Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is nothing against Cousins, but.....
...isn't it time to draft a QB? Let's take advantage of a full year for sure of sitting and learning next season for a rookie. Some kid that is more mobile, bigger arm and more about the modern NFL. I really do like Cousins and that dude can be so accurate. I don't want this to be a bash KC thread, but he's got a few issues. JMO that this upcoming Draft is the right time to nab somebody. 

I think it's just about who's available when we draft. I'm not opposed to drafting a QB, but I think we should probably extend Cousins again, let him grow in this new offense for a couple years. I think that gives us our best chance for a championship. Ideally, we have the right young QB developing in the pipeline over that time. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
...isn't it time to draft a QB? Let's take advantage of a full year for sure of sitting and learning next season for a rookie. Some kid that is more mobile, bigger arm and more about the modern NFL. I really do like Cousins and that dude can be so accurate. I don't want this to be a bash KC thread, but he's got a few issues. JMO that this upcoming Draft is the right time to nab somebody. 

Thought the same thing last night.  You almost have to have a mobile QB in today's NFL.  I don't know if we should start the QB search in next years draft or not?  It's not like the Vikings should discount they have the 2nd best record in the NFL with what they have, so obviously something is working. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think it's just about who's available when we draft. I'm not opposed to drafting a QB, but I think we should probably extend Cousins again, let him grow in this new offense for a couple years. I think that gives us our best chance for a championship. Ideally, we have the right young QB developing in the pipeline over that time. 
can the team afford to keep extending cousins?  we are currently carrying cap hits into 2 future years to make his ballooning salary work without having to take to many hits at other positions.  With JJ and TJ both needing new deals,  and the team already over the projected cap for 23,  how much more can the team afford to kick down the road before they have to start letting quality younger players walk?  yes we will likely get some relief from Harry, AT, Kendricks, and a few others,  but there are already other needs to fill with cap space to keep this team competitive.  If KC wants to keep playing for the Vikings IMO he needs to play for a more team friendly deal,  or its time for the team to move on after 23.  IMO the only way they rework his deal after this season is if he agrees to future years at current money so that his % of the cap drops in years he is actually active for.  No more cap being spread into years not under contract IMO.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
can the team afford to keep extending cousins?  we are currently carrying cap hits into 2 future years to make his ballooning salary work without having to take to many hits at other positions.  With JJ and TJ both needing new deals,  and the team already over the projected cap for 23,  how much more can the team afford to kick down the road before they have to start letting quality younger players walk?  yes we will likely get some relief from Harry, AT, Kendricks, and a few others,  but there are already other needs to fill with cap space to keep this team competitive.  If KC wants to keep playing for the Vikings IMO he needs to play for a more team friendly deal,  or its time for the team to move on after 23.  IMO the only way they rework his deal after this season is if he agrees to future years at current money so that his % of the cap drops in years he is actually active for.  No more cap being spread into years not under contract IMO.
Also, JJ's massive contract is coming. Need some relief that a rookie QB's contract would afford.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:

Thought the same thing last night.  You almost have to have a mobile QB in today's NFL.  I don't know if we should start the QB search in next years draft or not?  It's not like the Vikings should discount they have the 2nd best record in the NFL with what they have, so obviously something is working. 

We dont have a bunch of picks next year either...

We're going to be drafting in the mid or high 20's. Maybe someone falls precipitously?

Lots of needs on this team, on the D all over and in both trenches. But yah, they need a QBOTF and most likely a very mobile/athletic one. They were discussing this very thing on the Pack/Eagles game. 

Philly got a nice bargain getting Hurts in the 2nd rd. He keeps a mobile QB with a good arm tradition going in Philly:

Cunningham
Vick
McNabb
Hurts

With Cousins as he ages, you'll need a great OL and good weapons.  Usually neither is cheap and in a couple of years Jefferson is going to eat up some serious cap.  Time to draft a young mobile QB.  I would also send the Jets a 6th for Wilson too to see what you can mold out of him.

With upgraded play from the RG position on offense, a young cheap mobile QB could do quite well with all the weapons, Darrisaw, ONeill, Cleveland, Jefferson, TJ, KJ, Nailor with Chandler and Kene at RB.

Save the picks for reloading the front 7 of the defense and hope that Cine, Evans, Booth can be quality NFL starters with Bynum and Dantzler

I would assume this new regime will draft a QB at some point. Maybe this off-season or the one after that...  Based on the trade for Nick Mullens and cutting both Mannion and Mond, I think they realize the importance of the QB position (and having a viable backup).  Could be a nice change from the Zimmer/Spielman era where we actually try to draft/acquire QBs instead of having a veteran and taking late round fliers on guys.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:

We're going to be drafting in the mid or high 20's. Maybe someone falls precipitously?

Lots of needs on this team, on the D all over and in both trenches. But yah, they need a QBOTF and most likely a very mobile/athletic one. They were discussing this very thing on the Pack/Eagles game. 

Philly got a nice bargain getting Hurts in the 2nd rd. He keeps a mobile QB with a good arm tradition going in Philly:

Cunningham
Vick
McNabb
Hurts
I dont necessarily think we need a "mobile" guy in the mold of those that you listed,  but we need a QB that has pocket instincts and is willing to make teams pay for overplaying the pass.  IMO that is what is really holding our current O back is Kirks lack of pocket skills,  and unwillingness or inability to see that free 5 yards or more when those LBs are dropping into passing lanes and the DL is leaving huge gaps.  a guy like Rogers was when he was really giving our D fits,  if you didnt overplay the pass he killed you down field,  if you didnt maintain your rush lanes and your LB depth he would just say fuck it and take the free 5 to 10 yards.  they dont grow on trees,  but you dont find one if you arent looking either.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:

Cunningham
Vick
McNabb
Hurts
I dont necessarily think we need a "mobile" guy in the mold of those that you listed,  but we need a QB that has pocket instincts and is willing to make teams pay for overplaying the pass.  IMO that is what is really holding our current O back is Kirks lack of pocket skills,  and unwillingness or inability to see that free 5 yards or more when those LBs are dropping into passing lanes and the DL is leaving huge gaps.  a guy like Rogers was when he was really giving our D fits,  if you didnt overplay the pass he killed you down field,  if you didnt maintain your rush lanes and your LB depth he would just say fuck it and take the free 5 to 10 yards.  they dont grow on trees,  but you dont find one if you arent looking either.
Accuracy and smarts first, mobility as well...if he happens to be Superman athletically I say giddy up. 

Its been interesting watching how LaFleur evolved the Pack offense with the challenges they've had with young WR's, Bahktiari out for a stretch, bad Rogers thumb etc...

They are very blessed to have two studs @ RB to take the heat off Rogers.