Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting numbers on Dalvin
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Kentis said:
@StickyBun said:
Other than his fumbling, which is a major irritant for me, I don't get why Viking Nation has turned on Cook so quickly. The dude still has plenty of gas in the tank. 
Did you read the OP…? 

I did. I don't think those numbers tell anything close to the real story. All of sudden he can't run anymore? He's still just as shifty and if he's lost any speed, its very minor. I guess I'll say its JMO. 

Perhaps they were coaching & utilizing him to save some gas for the playoffs, who knows? If he explodes in the post season,  I’ll be right there with ya Sticky!!!

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Kentis said:
@StickyBun said:
Other than his fumbling, which is a major irritant for me, I don't get why Viking Nation has turned on Cook so quickly. The dude still has plenty of gas in the tank. 
Did you read the OP…? 

I did. I don't think those numbers tell anything close to the real story. All of sudden he can't run anymore? He's still just as shifty and if he's lost any speed, its very minor. I guess I'll say its JMO. 
Same.  I think he has the talent, perhaps it is the scheme change that he has struggled with.  KOC has certainly struggled with sticking with the run game, so that is part of it.

To add to the equation -- have you seen the run blocking grades for our OL starters?  Hint: they are very good.  So our line can run block but Cook can't run?  Cook also has one of the top on-field speed marks this year.  Not sure how this all fits together, but certainly the run game has not been stellar.

Cook is still a game breaker, but he looks like Saquon Barkley from last year.  Tenative at the line, too much dancing looking for a big play, and instead of taking a hard 2-4 yards...  he's getting stopped for a loss or no gain.

He needs to get back to just running hard and realizing if the hole isn't there to pound through and get a couple yards.  Those hard runs soften up a defense and lead to big runs later in games.  Barkley turned it around this year and admitted he was playing tentative because of not fully trusting the knee and ankle from the two seasons prior.

I'm not sure what Cooks deal is, but it may stem from not being given as many touches over the course of a game. I brought up his lack of touches in the first month of the season and said we needed to get him and the run game going. Maybe he starter trying to do more with less opportunities and altered his running style for the worse in the process?

Bottom line, our running game will play a big factor in how far we advance in the playoffs.  If we are too one dimensional, good teams will put us in 3rd and longs more often than not which isn't a recipe for success against teams like SF, Dallas, and Philly who all have a strong pass rush.

Schematically moving to a 1-back setup has really hurt him. His splits with Ham on the field are much better. He still has all of his skill, you see it once he gets up on the LBs or DBs. But he can't work his way past the LOS. Part of it is the poor run blocking but in instances where the blocking is sufficient he isn't finding the hole. Mattison on the other hand runs much more downhill which is why I think you see him end up being more effective at times. 

The base Offense during Zimmers tenure was Double TE

Double TE   favors the run.

KOC's base personnel is "21". 

21 personnel favors the pass.

Now that the season has been played out and the results are in, this held true in th e2022 Vikings Offense.

With ISJ returning,  and that it's playoff time (time to run the ball) , don't be surprised if KOC effectively  uses Double TE in the playoffs. Just sayin'

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Schematically moving to a 1-back setup has really hurt him. His splits with Ham on the field are much better. He still has all of his skill, you see it once he gets up on the LBs or DBs. But he can't work his way past the LOS. Part of it is the poor run blocking but in instances where the blocking is sufficient he isn't finding the hole. Mattison on the other hand runs much more downhill which is why I think you see him end up being more effective at times. 

So you agree he should be moved for draft capital this offseason…?  Wink 

Quote: @Kentis said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

So you agree he should be moved for draft capital this offseason…?  Wink 
I don't necessarily know how many takers you'll have considering the FA RB class is loaded. 

I think they are going to need his cap room to improve the rest of the team.

Quote: @kmillard said:
I think they are going to need his cap room to improve the rest of the team.
That would be the only reason. And the two guys in the wings: Chandler and Nwangwu. Mattison is gone.