Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikes hiring Flores
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
While I think he can get more out of the unit than Donatell, I'm still skeptical from the standpoint that all these New England guys are so incredibly overhyped only to do fizzle out. The fact the Patriots didn't want him back is strange, especially since Belichick makes it a habit of re-hiring firmer coaches that have been fired by other organizations. He has also never been a DC at any level. This will be his first gig. The name is bigger than the substance for all the wrong reasons...so we'll see. It would be harder to do worse 
Belichick's kid is the de facto DC there now, so there's not really a spot for Flores. Never underestimate the power of nepotism!
Flores definitely comes with some baggage. Whether that's all or partially his fault or not I'm not really sure, but it does seem like the guy can coach. And I prefer him to Pettine for sure. Hopefully this works out. Can't get much worse than the past couple seasons.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Wow, so we CAN have nice things? I thought we were going to have to scour the high school ranks to find a DC willing to take over our crap roster. 

Agreed, he wasn't my own 1st choice but he was clearly one of the top candidates for KAM/KOC since the search began.

Tom Moore is tweeting that Flores pulled himself out of the running for HC @ AZ after hearing the plans here in MN. 

_onatell was a bad hire...But you know what would have been worse? Keeping him as DC. 

KOC showed that he isnt afraid to kick someone to the curb. Anyone who thinks he nothing more than a really nice, "aw shucks" slap you in the back guy are just wrong.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
Wow, so we CAN have nice things? I thought we were going to have to scour the high school ranks to find a DC willing to take over our crap roster. 

Agreed, he wasn't my own 1st choice but he was clearly one of the top candidates for KAM/KOC since the search began.

Tom Moore is tweeting that Flores pulled himself out of the running for HC @ AZ after hearing the plans here in MN. 

_onatell was a bad hire...But you know what would have been worse? Keeping him as DC. 

KOC showed that he isnt afraid to kick someone to the curb. Anyone who thinks he nothing more than a really nice, "aw shucks" slap you in the back guy are just wrong.

Exactly.  It's why I don't understand the shade getting thrown at him here by some fans.

He's done way more good than bad in his first year...  And really the only bad decision he made was hiring Donatell.  But guess what, he recognized it and made the right decision by firing him after a year.

Go get him a Hargrave or Payne to push the pocket. may have to part with Tomlinson, but we paid phillips to play that role and lynch has been ok. 

that one move would help alot! 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
Go get him a Hargrave or Payne to push the pocket. may have to part with Tomlinson, but we paid phillips to play that role and lynch has been ok. 

THIS,  with a bullet,  its the lack of in the QBs face kind of pressure that we have been missing for far to long,  even when Zim and Ed would send blitzes up the gut they rarely got home and typically made for very easy completions behind the blizter.  first and foremost we need to get the interior DL fixed,  for exactly the same reason we need to immediately address our OL giving up way to many pressures and hits in the QBs face.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@Wetlander said:
@supafreak84 said:
While I think he can get more out of the unit than Donatell, I'm still skeptical from the standpoint that all these New England guys are so incredibly overhyped only to do fizzle out. The fact the Patriots didn't want him back is strange, especially since Belichick makes it a habit of re-hiring firmer coaches that have been fired by other organizations. He has also never been a DC at any level. This will be his first gig. The name is bigger than the substance for all the wrong reasons...so we'll see. It would be harder to do worse 
Belicheck's coordinators have fizzled as HC, not everyone is meant to be a the top guy.  Flores is actually the only one in recent memory that actually was successful.  He didn't get fired cuz he couldn't coach.  Pretty impressive he went .500 with those Dolphins rosters.
I thought his firing was a combination of different things, including his inability to connect with some key players on the roster. We'll see. Like I said, if the choice was between rolling the dice on Flores or going with Pettine, I'm happy they rolled the dice on Flores. 
You made the comment about Bill not taking him back earlier in this post. I think that has more to do with Flores exposing the Belichick text he is using as evidence in his case against the NFL which shows that the Giants had already agreed to hire Daboll while Flores was scheduled for a 2nd interview to satisfy the Rooney Rule. First rule in Belichick Fight Club is "We don't talk about Belichick Fight Club."

