Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you trade a 3rd for Lance?
Not sure GB would want to trade Rodgers within the conference.

As exciting as it is to ponder trading our expensive and aging QB for one of the recent hot, young, strong-armed and mobile draft picks, I'm fairly certain this would never happen. 

I can see the 49ers wanting it, but not the Vikings. Imagine putting your career on the line by sending a top 10 QB who just came off a 13-win season, with 8 comeback victories, for a totally unproven guy. A guy who could be good, but could still also be the next Akili Smith. Potential career ender. 

I think Lance still has a good degree of upside and he's worth more than a 3rd rounder, but I think the only way the Vikings make a trade for him is with picks and/or players not named Cousins. 

I don't think Cousins is going anywhere, but it does make more sense right now for them to have interest and capture something in their (49ers) window. Trey Lance isn't the answer for them and I think they know this. Would Jimmy G. come back on a one/two year deal? Maybe. We know Shanahan loves Kirk Cousins. But do the Vikings want to get into full rebuild right now? Maybe. Lots of questions.

Why would it be a full rebuild if we got rid of Cousins? We got enough talent on offense. 
Keenum a backup quarterback took us to the title game without Cook.
Which is something Cousins has been unable to accomplish.

Quote: @Norse said:
Why would it be a full rebuild if we got rid of Cousins? We got enough talent on offense. 
Pretty sure our #1 ranked defense helped the team get to the NFC title game.  It's not unlike the 49ers this past season.  It'd be awesome to have a D like that again and an accurate QB like Cousins. 

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@Norse said:
Pretty sure our #1 ranked defense helped the team get to the NFC title game.  It's not unlike the 49ers this past season.  It'd be awesome to have a D like that again and an accurate QB like Cousins. 
I dont think you get to have both... you want your cake,   or your ice cream?  unless of course you arent interested in resigning JJ, Hock, and possibly Darrisaw.

Look, I think the smart money is on the 49ers adding a veteran QB and you know Cousins is always towards the top of Shannahan's wish list. If we agreed to eat some of Cousins cap hit for this season, if the 49ers offered;
Trey Lance3rd round pick5th round pick
Is that something that gets it done?

I can see SF & Brady being a match next season.

Ya know I find it really humorous that many here want to get rid of Cousins but we keep getting reminded that Shanahan wants him. Shanahan is one of the best offensive minds in the game and if he wants Cousins so bad why wouldn't the Vikings want him?

I understand the cap ramifications but that's part of today's NFL. I really don't think Lance would be able to step in and be as good as Cousins and what other solution do they have to replace his durability and accuracy? Not to mention how JJ and others would react to an obvious rebuild move.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Look, I think the smart money is on the 49ers adding a veteran QB and you know Cousins is always towards the top of Shannahan's wish list. If we agreed to eat some of Cousins cap hit for this season, if the 49ers offered;
Trey Lance3rd round pick5th round pick
Is that something that gets it done?
how much of that money are you wanting to eat?  We will already be on the hook for about 19m of accelerated signing bonus,  he is due 15m in march for roster bonus,  as well as another 5m in september for roster,  his base salary is only 10.. I mean we can eat a little but with that 19M already hitting this year,  I dont really want to eat much more on this years cap unless they really want to get wild with the picks.   Their investment into Lance means very little to me,  I valued him at a late first early 2nd round pick at best 2 years ago,  now he is half done with his rookie deal,  has limited experience,  and is unproven damaged goods.

I want 2 of their 3rds,  and if they are snotty about it... then I want their 2nd in 24 as well.   honestly if we eat much of his remaining roster money due,  then they need to go all 3- 3rds and either that 5th this year or something day 2 next year IMO.  They know their window is as wide open as it will ever be, but it will come crashing down pretty quickly once they start paying a top tier QB contract so they could get Cousins on the cheap this year,  then back load his next deal and likely get about 2 decent years of contention out of him, which IMO is likely at his expiration date anyway.   so 3 legit shots at a SB and only costing 3-3rds and a 5th plus a broken question mark.  

Like many have said,  if Shanny thought there was something to work with in Lance,  he wouldnt be included in any deal,  so even though they gave up a lot of equity for him,  him being included actually scares me more than intrigues me.