Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is nothing against Cousins, but.....
Quote: @medaille said:
I’m of the firm belief that you should always being looking
to upgrade your QB situation, and that you should keep your good but not elite
QB until someone beats them out (that the overall team is better with the young
QB plus more money than the older QB).  I
think a big problem that happens is that teams draft too much for need.  Some teams like us have “good enough” QBs and
fail to draft the elite QBs that could bring us multiple super bowls and other teams
have a desperate need for a QB and draft guys too early or push them into
starting roles where they are inadequately supported and are destined to fail.  I think you should always be looking for potential
options to upgrade the QB spot because guys like Rodgers and Wilson are
available in the draft without moving up and guys like Mahomes didn’t require
too much capital for a middle of the road team to move up and get.  I think you want to have a process where you will
give QB prospects everything they need to succeed.  The entire goal is to make every QB on your
roster starting caliber.  Then every
other year or so draft a QB to put into the pipeline, and within two years you’ll
know if they have the right stuff and if you need to, trade them to get draft
capital back.
I listed a bunch of guys earlier in this thread that were on the clock who the Vikings could have drafted. Two more names to add to the list- Jimmy G (2nd round) and Jacoby Brissett (3rd). Both of these guys were picked by New England when they had the GOAT starting for them. The idea that you don't want to shake your starter's confidence by drafting another QB is ridiculous and antiquated. Neither Brissett or Garappolo are world-beaters but both are capable starters to this day, and on rookie/lesser salaries early in their careers versus Cousins at his money is compelling.
Seems like most here are on board with taking a QB. Hopefully the front office is too. Kirk will be 35 next year and when it goes it goes fast (Wilson, Rodgers, Ryan, others).

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
For sure. Like I said, I like Cousins. And I didn't want this to turn into a bitchfest about him. I just think the team really does need to nab a QB in this upcoming Draft. It will come down to how much they like a guy and if its either feasible to move up a bit for him or just take him a bit early at the end of round 1. Not sure. 
Don't disagree. They have to draft one at some point, and this year would seem to be a good time, given the QB class and Cousins contract through the 2023 season, assuring the rookie at least one year of development.

I just want the Vikings to believe in a player before drafting him. Move up, move down, do what you have to do, but don't just sit there and take the "next guy on the list."

If you believe in a guy,  and he's there when you pick,   why would you move down?  I can see it being difficult to move up with the holes we have outside of QB,  so unless they really fucking love a guy I would also be hesitant to make a big swing to move up for a guy from the 20s,  the odds are still the odds and its great when you hit like the chiefs did,  but more often than not a big swing and miss sets the franchise back many years.

If there's value in a guy,  and he fits what you want to do.  Grab him if he's there,  make a move if he's getting close,   but the big multi year first round moves just dont seem worth the risk IMO. 

I just want the Vikings to believe in a player before drafting him. Move up, move down, do what you have to do, but don't just sit there and take the "next guy on the list."
This needs bigger text. And possibly skywriting over Eagan next April. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I like that Chiefs analogy Minny...

KC had already had a pro-bowler at QB and had the nads to trade him and boldly move up...

That took guts, smarts and some lady luck too
at no point in Alex Smiths career was be on the same level as Cousins has been for every year with Minny. 

now if a young qb you like is available in the draft, ok. but the rush to move on from Cousins, especially during a 9-2 season, is laughable.

When it comes to drafting our future quarterback, I guess we'll have to just wait and see...

Quote: @Vikeking2 said:
@purplefaithful said:

KC had already had a pro-bowler at QB and had the nads to trade him and boldly move up...

at no point in Alex Smiths career was be on the same level as Cousins has been for every year with Minny. 

now if a young qb you like is available in the draft, ok. but the rush to move on from Cousins, especially during a 9-2 season, is laughable.
Alex Smith had 7 straight winning seasons before being traded.  I guess he just lucked into a good team around him on both teams he was on.  His stats are lower than Cousins in terms of production ... and also turnovers.

But no one is in a rush to move on from Cousins, just like the Chiefs weren't in a rush to move on from Smith.  They drafted a guy when they saw the opportunity, he sat for a year and once they saw he'd likely be better, they moved the lesser QB.

Quote: @Vikeking2 said:
@purplefaithful said:

Drafting a QB doesn't necessarily mean moving on from Cousins. I'm hoping it doesn't actually.

Even if we draft one this spring, Cousins is going to play here in 2023, which means year two in this offense, another year together for the OL. Cousins could explode. And then you'd extend him again. At that point, you have two very tradable assets. 

@Vikeking2 said:
@purplefaithful said:

Drafting a QB doesn't necessarily mean moving on from Cousins. I'm hoping it doesn't actually.

Even if we draft one this spring, Cousins is going to play here in 2023, which means year two in this offense, another year together for the OL. Cousins could explode. And then you'd extend him again. At that point, you have two very tradable assets. 
Yes you have to plan ahead and trust your coaching and development.  Kirk is here through 2023 (48 million dead cap hit if moved) but then the can stopped being kicked and 2024 we will have to answer the question of extending Kirk again.  

This would be the draft that we might be able to move up into the low teens if one of our highly rated QB's starts to fall.  Like the Bears did with moving up for Fields from the 20's recently.  Is Fields a franchise QB?  I don't know but the Bears had conviction and went for it at the most important position that is all I ask of Kwesi and the front office.  Again, Spelly who got Cousins would see the 48 dead cap hit next year and Kirk being good enough to not draft a QB maybe until the later rounds.  I don't want Kwesi to inherit Spelly's QB problem.  Next offseason I want Kwesi to be looking at 2024's QB situation with progression planning.  All this being said and if we don't deem any of the QB's worthy of a move up then so be it but there does seem to be a good 3 or 4 first round QB's.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Vikeking2 said:
@purplefaithful said:

Yes you have to plan ahead and trust your coaching and development.  Kirk is here through 2023 (48 million dead cap hit if moved) but then the can stopped being kicked and 2024 we will have to answer the question of extending Kirk again.  

This would be the draft that we might be able to move up into the low teens if one of our highly rated QB's starts to fall.  Like the Bears did with moving up for Fields from the 20's recently.  Is Fields a franchise QB?  I don't know but the Bears had conviction and went for it at the most important position that is all I ask of Kwesi and the front office.  Again, Spelly who got Cousins would see the 48 dead cap hit next year and Kirk being good enough to not draft a QB maybe until the later rounds.  I don't want Kwesi to inherit Spelly's QB problem.  Next offseason I want Kwesi to be looking at 2024's QB situation with progression planning.  All this being said and if we don't deem any of the QB's worthy of a move up then so be it but there does seem to be a good 3 or 4 first round QB's.  
technically the Can O Cousins has been kicked all the way through 25 already, as his last contract spread the bonus hits into un-contracted years of 24 and 25 for 6.25M each year,  not a huge amount but an extra 6.25 in FA would be damn helpful in improving areas of weakness in any offseason.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Vikeking2 said:
@purplefaithful said:

technically the Can O Cousins has been kicked all the way through 25 already, as his last contract spread the bonus hits into un-contracted years of 24 and 25 for 6.25M each year,  not a huge amount but an extra 6.25 in FA would be damn helpful in improving areas of weakness in any offseason.
Spotrac actually shows a dead cap 12.5 for 2024 which is not nothing, your right we might have Cousins for more than another year, but we still need to progression plan after the can stops spinning Smile