Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red McCombs dead at 95
Quote: @greediron said:
@HappyViking said:
@AGRforever said:
Good I’ll never forgive that asshole for shipping moss off to save money and spite the Minnesota fan base
I don't blame Red for that.  Moss was being a total dick at that time and wanted to leave.  I was glad to see Moss leave the way he was pouting and moping around; similar to Diggs before he left.
Can't blame Moss when he saw the penny pinching McCombs driving the team into the dirt.  Hiring Tice without enough assistants was the cheap way down.  Moss was petulant, but he had a reason to be.
I didn't like Red as the owner, and I agree he was cheap and wanted to move the Vikes.  That last season Moss was the only player tip toeing around with his routes with gator arms that I saw.  Moss lost me when he walked off the field in Washington.  I wished Birk would've punched him in the face for that.I actually like RM now as a commentator.  He's matured quite a bit now it seems.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@greediron said:
@HappyViking said:
@AGRforever said:
Good I’ll never forgive that asshole for shipping moss off to save money and spite the Minnesota fan base
I don't blame Red for that.  Moss was being a total dick at that time and wanted to leave.  I was glad to see Moss leave the way he was pouting and moping around; similar to Diggs before he left.
Can't blame Moss when he saw the penny pinching McCombs driving the team into the dirt.  Hiring Tice without enough assistants was the cheap way down.  Moss was petulant, but he had a reason to be.
I didn't like Red as the owner, and I agree he was cheap and wanted to move the Vikes.  That last season Moss was the only player tip toeing around with his routes with gator arms that I saw.  Moss lost me when he walked off the field in Washington.  I wished Birk would've punched him in the face for that.I actually like RM now as a commentator.  He's matured quite a bit now it seems.
Lol, threw me for a minute when I read RM as an announcer. I was like when was McCombs an announcer? Then I realized you were referring to Moss.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@greediron said:
@HappyViking said:
@AGRforever said:
Yes, I think most of us were pissed with Moss and his lack of effort that year.  Not excusing that behavior, but the team was a disaster.  I liked Tice as well, but he wasn't cut out for head coaching, he was just the cheapest option.  

All I can say is the team didn't move to San Antonio or Birmingham as was the talk at that time. 

I've told this story before, but I'll never forget when he owned the team and was getting absolutely lambasted in the media for being "cheap" and trying to lowball Bryant McKinnie, who was in a rookie contract holdout for first half of the season while our QB was getting killed. I sent the organization a letter (yes, I'm that old) voicing my displeasure and that if the organization wasn't going to do everything they could to improve the team and win, then why should I continue to support them as a fan who buys apparel, game tickets, etc. I received a return letter in the mail a few weeks later written personally by Red, which said something to the effect of, "We are doing everything we can to win and we've made Bryant a fair offer and hope to have him signed soon." The back of the note read, "P.S. no one player is bigger than the team itself---Red."  The letter came with a team photo. I totally didn't expect to get a return letter from the owner himself, and thought that was pretty cool, even if I didn't agree with the premise of the letter itself.