it still.

If we cut him after one year, we pay him 8.25M.  If we cut him after 2 it's 13M.  unless there's some hidden way the money disappears, we're paying #1 TE money to a more #2 type guy.  Hope he crushes it though.

Quote: @medaille said:
@Havoc1649 said:
I struggle with it still.

If we cut him after one year, we pay him 8.25M.  If we cut him after 2 it's 13M.  unless there's some hidden way the money disappears, we're paying #1 TE money to a more #2 type guy.  Hope he crushes it though.
Oliver got the same contract as Tyler Conklin with the Jets. So you're right, TE1 money, but well down the list.

Vikings signed him minutes after free agency started, so he was clearly a specific target they didn't want to miss out on, and likely paid a premium. But I love the idea of him next to Darrisaw. Should also improve pass pro. 

This is a big, strong kid. Just 25 years old. They obviously have plans for the offense and the way to attack. Hock and Oliver both 6'5" and long wingspans. Going to create some problems and of course, Oliver's obvious pass/run blocking is off the chart. 

He was an athletic, pass catching TE in college & has 10.75” hands (same as Rudolph).
I think he can be more than just an outstanding blocker, & the team probably does too…

Quote: @Kentis said:
He was an athletic, pass catching TE in college & has 10.75” hands (same as Rudolph).
I think he can be more than just an outstanding blocker, & the team probably does too…
Interesting. I never even thought to look, but you're right. His draft profile raves about his pass catching but that he needed to work on his blocking. Couple years in Baltimore apparently did him good. They always seem to have good blocking TEs.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/josh-olive...a3fa93d63f