Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad or wtf decision
The Vikings win the toss and elect to receive the opening kickoff.
That was a head scratcher.  Why would you do that?   your coming off an emotional improbable win, your 8-1 and your fan base is lubed up.  instead of making it a hostile environment ,you let the cowboys take control , silence the crowd and it was all down hill from there.    so quiet you could hear the music coming from the elevators  

[Image: joqaf78anu6h.gif]

Quote: @PapaScott said:
That was a head scratcher.  Why would you do that?   your coming off an emotional improbable win, your 8-1 and your fan base is lubed up.  instead of making it a hostile environment ,you let the cowboys take control , silence the crowd and it was all down hill from there.  
  so quiet you could hear the music coming from the elevators  
It wasn’t until Bill Belicheat kicked off in the SB if I remember correctly that teams always used to take the ball first. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@PapaScott said:
That was a head scratcher.  Why would you do that?   your coming off an emotional improbable win, your 8-1 and your fan base is lubed up.  instead of making it a hostile environment ,you let the cowboys take control , silence the crowd and it was all down hill from there.  
It wasn’t until Bill Belicheat kicked off in the SB if I remember correctly that teams always used to take the ball first. 
I don't remember when it was, but it all switched. There was a pretty good article about it. Before the big switch, 90% of teams who won the toss elected to receive. Now, 80% of teams who win the toss elect to defer...which is the best decision if you ask me...especially at home. 

Quote: @PapaScott said:
Agree. Not that this would've made a difference, but electing to receive...at home...was just stupid. And always will be. I couldn't believe it when I heard it. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@PapaScott said:
Agree. Not that this would've made a difference, but electing to receive...at home...was just stupid. And always will be. I couldn't believe it when I heard it. 
I think KOC is maybe as egotistical with his O as Zimmer was with his D,  I agree that taking that kick to start the game was just plain stupid,  you have a loud and rowdy fan base all jacked up from an extra long tailgate and you want them to sit down and be quiet to start the game?   Not to mention then Kirks fumble and you just lost the sober ones.

There is still a lot to be happy about with this team this year,  but the 2 losses and the fashion that they came are definitely going to cast a big shadow,  especially when you look at how they have struggled in their wins to really put teams away that they shouldnt be in 1 score games with.

I expect a better game Thursday,  but I will not be surprised at all if they take another L to Belicheat.

Pretty sure they elected to receive the opening KO earlier this season, but they drove the field and scored.  KOC mentioned he wanted an early lead.I see a bigger problem with having the team prepared and play calling on offense and defense as a way bigger issue than the opening KO.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
Pretty sure they elected to receive the opening KO earlier this season, but they drove the field and scored.  KOC mentioned he wanted an early lead.I see a bigger problem with having the team prepared and play calling on offense and defense as a way bigger issue than the opening KO.
Of course. No one would argue that the coin toss was the reason, or even part of the reason, we lost. Just one among many head scratching decisions we made. 

If Hockensen catches that pass they'd be up 7-3 with a decent stop on D after a fumble.  Not a bad position.  But they were physically dominated in the trenches all day and I think the outcome would have been the same.  To focus on who takes the opening kick is just, some sort of seeing a tree and missing the forest kinda deal.  It would have been 40-7 instead of 40-3, maybe.  It was not our day.

Quote: @comet52 said:
If Hockensen catches that pass they'd be up 7-3 with a decent stop on D after a fumble.  Not a bad position.  But they were physically dominated in the trenches all day and I think the outcome would have been the same.  To focus on who takes the opening kick is just, some sort of seeing a tree and missing the forest kinda deal.  It would have been 40-7 instead of 40-3, maybe.  It was not our day.
nobody is focusing on that as some sort of turning moment in the loss,  just that in a game of inches, somethings that KOC is doing are head scratchers... you get your ass smoked like that and nothing is off the table for scrutiny.