Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top tier QBs in Draft: 4 guys
It certainly appears right now there are 4 guys in the top tier of the upcoming NFL Draft.....4 first round QBs. Probably top 15. Say what you want about Richardson being maybe a 1a to the other dude's 1, but you know how this goes with GMs: they'll reach. Not sure if Minnesota is interested in drafting a QB or not, but they really don't have the capital to move up for one if so. So who's number 5? Certainly not a 1st round pick, but would that player be a #2? Or a 3rd rounder? The Kellen Mond pick was a complete joke in retrospect and the Vikings could have had Davis Mills. 

I've seen Hendon Hooker. I've seen Tanner McGee. Those 2 seem to be consistently the next tier. What does everyone think of either of those?

I think Tanner McKee is a Davis Mills, Kyle Trask-level pick. Should be a good backup with an outside shot at starting.  Hendon Hooker is day three. His game is just too far away from the NFL. 

If the Vikings want a QB this year, Richardson, who needs time, actually makes sense for a team who already has a QB. Even though it looks like he might be the 4th QB off the board, the Vikings would still likely have to trade up to get him. 

I think Richardson, Hooker, McKee etc will all be available at the Vikings first pick (and later).

Mock drafters always overrate these guys...  especially in January.  Anyone remember the Malik Willis talk of going top 5?  Richardson is a lot like him... 

I think Levis, Stroud, and Young are the only guaranteed first rounders.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I think Richardson, Hooker, McKee etc will all be available at the Vikings first pick (and later).

Mock drafters always overrate these guys...  especially in January.  Anyone remember the Malik Willis talk of going top 5?  Richardson is a lot like him... 

I think Levis, Stroud, and Young are the only guaranteed first rounders.
That's a good point about Willis. But I think it's less about the QB and more about the need. Seems everyone needs a QB this year.

Also, Liberty's offense was a big reason why Willis fell (if NFL teams were ever really as high on him as draft observers thought). Like Willis, Richardson is raw, but I don't think Florida to the NFL is quite the same stretch. 

Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson's success pushes Richardson up the draft board. I suspect one of the QB-needy teams takes him early.

So there's a substantial dropoff from those top 4. That's what I thought.

Richardson is not good at throwing the ball. He's just a runner.

I think McKee has a shot at being the Fifth QB taken in the first round. Stanford has been horrible for back to back seasons so if he wows people at his individual workouts, he will get pushed up the draft boards. He's Cousins with better mobility. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
It certainly appears right now there are 4 guys in the top tier of the upcoming NFL Draft.....4 first round QBs. Probably top 15. Say what you want about Richardson being maybe a 1a to the other dude's 1, but you know how this goes with GMs: they'll reach. Not sure if Minnesota is interested in drafting a QB or not, but they really don't have the capital to move up for one if so. So who's number 5? Certainly not a 1st round pick, but would that player be a #2? Or a 3rd rounder? The Kellen Mond pick was a complete joke in retrospect and the Vikings could have had Davis Mills. 

I've seen Hendon Hooker. I've seen Tanner McGee. Those 2 seem to be consistently the next tier. What does everyone think of either of those?
Hooker has a chance, the biggest question is how he'll adapt to an NFL offense. His ACL should be ready by training camp and it honestly is a natural way to redshirt him for a season. I actually tend to think the Vikings will take a long look at him. McKee I would pass on. Good pocket passer but honestly though when healthy Davis Mills was better in the same offense. Kind of changes you perception on his upside. 

You'll see the top 3 QBs ranked as Young, Levis, Stroud interchangeably with Richardson a close 4th. Offensive scheme will likely dictate who likes which player. Richardson has no middle ground whatsoever. The Lamar comp isn't perfect, his upside is actually more of Josh Allen. But the floor is a complete flameout. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:

Hooker has a chance, the biggest question is how he'll adapt to an NFL offense. His ACL should be ready by training camp and it honestly is a natural way to redshirt him for a season. I actually tend to think the Vikings will take a long look at him. McKee I would pass on. Good pocket passer but honestly though when healthy Davis Mills was better in the same offense. Kind of changes you perception on his upside. 

You'll see the top 3 QBs ranked as Young, Levis, Stroud interchangeably with Richardson a close 4th. Offensive scheme will likely dictate who likes which player. Richardson has no middle ground whatsoever. The Lamar comp isn't perfect, his upside is actually more of Josh Allen. But the floor is a complete flameout. 
https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Hend...rginiaTech

He just turned 25 years old. A definite minus. I get a Geno Smith comparison.