Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is nothing against Cousins, but.....
Quote: @minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Vikeking2 said:
@purplefaithful said:
I like that Chiefs analogy Minny...

KC had already had a pro-bowler at QB and had the nads to trade him and boldly move up...

That took guts, smarts and some lady luck too
at no point in Alex Smiths career was be on the same level as Cousins has been for every year with Minny. 

now if a young qb you like is available in the draft, ok. but the rush to move on from Cousins, especially during a 9-2 season, is laughable.
Drafting a QB doesn't necessarily mean moving on from Cousins. I'm hoping it doesn't actually.

Even if we draft one this spring, Cousins is going to play here in 2023, which means year two in this offense, another year together for the OL. Cousins could explode. And then you'd extend him again. At that point, you have two very tradable assets. 
Yes you have to plan ahead and trust your coaching and development.  Kirk is here through 2023 (48 million dead cap hit if moved) but then the can stopped being kicked and 2024 we will have to answer the question of extending Kirk again.  

This would be the draft that we might be able to move up into the low teens if one of our highly rated QB's starts to fall.  Like the Bears did with moving up for Fields from the 20's recently.  Is Fields a franchise QB?  I don't know but the Bears had conviction and went for it at the most important position that is all I ask of Kwesi and the front office.  Again, Spelly who got Cousins would see the 48 dead cap hit next year and Kirk being good enough to not draft a QB maybe until the later rounds.  I don't want Kwesi to inherit Spelly's QB problem.  Next offseason I want Kwesi to be looking at 2024's QB situation with progression planning.  All this being said and if we don't deem any of the QB's worthy of a move up then so be it but there does seem to be a good 3 or 4 first round QB's.  
technically the Can O Cousins has been kicked all the way through 25 already, as his last contract spread the bonus hits into un-contracted years of 24 and 25 for 6.25M each year,  not a huge amount but an extra 6.25 in FA would be damn helpful in improving areas of weakness in any offseason.
Spotrac actually shows a dead cap 12.5 for 2024 which is not nothing, your right we might have Cousins for more than another year, but we still need to progression plan after the can stops spinning Smile
that 12.5 is only if he is cut after this year IIRC with a post june 1st designation,  if his contract plays out then his 6.25 is allowable for each of the next 2 years as "void years".

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Vikeking2 said:
@purplefaithful said:

KC had already had a pro-bowler at QB and had the nads to trade him and boldly move up...

at no point in Alex Smiths career was be on the same level as Cousins has been for every year with Minny. 

now if a young qb you like is available in the draft, ok. but the rush to move on from Cousins, especially during a 9-2 season, is laughable.
Drafting a QB doesn't necessarily mean moving on from Cousins. I'm hoping it doesn't actually.

Even if we draft one this spring, Cousins is going to play here in 2023, which means year two in this offense, another year together for the OL. Cousins could explode. And then you'd extend him again. At that point, you have two very tradable assets. 
WHAT?  You can trade potential young QBs?  Has this ever been done?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but other teams have figured this out and made a living doing it.  Why couldn't Rick?

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Vikeking2 said:
@purplefaithful said:

WHAT?  You can trade potential young QBs?  Has this ever been done?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but other teams have figured this out and made a living doing it.  Why couldn't Rick?
Hold on a moment, I’m trading down for a few more answers…!  Wink :p  

I guess I'm still crazy to think we should call SF up after the seasons and see if we can swing a deal with Cousins for Lance.  

I want cheap, mobile, with a big arm to go with these weapons and this OL.  Gives us some flexibility to add some talent to this defense.

I like Kirk, I want him to prove me wrong

Quote: @Skodin said:
I guess I'm still crazy to think we should call SF up after the seasons and see if we can swing a deal with Cousins for Lance.  

I want cheap, mobile, with a big arm to go with these weapons and this OL.  Gives us some flexibility to add some talent to this defense.

I like Kirk, I want him to prove me wrong
Lance is not ready... he was a raw of a QB product as we have likely ever seen come out of college.  If you were to get him you would need to get another QB in to mentor him IMO.