Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top tier QBs in Draft: 4 guys
Richardson has an arm, but his inaccuracy as a passer is concerning. On 327 attempts this last season, he was only a 53% passer with 17 TD's and 9 INT's. His greatest asset at this point is as an athlete and runner. Where on the flipside, Hooker was an almost 70% passer on 329 attempts with 27 TD's and 2 INT's...in the SEC. Richardson has the higher upside, but as a player right now Hooker is far superior product. I agree with Geoff in that he will be a consideration for the Vikings in the first round. 

And for what it's worth, I have Hookers teammate Jalin Hyatt as my top rated WR in this draft and the other WR opposite him, Cedric Tillman, will also be in that first round conversation. Still though what Hooker was able to do prior to his injury was really, really impressive 

QB's have to display mid 60's% completion rate, with a continuous improvement in TD to interception ratio throughout their college career. Any QB with a completion rate below 63% in their senior yr. I take off my list.

I have no idea how Richardson with a 53% completion rate is seen as having an upside. That's mid level high school QB stats. Hooker is intriguing. If I'm taking a flyer on a guy in the later rounds, I'm throwing in on Max Duggan. The kid plays with a lot of heart, has shown to have a pretty good arm, an impressive 32 to 8 TD to int. ratio, is mobile, and tough as nails.

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
QB's have to display mid 60's% completion rate, with a continuous improvement in TD to interception ratio throughout their college career. Any QB with a completion rate below 63% in their senior yr. I take off my list.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pla...len-7.html

Hold my beer....

[Image: five-ways-bills-failing-qb-josh-allen.jpg]

Then hold my non-alcoholic beer....

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pla...ady-1.html

[Image: Tom-Brady-eb437ed7e54743d69a89a4d73c2fa004.jpg]

....I could do this all day. Point being picking a QB in the Draft is risky and luck is a big factor. Period. Hard criteria of what you think is important to make a good QB can't be followed to the letter or you'll miss a lot of great NFL players. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
....I could do this all day. Point being picking a QB in the Draft is risky and luck is a big factor. Period. Hard criteria of what you think is important to make a good QB can't be followed to the letter or you'll miss a lot of great NFL players. 
Agree. I don't think there are hard and fast rules like the Parcells criteria or the one mentioned above. It's probably best to consider everything, including injuries, supporting cast, system, mental makeup, whether or not his teammates attended his birthday party.  B)

I say that last bit as a joke, but you can bet it's real. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
It certainly appears right now there are 4 guys in the top tier of the upcoming NFL Draft.....4 first round QBs. Probably top 15. Say what you want about Richardson being maybe a 1a to the other dude's 1, but you know how this goes with GMs: they'll reach. Not sure if Minnesota is interested in drafting a QB or not, but they really don't have the capital to move up for one if so. So who's number 5? Certainly not a 1st round pick, but would that player be a #2? Or a 3rd rounder? The Kellen Mond pick was a complete joke in retrospect and the Vikings could have had Davis Mills. 

I've seen Hendon Hooker. I've seen Tanner McGee. Those 2 seem to be consistently the next tier. What does everyone think of either of those?
Hooker has a chance, the biggest question is how he'll adapt to an NFL offense. His ACL should be ready by training camp and it honestly is a natural way to redshirt him for a season. I actually tend to think the Vikings will take a long look at him. McKee I would pass on. Good pocket passer but honestly though when healthy Davis Mills was better in the same offense. Kind of changes you perception on his upside. 

You'll see the top 3 QBs ranked as Young, Levis, Stroud interchangeably with Richardson a close 4th. Offensive scheme will likely dictate who likes which player. Richardson has no middle ground whatsoever. The Lamar comp isn't perfect, his upside is actually more of Josh Allen. But the floor is a complete flameout. 
https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Hend...rginiaTech

He just turned 25 years old. A definite minus. I get a Geno Smith comparison.

Age matters, but less for a QB. It just doesn't deplete your value of the pick since a good QB will play well into their 30s vs. a RB/WB/Skill player who the tread on the tires catches up to them. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
It certainly appears right now there are 4 guys in the top tier of the upcoming NFL Draft.....4 first round QBs. Probably top 15. Say what you want about Richardson being maybe a 1a to the other dude's 1, but you know how this goes with GMs: they'll reach. Not sure if Minnesota is interested in drafting a QB or not, but they really don't have the capital to move up for one if so. So who's number 5? Certainly not a 1st round pick, but would that player be a #2? Or a 3rd rounder? The Kellen Mond pick was a complete joke in retrospect and the Vikings could have had Davis Mills. 

I've seen Hendon Hooker. I've seen Tanner McGee. Those 2 seem to be consistently the next tier. What does everyone think of either of those?
Hooker has a chance, the biggest question is how he'll adapt to an NFL offense. His ACL should be ready by training camp and it honestly is a natural way to redshirt him for a season. I actually tend to think the Vikings will take a long look at him. McKee I would pass on. Good pocket passer but honestly though when healthy Davis Mills was better in the same offense. Kind of changes you perception on his upside. 

You'll see the top 3 QBs ranked as Young, Levis, Stroud interchangeably with Richardson a close 4th. Offensive scheme will likely dictate who likes which player. Richardson has no middle ground whatsoever. The Lamar comp isn't perfect, his upside is actually more of Josh Allen. But the floor is a complete flameout. 
https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Hend...rginiaTech

He just turned 25 years old. A definite minus. I get a Geno Smith comparison.

Age matters, but less for a QB. It just doesn't deplete your value of the pick since a good QB will play well into their 30s vs. a RB/WB/Skill player who the tread on the tires catches up to them. 
Good point. I have been interested in Aidan O'Connell as a potential 3rd round pick for us, but I've been hesitant to jump on that bandwagon since he will be 25 when the Season starts and sit behind Cousins for at least a year. Still, you would have him under contract until he's 30 which isn't that old in QB years. I would like him even more if we trade down and get additional picks we could use for a pick like that.