Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad or wtf decision
Quote: @HappyViking said:
Pretty sure they elected to receive the opening KO earlier this season, but they drove the field and scored.  KOC mentioned he wanted an early lead.I see a bigger problem with having the team prepared and play calling on offense and defense as a way bigger issue than the opening KO.
Actually, this was the first time we, or any of our opponents, elected to receive after winning the toss. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
Pretty sure they elected to receive the opening KO earlier this season, but they drove the field and scored.  KOC mentioned he wanted an early lead.I see a bigger problem with having the team prepared and play calling on offense and defense as a way bigger issue than the opening KO.
Actually, this was the first time we, or any of our opponents, elected to receive after winning the toss. 

I remembered thinking it was unusual the Vikes didn't defer after winning the coin toss against Chicago, and I remember KOC explaining the reasoning.  I found this article from that game.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/10/9/23394716/chicago-bears-minnesota-vikings-first-quarter-recap-second-quarter-discussion

We’ve made it through the first fifteen minutes at U.S. Bank Stadium with your Minnesota Vikings leading the Chicago Bears by a score of 7-3.
The Vikings won the coin toss and, rather than defer like
they usually do, chose to receive the kickoff instead.
Minnesota wanted
to set the tone early, and they did that on an opening drive where Kirk
Cousins went 7-for-7 and the Vikings moved the ball at will. After
Justin Jefferson was ruled down just short of a touchdown, Dalvin Cook
went over from a yard out to make it 7-0 in favor of the purple.

Quote: @comet52 said:
If Hockensen catches that pass they'd be up 7-3 with a decent stop on D after a fumble.  Not a bad position.  But they were physically dominated in the trenches all day and I think the outcome would have been the same.  To focus on who takes the opening kick is just, some sort of seeing a tree and missing the forest kinda deal.  It would have been 40-7 instead of 40-3, maybe.  It was not our day.
Yeah, not talking about the whole game, just the decision on the coin toss.  I'm certainly not blaming the shitshow on that decision.  That argument may have some merit although not a very strong argument.   All things considered I'm not sure why you take the ball in that situation, unless of course your hoping to save the fans energy/voices for the end of the game.  I said it to clients in the shop when it was announced that they would receive the ball instead of deferring.   Obviously there was a whole 58 mins to recover from the decision, but my point being.    It was a head scratcher to take the ball in that situation,  

Here's why, we were 6-0 when getting the first possession.

Week 1 Packers - got first possession and wonWeek 2 Eagles - got second possession and lostWeek 3 Lions - got second possession and wonWeek 4 Saints - got first possession and wonWeek 5 Bears - got first possession and wonWeek 6 Dolphins - got first possession and wonWeek 7 ByeWeek 8 Cardinals - got first possession and wonWeek 9 Commanders - got first possession and wonWeek 10 Bills - got second possession and wonWeek 11 Cowboys - got first possession and lost

Most of the games that I saw when the Vikings had their first offensive possession, they usually scored.  Disaster would come by later in the 3rd quarter.  KOC probably thought they could score first before Dallas made any adjustments.  Anyways, losing 40-3 this probably didn't affect the outcome of the game any.  A blowout is a blowout, if you can only muster 3 points.

@MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:

I remembered thinking it was unusual the Vikes didn't defer after winning the coin toss against Chicago, and I remember KOC explaining the reasoning.  I found this article from that game.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/10/9/23394716/chicago-bears-minnesota-vikings-first-quarter-recap-second-quarter-discussion

We’ve made it through the first fifteen minutes at U.S. Bank Stadium with your Minnesota Vikings leading the Chicago Bears by a score of 7-3.
Minnesota wanted

Interesting. But the box score says otherwise. Guess it could be wrong. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/b...090min.htm

@HappyViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:

Minnesota wanted

It's wrong, and obviously PFR didn't watch the game like I did. B)
KOC Presser.  Go to the 2:55 mark as he explains his reasoning for wanting the ball.https://www.vikings.com/video/o-connell-addresses-the-media-following-sunday-s-up-and-down-win-over-chicago

Quote: @FLVike said:
Here's why, we were 6-0 when getting the first possession.

Week 1 Packers - got first possession and wonWeek 2 Eagles - got second possession and lostWeek 3 Lions - got second possession and wonWeek 4 Saints - got first possession and wonWeek 5 Bears - got first possession and wonWeek 6 Dolphins - got first possession and wonWeek 7 ByeWeek 8 Cardinals - got first possession and wonWeek 9 Commanders - got first possession and wonWeek 10 Bills - got second possession and wonWeek 11 Cowboys - got first possession and lost
Pretty easy when you were 8-1

@MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:

Minnesota wanted

It's wrong, and obviously PFF didn't watch the game like I did. B)
KOC Presser.  Go to the 2:55 mark as he explains his reasoning for wanting the ball.https://www.vikings.com/video/o-connell-addresses-the-media-following-sunday-s-up-and-down-win-over-chicago

Confirmed. PFR's box score is wrong. NFL.com's box score shows the Vikings winning and electing to receive. Still think it's stupid...especially at home. It's just such an advantage to try to work the clock at the end of the half so you get the last score, then get the ball again after the half. Two straight possessions. It's like getting a turnover. It's why over 80% of teams defer now. 

I think the box score is wrong.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bears+vikings+2022+%22coin+toss%22&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS946US946&biw=1248&bih=916&sxsrf=ALiCzsYx3AXvU5VJPowbS89cQlxXA2Q_0w%3A1669067632865&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A10%2F8%2F2022%2Ccd_max%3A10%2F15%2F2022&tbm=

From the star trib:
Quote:They chose to take
the ball after winning the opening coin toss, with O'Connell opting to set a
forceful tone even if the Vikings' analytics staff "might get angry with
me at times for stuff like that." They traveled 86 yards on a 12-play
touchdown drive where Jefferson feasted on free releases and Cousins hit him
four times for 55 yards.
From Vikings.com:
Quote:Head Coach Kevin O'Connell opted to receive the ball after winning the coin toss, and the group was able to set the early tone.
"I just wanted to be aggressive, but there's no rule that says that you can't try to set the tone to play complementary football with your offense," O'Connell said. "We've got so much confidence in our quarterback, our group, our coaching staff on offense to help put together a great plan, that the easy part is really calling the plays and watching our guys have the plan come to life. I thought we were really good on third down. Kirk [Cousins] was dialed in from the jump, had a great rhythm to him."