Even if we only get him for 1 Season, I think it will be a big improvement. They will get rid of the overpriced veterans he doesn't want, restructure those he wants to keep, and free up enough cap space to sign low to mid tier Free Agents he has previously coached that fit his system. This offseason is shaping up to be another exciting one. Between Pittsburgh and Miami, there are definitely some good affordable Free Agent targets we can use to substantially improve this defense with the limited resources we have available. 

Quote: @JR44 said:
@Wetlander said:
@JR44 said:
Pretty hypocritical of the organization to get rid of Zimmer and RS cause of relationship issues and then you hire a guy who is the most abusive coach in the league.  Total BS.  
Most abusive coach?  Maybe I missed something, but I was under the impression the reason he was fired was cuz he blew the whistle on the Dolphins FO for tanking (and they were mad he started winning with their shitty roster that year) and didn't get along with Tua? 

Dude can coach and has a fiery personality.  Doubt KOC would hire the guy if he didn't think he was a culture fit.
You can't fire Zimmer for the reasons given and then hire a guy with a reputation for being even more abrasive.  I think this was more of a Kwesi move than a KOC move. 

https://thespun.com/top-stories/report-w...ian-flores
“There were plenty of players who liked and admired Flores, and let’s be clear about that. But his arrogance and bristling personality rubbed some the wrong way. A close associate of multiple young Dolphins said the players complained to him that ‘he doesn’t understand dealing with men. He’s not approachable.’ When Flores saw one young player in recent months, he told him: ‘Don’t come to my office talking about playing time.’ The player had no such intentions. But multiple sources said he treated players different ways; a veteran such as Jason McCourty wouldn’t be treated with that same heavy hand. ‘He was stern with some but joked around with some guys,’ the source said. ‘It was hard to read him.'”
Dunno, I alwasy enjoy the irony of players complaining about how the boss doesn't treat them like men.  

Quote: @JR44 said:
@Wetlander said:
@JR44 said:
Pretty hypocritical of the organization to get rid of Zimmer and RS cause of relationship issues and then you hire a guy who is the most abusive coach in the league.  Total BS.  
Most abusive coach?  Maybe I missed something, but I was under the impression the reason he was fired was cuz he blew the whistle on the Dolphins FO for tanking (and they were mad he started winning with their shitty roster that year) and didn't get along with Tua? 

Dude can coach and has a fiery personality.  Doubt KOC would hire the guy if he didn't think he was a culture fit.
You can't fire Zimmer for the reasons given and then hire a guy with a reputation for being even more abrasive.  I think this was more of a Kwesi move than a KOC move. 

https://thespun.com/top-stories/report-w...ian-flores
“There were plenty of players who liked and admired Flores, and let’s be clear about that. But his arrogance and bristling personality rubbed some the wrong way. A close associate of multiple young Dolphins said the players complained to him that ‘he doesn’t understand dealing with men. He’s not approachable.’ When Flores saw one young player in recent months, he told him: ‘Don’t come to my office talking about playing time.’ The player had no such intentions. But multiple sources said he treated players different ways; a veteran such as Jason McCourty wouldn’t be treated with that same heavy hand. ‘He was stern with some but joked around with some guys,’ the source said. ‘It was hard to read him.'”
You can after a losing season or two.  His method had worn thin and he had lost the locker room.  He was a great defensive mind, but seemed to lose his way as the HC.  Flores may have struggled as a HC as well, but he is coming in as the DC.  So this hire is on different level.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Bullazin said:

THIS,  with a bullet,  its the lack of in the QBs face kind of pressure that we have been missing for far to long,  even when Zim and Ed would send blitzes up the gut they rarely got home and typically made for very easy completions behind the blizter.  first and foremost we need to get the interior DL fixed,  for exactly the same reason we need to immediately address our OL giving up way to many pressures and hits in the QBs face.
Say what?  Are you thinking Frazier sending Greenway into a wall of lineman?

Zim could design pressure on the QB, that was never the issue.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bullazin said:

Say what?  Are you thinking Frazier sending Greenway into a wall of lineman?

Zim could design pressure on the QB, that was never the issue.
he just didnt have the guys that were getting home with enough consistency to make it worth the effort,  or the cover guys on the back end that allowed enough time.  our blitzes the last few years of Zim were not effective nearly enough.