Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you trade a 3rd for Lance?
if this was Trey Lance who played college football at Indiana State would this board talk him up as much?

SF will get more than a 3rd round pick if for no other reason than they're responsible for the majority of the Cap hit on Lance's contract.

I would trade away our 3rd round pick for him. That pick is #88 overall. It would be worth it just to have a back up QB on the roster on a relatively cheap contract for at least the next 2 seasons.

Take a look at the players drafted in the 3rd round from the 2017 & 2018 drafts. Less than half are still in the league.

Quote: @bigbone62 said:
if this was Trey Lance who played college football at Indiana State would this board talk him up as much?
Yes, he was drafted 3# for a reason by a staff that has hit a lot of home runs on player personnel evaluation.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Whoever it is, I think the Vikings need to take a swing on someone because adding a QB likely won't come out of the draft. We can not continue this cycle of not having a continuation plan at the position and allowing Cousins and his agent, for all intents and purposes, to hold us hostage. That's got to end. So whether that's taking a swing on Lance, Zack Wilson, or someone else... it's time to roll the dice and see if KOC can develop a young QB. 
Wilson would be just a desperation swing. Not sure Lance would be better. Give me a guy who's at least trending in the right direction.
[Image: 3v7bg3fyf0y9.gif]

He's probably worth taking a flyer with a 3rd round pick more so than a guy like, say, Kellen Mond.

Quote: @Skodin said:
@bigbone62 said:
Yes, he was drafted 3# for a reason by a staff that has hit a lot of home runs on player personnel evaluation.
Weird, outside of the region he played college ball and some Niners fans the majority of the NFL world doesn't seem all that high on him. History is littered with guys drafted in the top five "for a reason" that were absolute busts. But lets follow through with your logic that he was selected by a staff that hits homeruns. If the staff is that prominent at player eval it is any even bigger red flag. After only two seasons, surrendering 3 first round picks and a third round pick. Dumping a guy who they, combined with Purdy  could keep for around $10 million in 2023.  

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
SF will get more than a 3rd round pick if for no other reason than they're responsible for the majority of the Cap hit on Lance's contract.

I would trade away our 3rd round pick for him. That pick is #88 overall. It would be worth it just to have a back up QB on the roster on a relatively cheap contract for at least the next 2 seasons.

Take a look at the players drafted in the 3rd round from the 2017 & 2018 drafts. Less than half are still in the league.
That's just it. I would be shocked if the 49ers settled for a 3rd rounder. 3rd rounders are hit and miss. You sometimes get a Brian Asamoah, but more often than not, it's Wyatt Davis, Chazz Suratt and Scott Crichton.

I can't help but think this article is full of shit. One, because I don't see the 49ers trading him at all, and two, because I don't think there's a single team in the NFL who wouldn't eagerly send a 3rd rounder to the 49ers for Lance. It's not like this is Zach Wilson, who went out there and proved he couldn't play in the NFL. There's still a great deal of upside surrounding Lance. 

If the 49ers are willing to trade Lance for a 3rd round pick (I doubt it) I would be highly skeptical of what you're getting. He has continued value to the 49ers even if he were to be the primary backup to Purdy. They just saw first-hand what QB depth can do for you. Aside from that you also have the trade package they gave up to add Lance, its a sunk cost, but NFL teams don't view it that way. 

Basically, the concept of adding a QB with upside is intriguing. If the 49ers are willing to move Lance for a 3rd round pick I would tend to worry they have good reason to believe he won't develop since there is no value in that deal for them. 

On Zach Wilson, it's my opinion that we don't know yet if he is a bust until he is put in the right situation to succeed. The Jets hired a defensive guy as their head coach, the supporting cast has been suspect and injured, and they just fired their offensive coordinator for his ineptitude. You hear it all the time relating to rookie quarterbacks that where they land situationally is the biggest precursor for future success. Wilson's situation has not been good, granted he hasn't helped matters either. But this is the kind if high upside guy you would want to take a shot on. Let him come in behind Cousins, no pressure to start, and let him sit and learn behind a veteran quarterback on how to be a pro with a real offensive minded head coach who played the position bringing him along. There might not be a better situation for Zach Wilson then in Minnesota 

Quote:
@supafreak84 said:
On Zach Wilson, it's my opinion that we don't know yet if he is a bust until he is put in the right situation to succeed. The Jets hired a defensive guy as their head coach, the supporting cast has been suspect and injured, and they just fired their offensive coordinator for his ineptitude. You hear it all the time relating to rookie quarterbacks that where they land situationally is the biggest precursor for future success. Wilson's situation has not been good, granted he hasn't helped matters either. But this is the kind if high upside guy you would want to take a shot on. Let him come in behind Cousins, no pressure to start, and let him sit and learn behind a veteran quarterback on how to be a pro with a real offensive minded head coach who played the position bringing him along. There might not be a better situation for Zach Wilson then in Minnesota 
its not the on field failures that I have against Wilson,  I was all for trying to draft him,  but the immaturity he has shown at times leads me to wonder if Kirk would even waste his time with the kid or would it be like the big old dog whipping the shit out of the puppy and the puppy just wanders away?  some damn good college QBs have failed at the pro level simply because they never humbled themselves enough to learn the pro game and take advice from people that were less physically gifted than themselves, or even less accomplished in college.  I said it before,  if they get a chance to talk to him and he says the right things when pressed a bit on his questionable comments or actions,  then take a flyer on him at the right price,  if he gets defensive or tries to blame others.....we then I think you have your answer right there and it would be a hard pass for me.