Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings will have the #23 pick in the draft
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@mgobluevikes said:
Which Golden Domer you got us taking... Wink
Lol well I had Mayer penciled in for us prior to the Hockenson trade. Foskey is our only other 1st round prospect for this draft but I don't see us taking a rush end unless we move on from Zadarius Smith. So no domers for us this year (at least not in the 1st round). 

A couple guys that interest me in that range early though are Jalin Hyatt, Bryan Bresee, and Drew Sanders
Bresee is the #2 DT according to Drafttek. Doubt if he's there for us. Sanders might be interesting. Can't say I know much about him, other than he's tall. lol

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Things will change in the coming months but #23 is a decent spot considering the number of DBs that will come off the board between 20 and the end of the round. Lots of ability to choose their DB if they have a preference. 
If they use theat pick on another DB, I'm going to lose it. We are going to have so many other roster holes to fill that taking another DB would be inexcusable. You sink or swim next season with Dantzler, Evans, Booth, Cine, Bynum, and all these other young guys we've invested in. 
Not drafting DBs since you've drafted others in previous years is a strawman argument. 
Not when you have as many other roster holes as we do. I'd put DB maybe around our 4th or 5th greatest need, and we just invested 3 of our first 5 picks on DB's. Unless you simply don't believe in the players you just drafted, the need, salary cap, and lack of draft capital almost dictates the pick being invested at another position. You can't build a roster from the outside-in. That pick needs to be invested in a front seven player on defense, a playmaker on offense, or else you take a swing at a QB if one happens to be there. 

@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Things will change in the coming months but #23 is a decent spot considering the number of DBs that will come off the board between 20 and the end of the round. Lots of ability to choose their DB if they have a preference. 
If they use theat pick on another DB, I'm going to lose it. We are going to have so many other roster holes to fill that taking another DB would be inexcusable. You sink or swim next season with Dantzler, Evans, Booth, Cine, Bynum, and all these other young guys we've invested in. 
Agree, it's time we invest in our trenches.  Why are Philly and SF so good?  They have a good OL and a deep stable of DL.

Same with the Cowboys

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@supafreak84 said:
@mgobluevikes said:
Lol well I had Mayer penciled in for us prior to the Hockenson trade. Foskey is our only other 1st round prospect for this draft but I don't see us taking a rush end unless we move on from Zadarius Smith. So no domers for us this year (at least not in the 1st round). 

A couple guys that interest me in that range early though are Jalin Hyatt, Bryan Bresee, and Drew Sanders
Bresee is the #2 DT according to Drafttek. Doubt if he's there for us. Sanders might be interesting. Can't say I know much about him, other than he's tall. lol
Injuries might push Bresee down the boards. He had a down year, but that was mostly due to the tragic death of his sister and an early season injury. We'll see what teams think of him medically. 

I like Sanders though. Alabama transfer that is all over the field. He is the kind of bigger LB we would want if we stick with a 3-4. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Agree, it's time we invest in our trenches.  Why are Philly and SF so good?  They have a good OL and a deep stable of DL.
The big caveat I put on that is draft positioning. Building the trenches should always be near the top of the list. But NFL DE/DTs are historically either taken in the top 10-12 picks or in the middle rounds where you take athletic projections that put it all together. Philly, SF, and Dallas all fit that mold as well. 

This FO didn't sink them from a DB perspective. But depending how they handle P2 & Duke Shelley they're going into 2023 with Cam Dantzler on an expiring deal, Evans, and Booth. Who is a sure thing in that group? Yes, they took Cine last year but I don't think that's a reason to eliminate DB. 

Its an option. Nothing more than that. 

@mgobluevikes said:
@supafreak84 said:
@mgobluevikes said:

Injuries might push Bresee down the boards. He had a down year, but that was mostly due to the tragic death of his sister and an early season injury. We'll see what teams think of him medically. 

I like Sanders though. Alabama transfer that is all over the field. He is the kind of bigger LB we would want if we stick with a 3-4. 
Is he significantly better than Campbell from Iowa, or Eichenberg from that other school?

If we can't generate a consistent pass rush, or stop the run, it doesn't matter who we have back there at DB.
Ouch.

If we can't generate a consistent pass rush, or stop the run, it doesn't matter who we have back there at DB.
^^^^ This all day

For 5 plus years now we have not been able to fix either the Oline ir Dline. We have been prioritizing dbs and still need dbs. I dont know how to evaluate players but what I know is that our draft strategy has not been able to built a hard nose tough team. Every year we end up with a vanilla team that gets pushed around.
Whatever the plan is, I hope one can someday watch a Vikings team that plays tough on both sides of the ball.
So be it db, dl, qb, wr etc can we for once have a team thats though and plays with grit like the Eaglea, 49ers, Seahawks of old etc.
It is very old and frustrating ending the year wondering how to fill the many gaps on our roster with limited capital yet we have a plethora of draft picks every year.
Other teams rebuild and make a decent run (Bills, Bengals, Rams, Bucs to name a few) and we are stuck in being mediocre