Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agent grades

CBS sports:Minnesota Vikings: D-Key additions: TE Josh Oliver (Ravens), DE Marcus Davenport (Saints)
The Vikings currently have the second-least amount of cap space in the entire NFL outside of the Saints, so there's not a whole lot they can do. However, giving former New Orleans Saint Marcus Davenport $13 million on a one-year deal even though he's coming off what may be the worst season of his career at 26 years old in 2022 is a whiff. 
The signing of former Baltimore Ravens tight end Josh Oliver to a three-year, $21 million contract with a career stat line of 26 catches for 230 receiving yards and two touchdowns at 25 years old is insanity. Unless Minnesota plans to make an out of nowhere run at Lamar Jackson, this signing makes even less sense than the Davenport money. 

Quote: @minny65 said:

CBS sports:Minnesota Vikings: D-Key additions: TE Josh Oliver (Ravens), DE Marcus Davenport (Saints)
The Vikings currently have the second-least amount of cap space in the entire NFL outside of the Saints, so there's not a whole lot they can do. However, giving former New Orleans Saint Marcus Davenport $13 million on a one-year deal even though he's coming off what may be the worst season of his career at 26 years old in 2022 is a whiff. 
The signing of former Baltimore Ravens tight end Josh Oliver to a three-year, $21 million contract with a career stat line of 26 catches for 230 receiving yards and two touchdowns at 25 years old is insanity. Unless Minnesota plans to make an out of nowhere run at Lamar Jackson, this signing makes even less sense than the Davenport money. 
Leave it to CBS to give us a stat line for a blocking tight end. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:

Leave it to CBS to give us a stat line for a blocking tight end. 
You should see Brian O'Neill's stat line.  Oliver dwarfs O'Neill's contributions for a fraction of the cost.

Sports Coverage Grade

CBS Sports: F-

Quote: @Kentis said:
Sports Coverage Grade

CBS Sports: F-
i am not even sure why they have sports any more, or really a tv network.

Sporting News:

NFL free agency 2023: Grading the latest signings, tradesTop 60 overall free agent signings
  • Browns sign Vikings DT Dalvin Tomlinson for 4 years, $57 million
Grade: A
Cleveland needed to big-time beef up defensive tackle to better help Myles Garrett from the inside and Tomlinson and former Texan Ogbonnia Okoronkwo gets it two immediate reliable starters.

• Steelers sign Vikings CB Patrick Peterson for 2 years, $14 million
Grade: B
Peterson joins his third team still as a savvy starting-caliber cover man despite losing a few steps of top-end speed. He will replace the player below.

• Vikings sign Saints DE Marcus Davenport for 1 year, $13 million
Grade: C
Minnesota needed to boost its pass rush but this is a lot for high-upside but disappointing producer so far.

How about an “Incomplete,” grading moves before the league year even starts is an exercise in futility…  B) 

Walters:

Vikings sign TE Josh Oliver (3 years, $21 million): D Grade
What in the world are the Vikings doing? This is a horrible signing, and it has nothing to do with the talent of Josh Oliver. I'm actually an Oliver fan; he's an excellent blocker and an underrated receiver. He was buried on Baltimore's depth chart, so I liked him as an under-the-radar signing for a team that needed a tight end.

The Vikings, however, did not need a tight end. I get that they can use two-tight end formations with T.J. Hockenson, but the Vikings had so many other pressing needs, particularly on defense. For a team with as many defensive holes as the Vikings possess, making a move like this is il-responsible, as my sixth-grade English teacher used to say.

Vikings sign DE Marcus Davenport (1 year, $13 million): A- Grade
I criticized the Vikings for giving a big contract to a tight end, so I automatically have to like this contract more. The secondary is a disaster, but a better pass rush will help the team's ability to stop the pass.

Anyone looking at Marcus Davenport's stats might be confused about how he could help a pass rush, given that he logged just half a sack last year. However, Davenport played better than that stat indicates, and Davenport had nine sacks in 2021. He should be able to rebound, and I like that he'll be trying his hardest so he can get a long-term deal next offseason.

Vikings re-sign C Garrett Bradbury (3 years, $15.75 million): A+ Grade
Garrett Bradbury struggled to start his career, but has since improved markedly. He was so good, in fact, that the Vikings' offense sputtered late during the 2022 season when he was injured. Things improved when he returned for a playoff start, but the defense couldn't hold up its end of the bargain.

Given how important Bradbury became for Minnesota's offense, the team absolutely had to re-sign him. I'm actually surprised Bradbury didn't get more than this, so this signing deserves to be graded very highly.

Fox:

Marcus Davenport, DE, Vikings
2022 stats: 29 total tackles, 8 QB hits. 0.5 sacks
Reported terms: One year, $13 million 
Previous team: Saints
The Saints pass-rusher didn’t have much of a market, even with limited edge options available, and signed a one-year, $13 million deal with the Vikings. They’re counting on him to return to his 2021 levels — nine sacks — and not a disappointing 2022 in which he finished with 0.5 sacks and had just two tackles for loss in 490 defensive snaps. The Saints had a top-10 defense and cap issues, so it’s smart to try to find help there. —Greg Auman
Grade: C+

You bored Minny?  B)